Seiko auto divers vs Citizen auto divers..pros&cons?

Seiko auto divers vs Citizen auto divers..pros&cons?

June 13th, 2002, 6:44 pm #1

Hello,
I am new to the diver watch scene. I'd be interested in some comments/opinions on comparisons between the Seiko and Citizen 200m automatic diver watches. For example let's assume the comparisons center around Citizen NY0045-05E or NY0040-09E and the Seiko SKX007k or SKX009k.
All these watches seem to be priced competitively,I was just wondering how they compare to each other?
Thanks
Ken

Helping Hand
Helping Hand

June 13th, 2002, 7:45 pm #2

Own several of both SEIKO & CITIZEN Divers; first thing is illumination. Normally the SEIKO has the best illumination. Some CItizens have good illumination, but until you have one in hand you can't tell.

Movements are excellent for both; occasionally a Citizen can be hand wound and can hack; rarely for the low end SEIKO Divers.

The newer Citizen and Seiko's both have very good metal bracelets.

Finish on SEIKO's is excellent; finish varies from different calibre to calibre on the Citizens. However every ECO-DRIVE I own is very well finished with a very good bracelet and clasp.

The date window on Citizen watches tends to be to small for my eyes, but that is a personal preference.

They both offer very fine Diver watches; SEIKO seems to have the edge, generally speaking, in style and finish, but some of the older Citizen Divers are very fine pieces, but don't think they were ever available in the US.

IMHO

Brandon Aybar
Brandon Aybar

June 13th, 2002, 8:32 pm #3

/

JGanovsky
JGanovsky

June 13th, 2002, 9:21 pm #4

Hello,
I am new to the diver watch scene. I'd be interested in some comments/opinions on comparisons between the Seiko and Citizen 200m automatic diver watches. For example let's assume the comparisons center around Citizen NY0045-05E or NY0040-09E and the Seiko SKX007k or SKX009k.
All these watches seem to be priced competitively,I was just wondering how they compare to each other?
Thanks
Ken
I recently bought a Seiko Ti Auto Diver skx421. I like it very much. The looks of the Citizens seems very busy, distracting and in many ways 'cheap'. In their Promaster Dive line they do not have a good looking dive watch. Seiko has plenty.

With that said, the only one that I would remotely consider for a casual watch is the all Ti bracelet black dial Mission Antarctica. Very nice, but too casual for my needs right now in a watch.

jg

igme
igme

June 13th, 2002, 10:44 pm #5

Hello,
Thanks
Ken
The Seiko is larger 42mm while the Citizen is 40mm. No pro or con here just personal choice.

The Citizen's bezel has 1 sec increments & easily moved while Seiko's at 1/2 sec, smoother & tighter. Better - Seiko.

Luminosity. No contest. Seiko takes it even compared to higher end Swiss. The Citizen holds its own between 5-7 hours while the Seiko can hold almost to the morning. Bright, too.

Accuracy. My Citizen wins this one hands down. Both the Japan & Singapore model are +/-10secs fast while the Citizen is maybe +5 at its worst, even less so when worn 24/7. Plus for the Citizen, mine handwinds.

Durability. Well, because of Seiko's reputation, maybe they win it here, too. As for mine, the Seiko feels more robust than the Citizen. Again, I think both will hold up well over time because I have older models in both brands that are both going strong.

Fit & Finish. More refined finish on the Seiko but the Citizen's not that far behind. Better day/date window on the Seiko. Citizen's too small. The lug width of the Seiko is 22 while the Citizen's @ 20mm. There seem to be more straps available for 20mm lug widths. Then again, it really doesn't matter.

Anyway, for the money, they're affordable enough that one can own an example of each.

June 13th, 2002, 11:37 pm #6

what diameter are they? That is are they super thick like the Seiko spring bars? Thanks for your comments!

Ken

igme
igme

June 14th, 2002, 12:57 am #7

but unlike the Seiko, which is shouldered, mine has the double flange where you can lodge the springbar tool on. The tip of the bars are thicker than your standard aftermarket "thick" flanged springbars.

10:09:35
10:09:35

June 14th, 2002, 4:01 am #8

Hello,
Thanks
Ken
...of course there's the difference in crown position: Seiko at 3 or 4 o'clock, Citizen at 8 o'clock. The 8 o'clock crown will either be a cool and inteligent feature, or it will drive you crazy.

Seiko makes mid sized and ladies auto divers, if you'd want a matching pair for, oh, I don't know, some reason in the future.

Citizen makes a Titanium w/ strap version, the NY0054-04E that's not too much more than the steel ones. The Seiko Titanium w/ bracelet SKX421K is pretty pricey for a 7S26, but is quite a looker.

Tom

June 14th, 2002, 11:58 pm #9

Hello,
Thanks
Ken

Barney
Barney

June 15th, 2002, 2:37 am #10

Hello,
Thanks
Ken
Les Zetlein, an experienced diver, has an interesting comparison between a modern Seiko 7s26 diver and a 25-year-old vintage Citizen diver on his website.

http://www.zetleins.onau.net/watchreviews.htm

Regards

Barney