Shark diseases??

Health relating issues for sharks and rays

Shark diseases??

tannersmith2000
Bamboo shark
tannersmith2000
Bamboo shark

17 Mar 2017, 01:37 #1

Can sharks specifically carpet sharks get ich, brookenylla, velvet or are they immune to these diseases?

Thanks

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

17 Mar 2017, 03:58 #2

Yes, It is possible for sharks to get marine ich, marine velvet and other similar parasitic infections. Although it's very rare that they do so.

Typically if a shark is in a tank/pond when one of these parasitic infections hits - it best to also treat the shark along with the other fishes. even if the shark is not displaying any outward signs of infection - they could still be carriers, and possible re-infect the tank.
Bigger is Better - especially with shark tanks

tannersmith2000
Bamboo shark
tannersmith2000
Bamboo shark

18 Mar 2017, 13:23 #3

Thank you so much for the reply. I have a scare going on at the moment. I purchased a pair of clownfish, put them in QT and made the horrendous mistake of taking them out of QT earlier than I should had. I placed them in a 90 gallon shallow reef tank directly beside my 300 gallon shark pond that houses some large tangs and a couple of angels. It houses two eppies.

The 90 gallon shallow reef tank got infected with ich and velvet. Luckily I removed all the fish and placed them in QT utilizing an initial FW dip and copper for treatment. They are not heavily infected. They are just showing initial signs. Lucky for me, I caught this early and they should have a shot of pulling through this.

A small splash of water (indirectly) went into the 300 gallon tank. I am freaking out because it's now possible this tank will get infected with the small splash.

It may be okay and it may not. I need some advice what to do if this tank does in fact become another nightmare situation.

How would you treat for ich and velvet with sharks added to the mix. I cannot lose my sharks.

I know sharks are intolerant of copper. What else can I do?

I am being VERY proactive here.

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

19 Mar 2017, 04:34 #4

True copper based meds - should be used as an absolutely last resort, especially with sharks and rays.

There are some copper-free ich medications available - which are much safer, and easier to use - such as Kick Ich by Ruby Reef.

In addition there are some good preventative treatments using garlic, and uv sterilizers.

Bigger is Better - especially with shark tanks

alprazo
Bonnethead
alprazo
Bonnethead

20 May 2017, 15:19 #5

I've use chloroquine multiple times with great success. Velvet is much more of a concern. Ich is tolerated well with sharks, at least to the point were they won't succumb to the disease.