Anyone handle a Rolex Deep Sea yet....

Anyone handle a Rolex Deep Sea yet....

February 27th, 2009, 4:00 pm #1

I fooled around with one at a dealer a few weeks ago. I was really impressed. The funny thing was that as I was looking at it, I kept thinking it had a Seiko vibe to it. Almost like if you went to the Seiko engineers, gave them a Rolex Sub and said "update this" this is what they would have done.

As nice as that Deep Sea is, it's expensive too.

While I was looking at it, the salesman started to brag to me about the new ratcheting clasp that it used...he was telling me it was a Rolex invention...I smiled, took off my Seiko, showed him my ratcheting clasp and said...."I don't think Rolex invented that concept."

Japanese Watch Enthusiasts: http://www.gmtplusnine.com

March 1st, 2009, 9:04 pm #2

I've never handled any Rolex model - seen them in person, certainly, but handled them --- nope! Well, one exception - a Daytona that may or may NOT have been authentic, so I'm not counting it. [It belongs to our vet (well, really our dog's vet). He bought it on the street in Cebu some years ago - he needed a watch & just got it as something affordable to tell time! Didn't even know what a "Daytona" was!!]

I do have to say that goes for a lot of the hi-end Swiss brands [for me]. Seen them in person [either in store or on owner's wrist], but never physically handled them - either didn't want the store personnel to "get any ideas" [that I was going to shell out anything even close to what they wanted] or didn't know the wearer/owner well enough to ask permission to "handle" it!! :>)

===============================================

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

May 13th, 2009, 2:41 am #3

I fooled around with one at a dealer a few weeks ago. I was really impressed. The funny thing was that as I was looking at it, I kept thinking it had a Seiko vibe to it. Almost like if you went to the Seiko engineers, gave them a Rolex Sub and said "update this" this is what they would have done.

As nice as that Deep Sea is, it's expensive too.

While I was looking at it, the salesman started to brag to me about the new ratcheting clasp that it used...he was telling me it was a Rolex invention...I smiled, took off my Seiko, showed him my ratcheting clasp and said...."I don't think Rolex invented that concept."

Japanese Watch Enthusiasts: http://www.gmtplusnine.com
I have handled a few Rolex. Actually, today I met a guy who was buying my King Seiko and he walked in wearing his Rolex Explorer I. Nice watch but not worth $4000 Cdn to me (just my opinion).

Funny comment in the other post about the ratcheting dive extension. Hello MM, hello SD 600, hello Orient OS 300, hello Doxa 5000T.

Clueless ADs really bug me for some reason.

"Making the world a better place one Sawtooth at a time!" (Zoodles 2006)

May 20th, 2009, 1:28 am #4

That the horrific text "somewhat" dissapears in the flesh. Something about the ar caoting combined with the dome its got to the crystal tends to obscure it just a bit and make it a bit less noticable.

You know, Hans originaly thought that every man, if he wanted it bad enough, could/would/should be able to afford a Rolex if he set his mind to it. But I`m afraid the Rolex of the present has put that firmly in the past.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1