Seiko SCUBA essay #1, the bezel >>>

5:07 PM - Dec 10, 2008 #1

Original date of posting: 5-10-2007

Scuba, scuba do, where are you?

For historical purpose`s, I`m going to start refering to the new diver from Seiko as the "Scuba". I like the joke CT makes, and its pretty clear after you look at that marker what the name is all about. But we must keep up apperances, yes. And it does say SCUBA on the dial. So for those that would come a searching in the years to come, SCUBA it is.

First off, I love the watch. Seiko has been listening. Its freeking huge! My first thought was that I would`nt like its size, but it is growing on me, and today after almost a week, it almost feels normal. My accuracy is nothing short of phenomenal, about 1 second a day. Hey Steve, you gave up a real accurate watch bud, LOL. The lugs are the best part of the watch, long and shaply, like a fine womans leg. The markers and hands are perfectly size for the dial, I dont need no "maxi" dial, I have one in this watch, :^). I got the blue one and the blue is breathtaking. Far from being a gay blue, its more like an "angry" blue, or a "mean" blue. It has just enough metalic in it to match the bezel in most lighting. Words ar`nt going to describe this blue so I`ll quit while I`m ahead.

The bezel, oh ya, the bezel, lets get on with it.

Did`nt I say it was huge! The lugs almost run off my wrist, LOL. But because of the down turned lugs, it fits as well as any other watch I`ve had this size, and much better then most that are this size. The case is typical Seiko construction, nothing new here. The bezel is lightly pressed on and use`s a bezel o-ring to take up any manufactiing tolerances and make the action smooth. But my bezel had started to get a hang spot, where it seamed to seaze momentarily, and so I had to remove it and see what the problem was. I also wanted to adjust the bezel dot as it did not line up with any precision.

Seiko has done something they have`nt done in some time, and that is providing a bezel "Notch" for removal of the bezel. I guess they realized that with the bezel actually sitting down in the case, they would need a notch for removal. None of the SKX series of watches feature this notch.

This notch is actually in two locations on the bezel, there is another one on the side directly opposite of this notch, just in case one notch is not enough, LOL. With very litte effort, the bezel levers and pops off. I suspect that because of the "sunk in" design of the bezel, Seiko purposely made these bezels a little looser then what you will sometimes find on a SKX watch.

About bezel inserts? Forget about it! This insert measures 40mm accross, a bit bigger then a SKX insert at 38mm. So for now, we`re stuck with Seiko`s insert, I dont know of any other insert that will fit. And I hope Seiko makes these easily available, as I suspect they are going to get torn up pretty quickly with them being so large and exposed. I`m affraid that for any custom inserts, they are going to have to be custom made on a lathe (Hear me Bill? Make bezel inserts for the Scuba`s!!). I`m hoping that at some point Seiko will make a stainless insert, that would be the cats meow, yes?

With the bezel off and turned over, its clear that this insert is not like a SKX insert, its much thicker and more 3 dimentional. Much more like what Seiko use`s in the Kenetic and some quartz, its a completely machined insert, instead of the simple stamping found on the SKX watches.

I immediately wanted to compare its components to a SKX watch..........

Sadely, the only components that these two watches share on the bezel assembly is the ratchet spring, but as you`ll see, that was to my advantage. It makes sense for Seiko to make the one part that is MOST likely to break, the same in both watches (Why "redesign" when you can "design AROUND"). But what makes this a double bummer is that I suspect thats a different o-ring in there, it sure looked smaller then the SKX o-ring when I laid them over each other. This means we`re all in a world of hurt if Seiko`s does`nt release this o-ring to the aftermarket, HEEP THIS IS MIND should you decide to remove your bezel, screw this o-ring up, and you may have to send it to Japan! Only time will tell on this issue.

BUT HERES the GOOD News!

The best thing I found out when getting into this is how easy its going to be to fix missaligned inserts. Seiko has used that "garrilla snot" like glue to affix these inserts in the bezel and they are not held in by any crimping or other mechanical means (some inserts, are literally "swedged" into the ring and can not be removed, mostly on the Seiko chonos). This means you can use the heat trick to align a botched insert. What is the heat trick? Because this glue softens when it gets warm, its just a matter of warming the insert and turning if with your fingures to aling it! You can use very hot water, or a hair dryer, but you MUST remove the bezel from the watch case FIRST, the index ring under the crystal is surely plastic and will melt easily when pushed pass say 120-130F.

