For folks that like the "diver look" - a Citizen that can't quite make it into...

For folks that like the "diver look" - a Citizen that can't quite make it into...

December 12th, 2008, 2:57 am #1

the watch database!! It's a "composite" watch, but made with authentic Citizen components of the "right" period. Code #s are:
Citizen calibre 8100
4-90003T
TA-900062Y

Yes, it's a chronograph! Like the Seiko calibre 7018, it is 23j, has a 30Min accumulator + chrono seconds hand, and has Flyback functionality. Unlike the Seiko, it is a hi-beat [28,800bph]!

Have a look:

OK, so have you spotted what's "wrong" with this one??? Here's a closer look that may give a hint:

OK, now it should be more evident; there's a tach bezel AND a tach track on the dial. Why have both??? That's easy - the bezel should have been a thin, plain bezel, but what is there is a tach bezel from a different model Citizen !!

At any rate, I got this one from Singapore years ago knowing it was "composite" & convinced the seller of this fact [got a discount from ask price too!]. It was overall, quite clean & that tach bezel is not easy to find in relatively clean condition. It came on the rubber strap you see. With the strap and the tach bezel, the watch has the look of a rather unusual model Diver, don't you think???

Even better, I also have the 8110 that correctly uses the bezel. It also came from Singapore [another seller] and is in near mint condition. I'll put it up in the database section when I have chance.

Thanks for looking & let me know if it's just me or does it really look "diver-like" to you too???

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

December 12th, 2008, 9:54 pm #2

the 'Spaceman' chrono used either a black or white dial (mine's black as you can see!!) with the rather groovy hexagonal sub-dials. Great movement, I have three watches with it and it is very accurate in all of them.

Regards,
Sweephand

December 12th, 2008, 11:45 pm #3

you were able to follow my roadmap OK, huh??

I think the "Spaceman" name was coined by a friend of ours from Singapore [who went by the handle of "Chongyen"]. He had a number of really nice vintage Seiko & Citizen pieces - many were near mint or even close to NOS in quality.

BTW - do you know the caseback code #s of this model??? I've wanted to put it up in the database here [I bought one from Chongyen & have 1 really nice pic of it from the front], but don't have the case code #s handy for reference. And... my watch is back in my bank box in the US while I'm on the other side of world & can't get at it. If not, I'll just have to dig out some records put away, really well, for safekeeping -

meaning, I don't quite remember where they are & have to go searching :>)

& see if I wrote down all the codes from this one, which I normally would do.

Anyway, thanks for stopping in & posting that pic! See ya around!

Seiko Matsuda

December 13th, 2008, 12:09 am #4

...reply to your mail but I can't send mail for some reason!! As for the Spaceman, numbers on the caseback are;

4-901100 and
67-9178

Regards,
Sweephand

December 13th, 2008, 12:19 am #5

over here, there are times when I have NO internet connectivity AT ALL for several days! The infrastructure isn't quite what it was back in the US, but it's pretty good most of the time.

OK - now that [thanks to you] I have the code #s, I'll put mine up in the database & if you want, you can add a response w/ other pics of yours there for reference.

Seiko Matsuda

December 13th, 2008, 12:23 am #6

oki doki, I need to take some better pics though! nt