Mantras.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

February 8th, 2017, 5:46 am #1

I, personally, have never had any use for mantras. But they are a known thing, employed by many who meditate. Perhaps they are of some use.

Bearing in mind that any mantra is the result of mind-processing, a suitably neutral-yet-optimistic phrase may provide some benefit.
As I said, I've never indulged, but if I were to, here is what springs to mind:

"All my needs are taken care of".

This may not be clear, at first, unless you consider for a moment, that following one's birth, one is completely alone in an alien world.
Many spend their entire lives trying, in many and varied ways, to climb back into the womb again.

Enlightenment could be well described as a return to the womb, freeing one from any action or need for action.
Everything necessary is close at hand, supplied by unseen agency.
All one needs do is be.

And so, if you have experience of any mantra that you prefer, you might share it here, if you feel inclined.

"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

February 8th, 2017, 9:45 pm #2

I have my own mantra from TM in 1991 and I promised not to reveal it (which now seems weird) and I have not told it to a living soul.

I personally think that if you are going to use a mantra, any word that the mind cannot get a hold on will do. If that word has a 'ring' to it then that is better. So a made up word like "hartim" where the word is dragged out ie 'haaartiiiim' would do but just make up your own, or take a word from Sanskrit that you have no idea what it means and use that.

I will do some testing of Crows ideas on this subject. If anything interesting develops will let you know.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

February 9th, 2017, 2:59 am #3

Funny: it never occurred to me that a mantra might just be a meaningless sound or series of sounds.
Which reminds me that without 'Om' I might never have known enlightenment.

Simpleton
Black
Black

February 9th, 2017, 6:40 am #4

Making any noise at all seems odd to this young man, in the context of meditation. Is silence not golden?

crow
Fifth
Fifth

February 9th, 2017, 5:15 pm #5

I feel much the same way, but sounds may arise when they arise.
It could never have been foreseen, for example, that I would ever find myself chanting "Om", for any reason whatsoever.
It wasn't a word, a symbol, or even a sound, as much as a joining-in with the vibration of consciousness.

"In telecommunications, a carrier wave, carrier signal, or just carrier, is a waveform (usually sinusoidal) that is modulated (modified) with an input signal for the purpose of conveying information... The frequency of a radio or television station is actually the carrier wave's center frequency."

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

February 10th, 2017, 1:39 am #6

OM! has that amazing 'ring' to it.

Simpleton: If silence is golden to you then it is. It is only within your mind not a real noise.

A thousand entrances but only one destination is what I believe.

Simpleton
Black
Black

February 10th, 2017, 8:47 pm #7

The mind is plenty capable of making internal noise, and mind noise is the worst kind of noise.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

February 10th, 2017, 11:06 pm #8

Very true Simpleton and don't most of us know it? The chattering classes that live in our heads!

A mantra is slightly different but it is still a sound in the brain. Anything else from me is speculation but my mantra did work for me when I was into meditation seriously.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

February 11th, 2017, 2:44 am #9

Yet you reached no end-point. It's interesting that your interest persists, even so.
Any sensory perception puts the perceiver at a distance from what is perceived. Separate.
This is the bootstrap scenario, as applicable to meditation.

The trick is to somehow let go the automatic routing of what-is, through the senses, or even the idea of senses, in order to bypass the separation, and merge with The Source.

Thus sound is not heard, sights are not seen, textures are not felt, odor is not smelled.
The senses do a great job of permitting experience, but the true experience lies beyond them.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

February 11th, 2017, 11:07 pm #10

Fascinating post which I will need to digest. The end was a decision not a point, it was what it was and although I have no regrets, the call of the unknown is still there. Does it ever leave once you go down this road?