One of the things I wanted to address when I started this was that the bezel was starting to get frozen in spots and the action could have been more positive, more "clicky". You should know that I play with my bezel constantly, LOL. First I started to address the action, getting ready to bend the ratchet arm up a little bit............................

Thats when I noticed the other side was broken,

Yap, that explains the bad spots. This break allows the broken part to ride up and litterally wedge into the bezel ring, freezing it. Forunetly, as noted above, I had a SKX ratchet spring and so this was no big deal. I actually stock this spring because this is`nt a uncommon thing with Seiko`s, LOL.

Lastly, before you remove this bezel, if you are so inclined, make sure you are going to be able to put it back on. This is one of the few Seiko`s that I had to use a case press on to get the bezel snapped back on. Because of the slopping sides there was`nt enough room to get fingure pressure on the bezel with enough force to pop it back on. You may be able to use a bottle cap, but I did`nt want to scratch the insert. Getting it off is a bit easier then getting it back on , so make sure you are prepared before removing it!

And one last parting shot. For those that thought they would prefere the SKX font on the insert.............................

www.fototime.com/{245C2C15-1FC5-42DD-B7 ... icture.JPG">

No, the SKX bezel ring will not fit, the SCUBA`s ring is quite a bit deeper!

As you can see above, the SKX font on the insert is way too small and is dwarfed by the markers and hands. The SCUBA`s font and insert are PERFECT from a purely tactical POV. Between the large even numbers, and the heavy line`s that go straight accross the insert for the odd minutes, it is extreamly easy to see where the minute hand is landing on the bezel insert. This is one of the easiest bezels I`ve ever had the pleasure of reading, and I know my bezels! LOL

OK, this concludes "Seiko SCUBA essay #1, the bezel".

Essay # 2 will either be the movement, or a Yao dial change. Yes, you can tell all your friends, a Yao dial should fit no problemo! With mine, I love the original blue too much to EVER change the dial, but I`m thinking the Bund dial would be the BOMB on the black dialed watch!

I hope you enjoy the essay. I have to go back to the RACK now, but will work on essay # 2 when time allows.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko, Aka:2manywatches
Specializing in Seikology, Seikotherapy, and other Horological Dis-ease.
Made in the U.S.A.

5:57 PM - Dec 10, 2008 #2

It's all in the details and you don't skimp on those

Looking forward to the next installment

-------------------------------------------

Last edited by Raven_Loon on 5:57 PM - Dec 10, 2008, edited 1 time in total.

7:53 PM - Dec 10, 2008 #3

For historical purpose`s, I`m going to start refering to the new diver from Seiko as the "Scuba". I like the joke CT makes, and its pretty clear after you look at that marker what the name is all about. But we must keep up apperances, yes. And it does say SCUBA on the dial. So for those that would come a searching in the years to come, SCUBA it is.

First off, I love the watch. Seiko has been listening. Its freeking huge! My first thought was that I would`nt like its size, but it is growing on me, and today after almost a week, it almost feels normal. My accuracy is nothing short of phenomenal, about 1 second a day. Hey Steve, you gave up a real accurate watch bud, LOL. The lugs are the best part of the watch, long and shaply, like a fine womans leg. The markers and hands are perfectly size for the dial, I dont need no "maxi" dial, I have one in this watch, :^). I got the blue one and the blue is breathtaking. Far from being a gay blue, its more like an "angry" blue, or a "mean" blue. It has just enough metalic in it to match the bezel in most lighting. Words ar`nt going to describe this blue so I`ll quit while I`m ahead.

Did`nt I say it was huge! The lugs almost run off my wrist, LOL. But because of the down turned lugs, it fits as well as any other watch I`ve had this size, and much better then most that are this size. The case is typical Seiko construction, nothing new here. The bezel is lightly pressed on and use`s a bezel o-ring to take up any manufactiing tolerances and make the action smooth. But my bezel had started to get a hang spot, where it seamed to seaze momentarily, and so I had to remove it and see what the problem was. I also wanted to adjust the bezel dot as it did not line up with any precision.

Seiko has done something they have`nt done in some time, and that is providing a bezel "Notch" for removal of the bezel. I guess they realized that with the bezel actually sitting down in the case, they would need a notch for removal. None of the SKX series of watches feature this notch.

This notch is actually in two locations on the bezel, there is another one on the side directly opposite of this notch, just in case one notch is not enough, LOL. With very litte effort, the bezel levers and pops off. I suspect that because of the "sunk in" design of the bezel, Seiko purposely made these bezels a little looser then what you will sometimes find on a SKX watch.

