Forum rules
Forum Rules: [url=http://w11.zetaboards.com/SFxT_Mods/single/?p=8264257&t=11526779]Click Here and Read Before Posting or Making a New Thread (UPDATE: Point 6, 7 & 8 are revised) [/url]
RFE

March 24th, 2016, 9:58 am #1241

Bloody Rain wrote:@PFunk

How??? What could Gaga and I be doing that's so different from how you imported her?
I have no idea if Terry noticed but his Laura bikini mod is clipping all over the place as well. Crotch and the strings on the side, back and top.

@GagaSlays Looking forward to the bra on her Kinda expected it to be there from the start and think it'll probably look better than the og. Black, right?

March 24th, 2016, 10:09 am #1242

@Sketchy : on your end most of your work will be done in quads. (there are multiple technical reasons for that which would be full topics in and out themselves, but put broadly : structurally speaking this is more flexible for you as the modeler, and it also helps during weighting). Internally games work with triangles though, and this has a few consequences :

- At some point you will learn about texture baking, and most importantly normalmap baking from a high resolution source model down to the game model. This step needs to be done in triangles so that the data 100% matches with what the game uses internally.
- To achieve that in Blender, simply add a triangulate modifier on top of your lowpolygon model. The diagonals will be written on export.

For what it's worth, here's an example of a model with its global triangulation modifier turned off - you can see that even at this stage not everything is in quads. Tris can be used to avoid ambiguity on curved surfaces, as well as a way to branch polygon loops (like transitioning from three loops to two for instance) . http://i.imgur.com/ZtM9azR.jpg

March 24th, 2016, 10:21 am #1243

@PFunks & all modders:
If you want to make new thread for some specific topics, be my guest.

March 24th, 2016, 10:37 am #1244

RFE wrote:I have no idea if Terry noticed but his Laura bikini mod is clipping all over the place as well. Crotch and the strings on the side, back and top.
All my mod are still in a beta stage, im busy looking for new ways for make custom materials, anyway soon as I have some time I update all.

March 24th, 2016, 2:25 pm #1245

Modeling is a giant pain in my ass :curse:

So close & yet so far :mad:

March 24th, 2016, 3:35 pm #1246

Thanky you PFunk! I understand what you're saying, and I am relieved to know I wasnt setting myself up for disaster using quads. I can model with less worry now

March 24th, 2016, 4:19 pm #1247

@RFE thanks! I've based it on this fan-art: http://omar-dogan.deviantart.com/art/La ... -598259188 so yeah it will be black

@PFunk if you still wouldn't mind testing this, here is the .fbx for the shirt! It's already triangulated & should be in the perfect position when you import it

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwB-X ... XZzTEIxQkE

March 24th, 2016, 7:09 pm #1248

@GagaSlays

Wow, despite me being "pro cleavage" I somehow find that Laura's design is more visually appealing with that black undershirt???
I think it's a color balance/placement/distribution thing. Like Superman's red underwear, it just looks better with it there.

March 25th, 2016, 12:58 am #1249

Man... the failures that come along with trying new things..
I have been modeling stuff all day long just to finally finish with my goal for the day... and find out tons of body parts got multiplied messing up the whole model...

Deleted User
Deleted User

March 25th, 2016, 2:06 am #1250

Okay so I finished my Cammy mod but something was off about her muscles that was bothering me all the time, they didn't looked like her original look. I tried everything from looking at UVs, importing the model again to injecting the original textures but nothing fixed it so after hours of head hitting :curse: I found something really interesting about the normal maps :ohmy:

Apparently a problem is going unnoticed while saving/injecting the normal maps. Take a look at this normal map using UModel

PIC-1

PIC-1 is Cammy's original normal map, now if you extract this using UModel as TGA then open in Photoshop, save it and insert back in UASSET, you'll get below look in modified UASSET.

PIC-2

Notice how the red spectrum have changed into green and green into red in PIC-2. This produces a lot of problems in details, for example

CORRECT LOOK

PIC-3

WRONG LOOK

PIC-4

Notice the loss of muscle detail on her arm in PIC-4, also look at the glove. Another example below

CORRECT LOOK

PIC-5

WRONG LOOK

PIC-6

Notice her knees and muscles on thighs in PIC-6.

So the problem is for some reason UModel is extracting normal map with red and green channels swapped. You'll have to fix them by swapping red and green ones, blue should remain as it is. How I verified this ? if you open an original normal map UASSET in hex then copy the data from offset 80 to EOF and paste it in a DDS file of same size (Should have 3Dc compression) then you'll get this look in Photoshop.

PIC-7

Now below is the look you get when you open a UModel extracted normal map

PIC-8

Swapping the red and green channels of PIC-8 give you the look of PIC-7 i.e. original normal map, then injecting it back into UASSET gives you the correct look in UModel as shown in PIC-9

PIC-9

I suppose that's also the reason why R.Mika has a weird looking blue shadow below her neck (selection screen) in any mod that has tinkered normal map. I will check this further tomorrow, hope this helps.