Question: Citizen's version of "Advan"...

Question: Citizen's version of "Advan"...

December 17th, 2009, 2:08 am #1

Sometime about a year ago, I stumbled on an article about a line of Citizen watches that had the design elements of the Seiko Advan & VANAC lines - lots of pics of these models that showed a logo similar to the Seiko Advan "sun" & I believe there were scans of marketing materials (ads??) posted there showing a rather SouthWestern (US) theme. After looking it over I promptly forgot to save the link

So, has anyone else seen that site I'm talking about?? I haven't been able to find it again & so far, my searches haven't turned up anything useful in finding it. So far, I've just found a reference to this line of watches in a blog & it doesn't mention the name of the line either - I've also forgotten what Citizen called it's Advan-like line. I guess I get the "Homer" award today and here I mean "Homer Simpson", not "Citizen Homer" LOL!!

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

December 17th, 2009, 5:04 am #2

Citizen Idiot, LOLOL.

I`d like to hear what he knows about this. I find it most surprising when we find very similar competing models from these two Giants of Japan.

Cheers,
Randall
Made in the U.S.A.

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

December 17th, 2009, 11:15 pm #3

...I certainly haven't seen the site Don refers to, and I don't recall seeing a Citizen model with a logo similar to the Advan sun burst. Some of the 'V2' versions of the Crystal 7 and Seven Star lines were fairly funky, but don't fit your description, and there were a range of 6xxx watches with a variety of coloured dials and faceted crystals. But they don't have any logo on the dial other than the usual 'Citizen' and the jewel count, and I think were lower level 17 jewel models. There was also a 'Tiger' range, with brightly coloured dials - seen a handful of them, they look like entry level models, and no Advan like logo either, just the name printed on the dial.

There is a line from the late '70s called 'Adorex'. I've seen only a few of these, two types were simple designs with black or white dials, but there were Adorex Specials - I've only seen one of them so far, it had a green dial I think, plus faceted crystal. But again they only have Adorex printed on the dial as far as I could see, plus the usual Citizen logo. These looked to be decent quality versions of the 8000 movement, with a fine adjuster, and were quite expensive new I believe.

So this is a bit of a mystery still....

Regards,
Stephen

December 18th, 2009, 2:08 am #4

I'm not positive on the dial logo at this point (especially now that you don't know of any "Advan-like" logo).

I've still not found that site (or at least the specific content), but in the meantime, I did find this great Japanese site with real great pics of vintage Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Takano/Chateau...

http://www.wa.commufa.jp/~bunta/

I'll update some of the history articles w/ this new link & I've saved some of the pages in my local "database" for future reference

Seiko Matsuda

December 19th, 2009, 12:17 am #5

Out of desperation, I did a search thru old postings @ a forum I no longer participate in & it does seem the site I was thinking of is indeed the one I "found" again http://www.wa.commufa.jp/~bunta/).

In one post on "the other forum", that site is referenced. I had looked it over, and commented to the poster as follows:

'OK, 1st Citizen page is amazing, but blew out my Virtual Memory!!!

Lots of nice "AdVan"-like designs too! In fact, after looking it all over, this site could be called the "Virtual Japanese MOD Watch Museum" of the 1970s.

Also looked over the Waltham page while I was there. It has that 100j Waltham model!! I think it was talked about here once [in a prior year] when the subject of high jewel count watches was discussed. Also, the Orient 100.

The "Mexican" was interesting - note the AdVan-like Sun logo. Curious who copied from whom??'

So, the "Mexican" [and I assume it was from Citizen, but note that I didn't specifically say so after discussing the Waltham & Orient that were also on the site @ that time] is the name I was looking for, but don't remember if it was really labeled as such or just a term I coined based on the look of the watch & any accompanying scanned literature.

I don't see those anymore @ "bunta" (or just haven't stumbled over them again?), so the site must have been re-worked in the last 1.5 years. Well, anyway, it seems SOMEBODY made a very Advan-like watch back then

Seiko Matsuda

December 19th, 2009, 10:39 am #6

...you are referring to? The only link I can see from herehttp://www.wa.commufa.jp/~bunta/ is to a page saying the site is closed down (as a far as me and my on-line translator can see )

Regards,
Stephen

December 19th, 2009, 11:33 pm #7

the large pics & click [except for the 1st one, the Orient]. It automatically takes you to a page related to the subject of the picture.

One tip: when you position on one of the photos, look @ the "status bar" [Firefox terminology] @ the bottom of your window - if it shows a URL name there, that's the page that a mouse click (while on the pic) will get you to.

Seiko Matsuda

December 20th, 2009, 12:17 pm #8

...for example I hadn't seen a Seven Star diver with an outer bezel before, only the compressor type. I imagine a number of these are very rarely seen,

Regards,
Stephen

December 21st, 2009, 11:34 am #9

Sometime about a year ago, I stumbled on an article about a line of Citizen watches that had the design elements of the Seiko Advan & VANAC lines - lots of pics of these models that showed a logo similar to the Seiko Advan "sun" & I believe there were scans of marketing materials (ads??) posted there showing a rather SouthWestern (US) theme. After looking it over I promptly forgot to save the link

So, has anyone else seen that site I'm talking about?? I haven't been able to find it again & so far, my searches haven't turned up anything useful in finding it. So far, I've just found a reference to this line of watches in a blog & it doesn't mention the name of the line either - I've also forgotten what Citizen called it's Advan-like line. I guess I get the "Homer" award today and here I mean "Homer Simpson", not "Citizen Homer" LOL!!

Seiko Matsuda
from the modern Independent 1481010 series. There are a few more but I do not remember them as being so advan-ish.

/ martin