About bezel inserts? Forget about it! This insert measures 40mm accross, a bit bigger then a SKX insert at 38mm. So for now, we`re stuck with Seiko`s insert, I dont know of any other insert that will fit. And I hope Seiko makes these easily available, as I suspect they are going to get torn up pretty quickly with them being so large and exposed. I`m affraid that for any custom inserts, they are going to have to be custom made on a lathe (Hear me Bill? Make bezel inserts for the Scuba`s!!). I`m hoping that at some point Seiko will make a stainless insert, that would be the cats meow, yes?

With the bezel off and turned over, its clear that this insert is not like a SKX insert, its much thicker and more 3 dimentional. Much more like what Seiko use`s in the Kenetic and some quartz, its a completely machined insert, instead of the simple stamping found on the SKX watches.

Sadely, the only components that these two watches share on the bezel assembly is the ratchet spring, but as you`ll see, that was to my advantage. It makes sense for Seiko to make the one part that is MOST likely to break, the same in both watches (Why "redesign" when you can "design AROUND"). But what makes this a double bummer is that I suspect thats a different o-ring in there, it sure looked smaller then the SKX o-ring when I laid them over each other. This means we`re all in a world of hurt if Seiko`s does`nt release this o-ring to the aftermarket, HEEP THIS IS MIND should you decide to remove your bezel, screw this o-ring up, and you may have to send it to Japan! Only time will tell on this issue.

BUT HERES the GOOD News!

The best thing I found out when getting into this is how easy its going to be to fix missaligned inserts. Seiko has used that "garrilla snot" like glue to affix these inserts in the bezel and they are not held in by any crimping or other mechanical means (some inserts, are literally "swedged" into the ring and can not be removed, mostly on the Seiko chonos). This means you can use the heat trick to align a botched insert. What is the heat trick? Because this glue softens when it gets warm, its just a matter of warming the insert and turning if with your fingures to aling it! You can use very hot water, or a hair dryer, but you MUST remove the bezel from the watch case FIRST, the index ring under the crystal is surely plastic and will melt easily when pushed pass say 120-130F.

One of the things I wanted to address when I started this was that the bezel was starting to get frozen in spots and the action could have been more positive, more "clicky". You should know that I play with my bezel constantly, LOL. First I started to address the action, getting ready to bend the ratchet arm up a little bit............................

Yap, that explains the bad spots. This break allows the broken part to ride up and litterally wedge into the bezel ring, freezing it. Forunetly, as noted above, I had a SKX ratchet spring and so this was no big deal. I actually stock this spring because this is`nt a uncommon thing with Seiko`s, LOL.

Lastly, before you remove this bezel, if you are so inclined, make sure you are going to be able to put it back on. This is one of the few Seiko`s that I had to use a case press on to get the bezel snapped back on. Because of the slopping sides there was`nt enough room to get fingure pressure on the bezel with enough force to pop it back on. You may be able to use a bottle cap, but I did`nt want to scratch the insert. Getting it off is a bit easier then getting it back on , so make sure you are prepared before removing it!

And one last parting shot. For those that thought they would prefere the SKX font on the insert.............................

As you can see above, the SKX font on the insert is way too small and is dwarfed by the markers and hands. The SCUBA`s font and insert are PERFECT from a purely tactical POV. Between the large even numbers, and the heavy line`s that go straight accross the insert for the odd minutes, it is extreamly easy to see where the minute hand is landing on the bezel insert. This is one of the easiest bezels I`ve ever had the pleasure of reading, and I know my bezels! LOL

Essay # 2 will either be the movement, or a Yao dial change. Yes, you can tell all your friends, a Yao dial should fit no problemo! With mine, I love the original blue too much to EVER change the dial, but I`m thinking the Bund dial would be the BOMB on the black dialed watch!

I hope you enjoy the essay. I have to go back to the RACK now, but will work on essay # 2 when time allows.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Made in the U.S.A.
When the Scuba came out, I was pretty non plussed about it. Over time, I've slowly started to appreciate some of its virtues, but have never picked one up.

Now the recent release of the new SBDC divers (not to mention the recent Kinetic DD Divers)really makes that 6R Scuba looks like an absolute bargain.

As always, I enjoyed the write up.

Japanese Watch Enthusiasts: http://www.gmtplusnine.com

8:29 PM - Dec 10, 2008 #4

BUT HERES the GOOD News!

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Made in the U.S.A.
all your in-depth tutorials.

That's an impressive diver you have there! It does sound like there are indeed some improvements in that one over the prior diver models.

I do like that blue tone - Seiko does a wonderful job with blue!

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors