You can turn a Mustang into a Shelby >>>

You can turn a Mustang into a Shelby >>>

December 9th, 2009, 7:06 am #1

But its still a Mustang. Everyone knows that!

So what happens when you turn a Seiko..........................

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1020502501

into a TAG Heuer ?

Lots and lots of Swiss jilly jive, thats what happens.

http://www.worldtempus.com/en/news/top- ... iber-1887/

http://www.calibre11.com/1887-calibre/

Question is?
Did Tag turn the Seiko into a Cobra?
LOL. I dont think for one minute that they (TH) can improve on Seiko`s escapement and pinning system found in the 6s37. I just dont see that happening. Trade the Seiko Diafix and the MOVABLE curb pin for ETA Etcha sketch stuff. Na, no way!. They removed the movable curb pin the dolts!!!
This from the people that brought you the rubber band movement beating at 18000 bph.

"Tag", is not one of my favorite sounds.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Specializing in Seikology, Seikotherapy, and other Horological Dis-ease.
Made in the U.S.A.

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"
Last edited by DrSeiko on December 10th, 2009, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 9th, 2009, 12:49 pm #2

Quoted from the same WUS tread.

"Hi, I'm J.C. Babin the CEO of TAG Heuer, and YES, the new Caliber 1887 is based on a SII (Seiko Instruments Inc.) TC78 platform developped and patented in 1997 (filing) and eversince produced in very limited quantities, apparently for Junghans and Seiko watches in Japan. The caliber we propose and announced last week in London is a major evolution of this platform even though I aknowledge that the overall construction may look similar at first glance. However, the TAG Heuer movement is much different in terms of components, size and eventually performances, not to mention it is manufactured (all its key components including plate, bridges, assortment, cannon pinion, eccentrics etc....) in Switzerland in TAG Heuer workshops of Cornol (Cortech - a company owned by TAG Heuer and already producing TAG Heuer and Zenith cases) and La Chaux-de-Fonds (where we have also the HQs and where we added 30.000 sq feet more last year for movements assembling and other manufacturig projects) as well as from "best in class" partners such as Nivarox.
- Dimensions: it's broader (29.3 mm vs 28 mm) and thinner (7.13 mm vs 7.27 mm)
- Therefore the main plate, bridges - especially the chronograph bridge - and oscillating mass have been significantly modified to allow this evolution
- Its assortment is a swiss asortment specifically developped by Nivarox for TAG Heuer, and allowing to improve further accuracy and shocks resistancy
- New assortment centring of the balance wheel also specifically developped by KIF, a leading swiss expert company in balance wheels centrings
- Change and development of a new swiss engineered cannon pinion to increase time-setting overtime reliability
- Redesign of the fixing of ball bearings of the mass to contribute reducing the thickness
- Adjustements to pass the famous "60 TAG Heuer torture tests" in terms of accuracy, reliability, thermical and physical shocks resistancy, chemical agressions etc....
We have today already 45 TAG Heuer people working full time on that project in Switzerland and work with 21 other suppliers for additional parts, most being swiss. Total investment is several tenth of mio USD.
I would therefore qualify that movement as really in-house and manufactured by TAG Heuer even though, yes, the original IP has been acquired from SII. Please note that the original SII Caliber has always been praised by watches experts.
I hope I answer your questions as well as our fellow Watchuseek lovers !!!
Good evening - JCB"

December 9th, 2009, 2:42 pm #3

Eyal Lalo spin

------------------------------------------

December 9th, 2009, 5:19 pm #4

Quoted from the same WUS tread.

"Hi, I'm J.C. Babin the CEO of TAG Heuer, and YES, the new Caliber 1887 is based on a SII (Seiko Instruments Inc.) TC78 platform developped and patented in 1997 (filing) and eversince produced in very limited quantities, apparently for Junghans and Seiko watches in Japan. The caliber we propose and announced last week in London is a major evolution of this platform even though I aknowledge that the overall construction may look similar at first glance. However, the TAG Heuer movement is much different in terms of components, size and eventually performances, not to mention it is manufactured (all its key components including plate, bridges, assortment, cannon pinion, eccentrics etc....) in Switzerland in TAG Heuer workshops of Cornol (Cortech - a company owned by TAG Heuer and already producing TAG Heuer and Zenith cases) and La Chaux-de-Fonds (where we have also the HQs and where we added 30.000 sq feet more last year for movements assembling and other manufacturig projects) as well as from "best in class" partners such as Nivarox.
- Dimensions: it's broader (29.3 mm vs 28 mm) and thinner (7.13 mm vs 7.27 mm)
- Therefore the main plate, bridges - especially the chronograph bridge - and oscillating mass have been significantly modified to allow this evolution
- Its assortment is a swiss asortment specifically developped by Nivarox for TAG Heuer, and allowing to improve further accuracy and shocks resistancy
- New assortment centring of the balance wheel also specifically developped by KIF, a leading swiss expert company in balance wheels centrings
- Change and development of a new swiss engineered cannon pinion to increase time-setting overtime reliability
- Redesign of the fixing of ball bearings of the mass to contribute reducing the thickness
- Adjustements to pass the famous "60 TAG Heuer torture tests" in terms of accuracy, reliability, thermical and physical shocks resistancy, chemical agressions etc....
We have today already 45 TAG Heuer people working full time on that project in Switzerland and work with 21 other suppliers for additional parts, most being swiss. Total investment is several tenth of mio USD.
I would therefore qualify that movement as really in-house and manufactured by TAG Heuer even though, yes, the original IP has been acquired from SII. Please note that the original SII Caliber has always been praised by watches experts.
I hope I answer your questions as well as our fellow Watchuseek lovers !!!
Good evening - JCB"
The right man is not on WUS right now to ask the right questions, LOL.

