We have to stop talking about watches momentarily, :(

We have to stop talking about watches momentarily, :(

December 20th, 2009, 6:15 pm #1

And start talking about Forums, Buwahahahahah.

No, its nothing like that, ha, ha.

What do you want in a forum?

Do I hear Everything!!!

Seriously, what do YOU want in a forum? Do you want something specific, do you like something you`ve seen elsewhere? By now I`m sure you`ve figured out where this is going,

Cheers.
Randall
Made in the U.S.A.

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"
Last edited by DrSeiko on December 20th, 2009, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2009, 11:29 pm #2

that is part of the Philippine Horology site I belong to is:

View & reply counters. Why useful? It helps the "poster" (writer) know what content the rest of the membership likes to see. Over on PH, I can "tune" my postings to some degree by examining the view counters of both my own posts & other member's postings. Some will get 500+ while others will only get a couple dozen over a week to a month. At least I can know not to spend lots of time researching & writing something that only a handful of other members really want to take the time to read & instead try to develop a post that can be more "pleasing" or "interesting" to a wider range of members. In some cases, it could just be a matter of a different style of presentation (of the same content), but just in a more "appealing" manner than a "serious" historical (or technical) piece [since only a small percentage of those members really go in for the "serious" stuff].

I do like the way posts get re-ordered here (pushed to top for new replies), so I'd like to keep that too...

I do like a well structured FAQ section and/or a fairly powerful, but user-friendly search engine, especially for our type of content (lots of "facts" buried in this forum that can come in handy when researching). So, making them real easy to find can be a big plus.

It would also be nice if there were a photo posting/storage facility included (if not cost prohibitive). PH had one "embedded" until they moved to a new version of the software over there & it got removed Now folks have to rely on their own Photobucket, etc. to post photos there. For a decent photo database it would be nice to have a consolidated site where all the photos can be stored [eliminates the "broken link" problem when folks re-arrange their personal photo albums & forget that photos are referenced in forums, etc.].

I guess that's it for now. How about other folks??

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

December 21st, 2009, 12:01 am #3

But THAT sounds guud,

Cheers,
Randall
Made in the U.S.A.

December 21st, 2009, 2:06 am #4

Could we do a chat system inbedded so if we see someone on we can talk watches or ask some questions? I know sometimes it does well and sometimes not. If it is really expensive then don't worry about it. I personally like the personal connection that a chat does.

December 21st, 2009, 2:09 am #5

I`m the one that mentioned EVERYTHING!!!!

Made in the U.S.A.

December 21st, 2009, 3:13 am #6

that is part of the Philippine Horology site I belong to is:

View & reply counters. Why useful? It helps the "poster" (writer) know what content the rest of the membership likes to see. Over on PH, I can "tune" my postings to some degree by examining the view counters of both my own posts & other member's postings. Some will get 500+ while others will only get a couple dozen over a week to a month. At least I can know not to spend lots of time researching & writing something that only a handful of other members really want to take the time to read & instead try to develop a post that can be more "pleasing" or "interesting" to a wider range of members. In some cases, it could just be a matter of a different style of presentation (of the same content), but just in a more "appealing" manner than a "serious" historical (or technical) piece [since only a small percentage of those members really go in for the "serious" stuff].

I do like the way posts get re-ordered here (pushed to top for new replies), so I'd like to keep that too...

I do like a well structured FAQ section and/or a fairly powerful, but user-friendly search engine, especially for our type of content (lots of "facts" buried in this forum that can come in handy when researching). So, making them real easy to find can be a big plus.

It would also be nice if there were a photo posting/storage facility included (if not cost prohibitive). PH had one "embedded" until they moved to a new version of the software over there & it got removed Now folks have to rely on their own Photobucket, etc. to post photos there. For a decent photo database it would be nice to have a consolidated site where all the photos can be stored [eliminates the "broken link" problem when folks re-arrange their personal photo albums & forget that photos are referenced in forums, etc.].

I guess that's it for now. How about other folks??

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors
I addition to your list Don.

My list includes the ability to reject or round file obscene log ins, LOL.
And still let the regulars show up as members! Posting only by the Membership, but available to ALL for viewing. Kinda like Watch you Seek,

This is IMPOSSIBLE with nutwork 54`s antiquated system, mostly due to the incompetence of the powers that be (Nutwork 54`s owners I guess).

Thats what I want for Christmas, LOL.
Please Santa, a OPEN forum that has MEMBERS that dont get attacked just because they are popular. Yaaaaaaaa.
Ohh, and all the bells and whistles that are the norm,

Its coming!!!

Cheers,
Randall
Made in the U.S.A.

December 21st, 2009, 4:19 am #7

Randall, I'm really happy that you are thinking outside the N54 box.
There are so many more better options for forum hosting; not the least of which allow you control over trolls.

Format is very important. Firstly, you have to accommodate those who don't want change and you you should make it attractive to those who like the newer ways of forum navigation. Most of the newer programs and hosts offer user choices that cover everything from the constipated format that the SCWF rigidly follows to other formats that allow the user to chose how he/she wishes to view and surf the sites.

Additionally, most of the modern offerings are smoother, faster and almost 'F10 cat free'

Glad you're looking forward

------------------------------------------

December 21st, 2009, 4:58 am #8

refgarding my Questions 5106--5606--mvts Jewels ect
Yoy and Randall really cleared much up for me I wrote a very liong response but it in draft and felt it was way to long w/o a pic so THANK YOU.
Russell seikozen

Russell Anthany Iadanza

December 23rd, 2009, 4:15 am #9

Randall, I'm really happy that you are thinking outside the N54 box.
There are so many more better options for forum hosting; not the least of which allow you control over trolls.

Format is very important. Firstly, you have to accommodate those who don't want change and you you should make it attractive to those who like the newer ways of forum navigation. Most of the newer programs and hosts offer user choices that cover everything from the constipated format that the SCWF rigidly follows to other formats that allow the user to chose how he/she wishes to view and surf the sites.

Additionally, most of the modern offerings are smoother, faster and almost 'F10 cat free'

Glad you're looking forward

------------------------------------------

.... no more F10 cat !! But she was sooooooo sweet ! For those who don't remember, here's her official photo taken while she was hard at work on Nutwerk 54 :

LOLcats