Meditation

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

12:36 AM - May 22, 2018 #1

Just a thought. Do you think meditation brings about a level of consideration for others or is it just a vehicle to carry you off?

Are the finer things, honesty, understanding and wisdom etc. as a human on the 'path' the results of further travel or is meditation the driver of these common changes...

regards

Ardy

crow
Fifth
Fifth

2:10 AM - May 22, 2018 #2

Meditation seems to be whatever the one practicing it, makes of it. There's probably no 'right way' or 'right result'.
For me, it's a path towards an integration with Reality, which provides unforeseen consequences, both good, and not so good.

I'd say the most benefit comes from the minimizing of one's identity, so that not everything is always about oneself.
Minimize this enough, and it is indeed possible to 'become a rock' :)

* Obviously, not everybody is especially excited about being able to become a rock!

"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

3:54 AM - May 22, 2018 #3

Wonder how they discriminate between rocks and themselves?

crow
Fifth
Fifth

4:21 AM - May 22, 2018 #4

The same way as with every other thing: it's either 'me' or 'not-me'.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

11:15 PM - May 22, 2018 #5

Yet most humans have experienced the wonder of the connectedness of the universe at some time. Yet having had that deep connection to everything, they still walk away and discriminate about everything and become disconnected again.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

2:49 AM - May 23, 2018 #6

The trained intellect excels at this. You know about the genius-complex :)

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

8:32 PM - May 23, 2018 #7

A very frustrating experience. Glad you showed up, I was about to chuck it in as a few of the others there, who knew a thing or two, had done.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

5:20 AM - Jun 15, 2018 #8

I am back to semi-regular meditation in the last month and enjoying the early bits before the ego rears its head again! The great peace that passes over me is all encompassing but only a temp. stage.

I found some lovely deep meditation bell that start and finish a timer. I have worked out how to run it a single time at a time, if that makes sense ie that the next one does not start immediately after the one you have just finished. There is 10min, 15min, 20min, 30min, 45min and 60min options.

I strongly suggest you use the low bell option but there is a high one if you don't enjoy the low bell.

https://www.christopherlloydclarke.com/ ... imers.html

crow
Fifth
Fifth

5:08 AM - Jun 19, 2018 #9

That's an interesting idea, but both my wife and I immediately took issue with it...
Meditation, as an aid to calmness, is one thing, and perhaps a timer could help with this.
But meditation as the route taken to possible enlightenment: probably few things could be less helpful.

Because, unsurprisingly, enlightenment is intimately connected with a stepping-off of the conveyor-belt of linear time.
Metered time is probably the greatest hindrance to spiritual freedom, and this is something we are all subjected to, in The West, almost from birth.

Fortunately for me, I was already living a time-free life, due to various circumstances, before I finally settled down to a do-or-die attempt at enlightenment. Without this time-free existence, I likely would have never even come close to where I finally went.

I may be wrong in this, and perhaps everything is different for everyone. But I felt uneasy with your post about timed bells, for as long as it has taken me to reply to it as I have.

The idea is to S.T.O.P.
Everything.
Time, included.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

10:18 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #10

Agree but if you need to go to the dentist and the train leaves at 9:30 a timer has its place. Or for the workers doing a morning meditation, it has its risks. The main advantage is when you start, as the ego thought 'when will this be over' has an answer you don't have to provide.

I found timed meditation very useful when I started. Sitting and letting meditation run its own time, it can easily range from 5mins to 90mins and once you enter samadhi time has no place there.