I got something on my tongue, "Tag", "tag" I cant get it off, LOLOL.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.

December 9th, 2009, 7:10 pm #5

But its still a Mustang. Everyone knows that!

So what happens when you turn a Seiko..........................

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1020502501

into a TAG Heuer ?

Lots and lots of Swiss jilly jive, thats what happens.

http://www.worldtempus.com/en/news/top- ... iber-1887/

http://www.calibre11.com/1887-calibre/

Question is?
Did Tag turn the Seiko into a Cobra?
LOL. I dont think for one minute that they (TH) can improve on Seiko`s escapement and pinning system found in the 6s37. I just dont see that happening. Trade the Seiko Diafix and the MOVABLE curb pin for ETA Etcha sketch stuff. Na, no way!. They removed the movable curb pin the dolts!!!
This from the people that brought you the rubber band movement beating at 18000 bph.

"Tag", is not one of my favorite sounds.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.

...and although we will never know the true story, I'd love to know how Tag ended up using a Seiko movement as the base for this new caliber.

Was it because they found it to be the most technologically advanced solution?

Was it a pricing decision?

Was it a matter of availability....in other words, was Seiko more accomodating than eta in supplying movements as needed?

Had they tested the eta and Seiko products and determined that the Seiko was the toughest and most trouble free?

Were they hedging their bets hoping that if they used the Seiko instead of a 7750 no one would notice when they claimed in house production?

Maybe a combination of all the above?

We will never know, but it sure is odd that we will soon be seeing Seikos in Tag Heuer watches.

Japanese Watch Enthusiasts:http://www.gmtplusnine.com

December 9th, 2009, 11:01 pm #6

Interesting perhaps, but not a cosmic event. Surely the bottom line played the biggest part in these decisions. The atypical Swiss explanations and deceptions after words are merely typical Swiss window dressing.

Bla, bla bla.

If I had but one wish, one question. I would ask Mr Babin how exactly does the change in the escapement result in better accuracy? I know the real reason these parts have been changed out, and the Seiko`s accuracy potential is not in question.

If I had two wishes, I would ask their company to stop talking in BS Swiss-ease and refer to parts in such a manor that did`nt leave the reader wondering what the heck they are talking about, what part exactly. I`ve been around long enough to know that some of thier language being used here is new and contrived. Again, atypical Swiss marketing.

BTW, everyone knows the wheel was invented in Switzerland, don't they? Heck yes, how was the watch created without the wheel? The entire concept of things that are round originates in the swiss alps, from snowballs running down hill.

Randall
Made in the U.S.A.

December 9th, 2009, 11:07 pm #7

Eyal Lalo spin

------------------------------------------

You had to be there.
Made in the U.S.A.

December 9th, 2009, 11:15 pm #8

nt

December 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm #9

Interesting perhaps, but not a cosmic event. Surely the bottom line played the biggest part in these decisions. The atypical Swiss explanations and deceptions after words are merely typical Swiss window dressing.

Bla, bla bla.

If I had but one wish, one question. I would ask Mr Babin how exactly does the change in the escapement result in better accuracy? I know the real reason these parts have been changed out, and the Seiko`s accuracy potential is not in question.

If I had two wishes, I would ask their company to stop talking in BS Swiss-ease and refer to parts in such a manor that did`nt leave the reader wondering what the heck they are talking about, what part exactly. I`ve been around long enough to know that some of thier language being used here is new and contrived. Again, atypical Swiss marketing.

BTW, everyone knows the wheel was invented in Switzerland, don't they? Heck yes, how was the watch created without the wheel? The entire concept of things that are round originates in the swiss alps, from snowballs running down hill.

Randall
Made in the U.S.A.

That's the basis for the whole Swiss Brand watchmaking thing. There's a lot of money being spent by consumers who think they are buying something that really isn't as special or exclusive as they are led to believe.

The Swiss Watch Houses (most, but not all) have to protect and continue to propogate that as much as they can....their businesses depend on it.

December 9th, 2009, 11:31 pm #10

nt

NOT ,

Be he did show them all how its done, LOL.
Made in the U.S.A.