captive breeding programs

Discuss The Illegal Species, And Law Restrictions On Keeping Sharks.

captive breeding programs

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

18 Jan 2016, 04:47 #1

While at present it's still possible to import various types of sharks and rays into North America.

I believe in the U.S. Fish & Wildlife may someday close down that possibility. Exactly when I don't know - but it is something that has happen with other types of animals - like parrots and various reptiles.

When they do private aquarists while no longer be able to get wild caught sharks and rays. The only species we will be able to get are the few species which are regularly bred in the U.S. And most of those will jump in price as there availability drops.
Bigger is Better - especially with shark tanks

Cu455
Blacktip Reef
Cu455
Blacktip Reef

18 Jan 2016, 14:02 #2

All it is going to take is one documentary until all the Facebook conservationist have an uproar and start tweeting out #SharkLivesMatter. Then a few politicians will pressure Fish and Wildlife to make stricter regulations based on no facts but only because a 1,000 people out of 320 million people signed a petition and put it on their wall. Someone might even use a phone and a pen.

The only things the Mother Teressa's of Facebook do is make a post every few days about the cause of the moment to make themselves feel better about not voting, not partaking in anything that actually does good, not volunteer their time and not donate a penny to any charity. They feel they do good for the world by coming up with creative hash tags and liking peoples posts.

With that said #RandPaul2016

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

19 Jan 2016, 05:12 #3

Well I highly doubt that a single petition with 1,000 signatures is all it would take get a few politicians. After all most any issue these days can get at least 1,000 signatures on Facebook.

Most likely the U.S. Fish & Wildlife would ban the importation of sharks as those species reach vulnerable or endangered status.

Remember right the big issue related to sharks is about stopping shark finning. But after that issue is solved - then I expect that they might decide to do a ban on the importation of sharks.

Cu455
Blacktip Reef
Cu455
Blacktip Reef

19 Jan 2016, 13:22 #4

The 1,000 signatures was just a number thrown out there. Species can get banned for tons of reasons, sometimes it is at the local level and spreads. All snakeheads are banned, in NY piranhas are illegal, lots of states freshwater stingrays. There is a sign in the fish store I go to that says something like all wild caught birds are illegal to sell or possess in NY, or something like that.

There are animals which aren't endangered or threatened were it is illegal to bring in any part of the animal. These regulations were passed with hunters in mind, but there are those unintended consequences. After Cecil the lion got shot there were politicians trying to bring bills up to block the importation of all animals and animal parts from Africa.

Somewhere in Washington there is a group of people who sit around thinking what can we regulate and banned next? What creative ways can we achieve it? While I don't think there will be laws passed with the intent of harming people who want to have a eppie or bamboo shark, we will be the unintended consequences of a general ban or regulations.

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

19 Jan 2016, 21:07 #5

While I agree there are several state laws which restrict or prohibit sharks and stingrays.

Also I'm sure that when the importation ban on sharks and rays comes - that it will be a federal one.

But federal bans & restrictions rarely seem to affect captive bred animals - they are usually refer to wild caught ones.

However - state & local laws tend to restrict what species a person can keep.

Which is the reason for calling for private sharks aquarists to start captive breeding programs - so that other sharks aquarists can still have much of the same species diversity as we presently have.

Brown-banded Bamboos, White-spotted Bamboos and Coral Catsharks are being breed in captivity. A few epaulettes are as well. But not in the numbers that the Bamboos, and Coral Catsharks are.

While other Catsharks, Horn Sharks, Wobbegongs, Blind Sharks, Short-tailed Nurse, Smooth hounds, Leopards, as well as WTR, & BTR are rarely being bred in captivity by private aquarists.

Cu455
Blacktip Reef
Cu455
Blacktip Reef

20 Jan 2016, 21:25 #6

Are there commercial places that breed sharks, such as an ORA or Sea and Reefs type place? The Atlantis aquarium in NY has captive breed chain catsharks and white spotted which are sold to the public. Other then that what do aquariums do with their captive breed sharks? I have seen aquarium displays which were based on eggs found in the tank and have read articles about aquarium breeding sharks. Where do the sharks end up?

It is a good idea to breed them. I want to pick up a pair of the not so new anymore eppies soon. I think my white spotted was captive bred, but I am unsure. The egg was covered in coraline algae.

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

21 Jan 2016, 08:33 #7

I'm not sure about commercial places - As I recall both of those places don't breed sharks.

However I saw Tropicorium in Romulus, Michgan still breeds sharks. Last I checked they are breeding Ocellated Epaulettes, White-spotted Bamboos, Coral Catsharks, California Horn Sharks, Gray Smooth hounds, and Zebra Sharks.

Also there is Canadian Marine Aquaculture run by one of our administrators - Chris Avila. He only deals with benthic species - but at last count has at least 16 different species he's attempting to breed.

It's possible that there may be a few more - but right now I don't know of any.

As for what public aquariums do with their captive bred sharks - sometimes they keep them behind the scenes, sometimes they sale or give them to other public aquariums, once and while they actually release them back into the wild, and sometimes they will offer them for sale to certain private aquarists.

biggiesmalls
Bonnethead
biggiesmalls
Bonnethead

28 Jan 2016, 17:42 #8

I agree with KRJ, any ban on elasmobranchs will likely be federal. State laws will regulate the captive bred sharks and rays and they will just be that much harder to get. It's barely a matter of if, but when.

However I do think that in order to get any kind of shark or ray for your aquarium, you should need a permit, however it should be free and just require you to have a certain sized and type of environment for the animal(s) and there should also be knowledgeable people creating this law - people who have worked with public aquariums like ZooDiver are probably the best bet as they have cared for sharks and seen them in their wild habitats so have experience in both realms. If we have some random guy in congress creating this law, you're going to need a 6,000 gallon just for a cat shark, and a 2 million gallon to keep that blacktip you want.

As for breeding, I do think there should be more shark breeders as well. The only problem is space - you would need to replicate the natural environment very closely, and this would take an immensely large pool or aquarium in order to do. Public aquariums do breed sharks, but due to bans they would only trade sharks with other public aquariums - it would become very hard to get sharp pups this way.
"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow"

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

29 Jan 2016, 08:10 #9

If we have some random guy in congress creating this law, you're going to need a 6,000 gallon just for a cat shark, and a 2 million gallon to keep that blacktip you want.

Federal laws virtually never include limits on tank/cage sizes for animals. Usually they can just put certain limits on the importation or trafficking of specific animals.

While State & Local laws may be able restrict which species a private aquarist can keep. But usually those are restricted to a single family - much like California's restriction on Carcharhinids. So far the most restrictive state is Arizona - since the only species a private aquarists is allowed to keep the following families without a permit - Bamboo/Epaulettes(Hemiscylliidae), Catsharks (Scyliorhinidae), Wobbegongs (Orectolobidae),Blind Sharks (Brachaeluridae), & (Smoothhound) Triakidae.

biggiesmalls
Bonnethead
biggiesmalls
Bonnethead

29 Jan 2016, 13:50 #10

Yeah, that's good that there aren't too many places where you can't keep most sharks. Hopefully that doesn't change soon though.
"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow"