Forum rules
Forum Rules: [url=http://w11.zetaboards.com/SFxT_Mods/single/?p=8264257&t=11526779]Click Here and Read Before Posting or Making a New Thread (UPDATE: Point 6, 7 & 8 are revised) [/url]

March 21st, 2016, 11:13 pm #1161

@fatihG_

Yes, the physics asset is what I'm toying with, you can create an entirely new one in UE4 editor and SFV will use it just the same

You don't need blueprints for this, just open up the physics asset in the editor. From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any limits on it other than the skeletal hierarchy (which I intend to test if that's even really a limit). But you could, for example: Make someones left arm be rag doll if you assign the right physics objects to it.

It took a lot of trial an error to figure out which settings to use and what they mean.
Kinematic means no physics (but can still provide collision),
simulated means that it will solve but won't be affected by it's parent (I think)
default means it follows the parent bone, and then reacts to physics on top of that.

Any bones can use physics, you can make the whole top half of your character rag doll just for fun LOL
Yes you can delete all physics bodies, and SFV won't care, it will just run the character without simulation. This is what I'm doing for my tests.

March 21st, 2016, 11:28 pm #1162

Very cool stuff Bloody Rain ! Can't wait to read more on that, that sounds extremely useful.
I made some good progress with cloth sim on my end (Maya and Max-free) but there are still a few things I need to investigate further. I should be able to get there soon though - I just want to make sure that it all works predictably by doing a real, practical example.

March 22nd, 2016, 1:19 am #1163

I know most of the people here prefer using Blender but you have to know that Epic (UE4), Autodesk (3ds max & maya) and NVIDIA (PhysX) are producing complementary tools (obviously used by Capcom/Dimps as they were already working with Autodesk on SF4).
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/IN ... l#clothmap
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/IN ... index.html
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/APEX_Clot ... x)_-_Video
https://developer.nvidia.com/clothing
https://developer.nvidia.com/apex-cloth ... -tutorials

To download tools/plugins from NVIDIA, you need to register to NVIDIA GameWorks Registered Developer Program: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload
You can get the DCC plugin for 3dsmax/maya or the stand alone NVIDIA PhysXLab/PhysX: APEX SDK.

maliwei777 from 3dm boards made a short tutorial to show how to import apex clothing from 3dsmax to UE4 and shows the result ingame: http://bbs.3dmgame.com/thread-5052718-1-2.html

March 22nd, 2016, 1:26 am #1164

Yeah, the tools are all there - and there is even a standalone version which doesn't require Max or Maya. I am trying to see if I can get consistent results out of it. Let's give Cammy a cape ! haha

March 22nd, 2016, 1:26 am #1165

I wonder what the "include prerequisites" option does?

March 22nd, 2016, 1:26 am #1166

@PFunk: Bison needs one, Cammy needs pants.

@Bloody Rain: the first part of his tutorial is basically translating TerryXX tutorial in chinese (he checked prerequesite too).

March 22nd, 2016, 3:28 am #1167

Some findings regarding the physics asset:

There seems to be a different physics asset for character intro's, match victory pose, and story mode cutscenes. All those events use a physics asset that's different from the gameplay physics asset.

I deleted R.Mika's pigtails physics, they're stiff as a board, but they gain physics during her intro and victory pose. This is really strange, and I can't justify why this is.
My current theory is that those scenes use higher quality simulations since they don't need to worry about FPS during them.

Thoughts?

March 22nd, 2016, 4:13 am #1168

@Bloody Rain:
With your recent discovery of physic effect in game, will that help us to fix some issues like Ken's hair clips through his shoulder when in P2 side of char select screen or fix for female characters not having the same boobs bounce effect when not in P2 side of char select screen?

March 22nd, 2016, 4:25 am #1169

@robhal

Yes...and no...

Ken's hair clipping through his shoulder can definitely be fixed, it just requires adding a collision object on his shoulder.
However, the P2 select screen glitch is still present no matter what parameters I edit.

It honestly seems like a prank someone did during development, because the parameters to change it are completely unknown. It's like there is some external force is at work, making the physics wacky on P2 side.
Really strange stuff. :curious:

March 22nd, 2016, 5:15 am #1170

Here comes SuperCammy

The following is all I know about authoring Apex cloth with the standalone tool (that is to say : not using the Max or Maya plugins) :

- The tool is called "ClothingToolCHECKED.exe", part of the Nvidia Physx tools. I've only used the 32bit version as per a suggestion I saw online - I have no idea if the 64bit version actually works (it probably has bugs ?).

- Since Apex cloth is tied to material slots, there are a few weird things about the system. For instance, the main character FBX (used for the main import in UE) might or might not need to have the cloth polygons in it (I am getting conflicting results on my tests about this - I feel like the cloth bits do not necessarily have be in the main FBX, but the non-cloth bits seem to be required in the sim FBX. It's weird !). However one thing is certain : you need to make sure that the main model has at least some polygons assigned to the material eventually linked to the cloth sim file, because if not it the required material slot won't show up in UE on import in the first place.

- Steps to generate cloth sim in the standalone tool :

1 - Import the FBX used for sim (not your whole character - only the parts that match the material slot you will dedicate to Apex simulation in UE.)
2 - Painting max distance values (that tells how far each vert can travel, about 1.0 meter max for a cape/trench coat). Right-click erases. Set the max value to 1, scale to 1, and then put the paint slider to the strength you want to paint (here I used 1.0 at the bottom of a cape, and 0.1 at the shoulders). Once done click smooth once to smooth everything nicely.
3 - Painting slave latching. This tells which inner verts are going to be driven by outer verts, thus avoiding interpenetration. Make sure that you paint slave latching all the way to the edge of the fabric, if not it will flip on itself during sim.
4 - Running a first test sim to see if everything is fine, adjusting fabric properties if needed
5 - Save your workspace !
6 - Working on collision volumes. This is tricky, and a bit buggy. I've only been able to generate volumes based on bones initially present in the weighting of the model, meaning that even though a cape is not supposed to be weighted to an arm, I had to make sure that at least some verts were weighted to that bone ; if not, the program seemed to refuse to generate collision from these bones, even though they show up in the armature tree. And in order for collision volumes to show up at a predictable location I had to include thin polygon strips coming from, say, the surface of the arms and legs. Not necessary, but it saves me some time when it comes to positioning collision capsules.
7 - Tweaking fabric properties
8 - Generating a final sim, calculating tangents, generating the cloth mesh, saving the asset. This creates the .apx file for UE

I am getting an odd UV/material issue on Cammy's leotard here, probably an oversight on my end at some point in the process. It is probably not relevant to sim anyways but that might need to be double-checked.

That's about it !