Goldfeather

Goldfeather

November 30th, 2009, 5:30 pm #1

Another grail watch turned up the auctions a few weeks ago. This is the famous square Goldfeather. One of the very few Seikos with a square case and one of the few Goldfeathers without the Goldfeather text on the dial. A boring design where the slightly curved case and the high square crystal does not do full credit to the thin GF caliber.

AFAIK, there are two GF models without GF dial text, one square and a "modern" design round cased. Both of these have the excellent feather caseback. All of the square GFs I have seen have been December 1964 production so they must have done a small run at the end of the life of the GF caliber. This is also one of the few GFs with an identifiable designation, the "605010" on the back signifies the 60 caliber and the 5010 case style. This six-digit structure is also quite unusual for Seiko.

If the first one represents the "feather" part, this 18K solid gold cased GF would be the "gold" side of things. The GF is probably the most common Seiko 18K watch as it seems to have been popular for anniversaries and similar.

I was going to do a Goldfeather write-up, but with the holidays coming up, it is easier to refer to this one which has input from one of the GF experts on this forum;http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=62.

/ martin

December 1st, 2009, 12:35 am #2

6106s I think this time era 1960 to 1966 holds some of the VINTAGE gems . as I read more about the mvts and the quality
I see my intrest grow in this area.
Nice Seiko Martin look foward to the Posts when they start The combined knowledge on this Forum will be a "SCHOOLS IN SESSION"
make a File type of Time Thanks
Russell

Russell Anthany Iadanza

December 1st, 2009, 2:30 am #3

Another grail watch turned up the auctions a few weeks ago. This is the famous square Goldfeather. One of the very few Seikos with a square case and one of the few Goldfeathers without the Goldfeather text on the dial. A boring design where the slightly curved case and the high square crystal does not do full credit to the thin GF caliber.

AFAIK, there are two GF models without GF dial text, one square and a "modern" design round cased. Both of these have the excellent feather caseback. All of the square GFs I have seen have been December 1964 production so they must have done a small run at the end of the life of the GF caliber. This is also one of the few GFs with an identifiable designation, the "605010" on the back signifies the 60 caliber and the 5010 case style. This six-digit structure is also quite unusual for Seiko.

If the first one represents the "feather" part, this 18K solid gold cased GF would be the "gold" side of things. The GF is probably the most common Seiko 18K watch as it seems to have been popular for anniversaries and similar.

I was going to do a Goldfeather write-up, but with the holidays coming up, it is easier to refer to this one which has input from one of the GF experts on this forum;http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=62.

/ martin
I appreciate seeing that square cased model. Square cased Goldfeather models are indeed found much less often than the round.

I also enjoyed seeing the round solid gold model you posted. I'm not sure how many viewers realize what the logo is (near 6 o'clock). I know it as the "Special Dial" indicator which I understand is only used on high-end items with printed dials (though I do notice your pic shows applied indices, so maybe there's a bit different meaning?). I have 2 of the "traditional" style gold-filled, round Gfs, neither of which have that logo. So, something else out-of-the-ordinary you are showing us as well!

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

December 1st, 2009, 5:47 am #4

The Seiko dial markings (the eight pointed star for SD or Special Dial and the six pointed star for AD or Applied Dial) seems to be a bit arbitrary as the SD mark also turns up on applied dials. I think however that SD watch dial are usually "fancier" or more elaborate than AD dials as shown below.

/ martin

December 1st, 2009, 11:13 pm #5

have nothing to do with lack of appliques, but pertain to the "elaborate" nature of the dial surface treatment (texturing, etc.).

Anyway, it's nice to see pics of your classics!

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

December 3rd, 2009, 6:33 am #6

/ martin
Thanks for schooling me on those Seikos. I have never seen one before. I love that vintage font....very nice!