Head pressure

March 13th, 2017, 7:11 am #1

These days, when I meditate, I feel enormous pressure in my head. Sometimes concentrated in one spot on the crown or the back of my throat, and sometimes all over my head. It is distracting. Should I meditate on it, or release it and go back to the breath, or what?
I feel as if I have hit some kind of roadblock. The pressure is so distracting that I cannot ignore it.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

March 13th, 2017, 7:26 am #2

Take it easy, force nothing. If it hurts, something isn't right.

That said, I remember, many years ago, when I first started seriously delving into spirituality, I woke up the next morning with the mother of all headaches. For one who almost never gets a headache, this was an eye-opener.

Possibly, you're cracking open an area that's never before seen the light of day; bit of a shock to the system.

Remember: this isn't meant to make you suffer. If it does, back off and wait a bit. There's no hurry.

"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.

March 13th, 2017, 7:32 am #3

Thanks, man. I was doing a 30 minute meditation, which is slightly longer than usual for me, so maybe I was pushing too hard by going so long. I had a glimpse of no-self before and got tangled up listening to all the different thought processes saying "This isn't me!" as if referring to themselves. I think I ought to take a break for a while, like you said.

Thanks again. There are a lot of bad sources on the internet, so I'm glad and grateful I can come to you with this crap and get a sane answer.
I'm the kind of guy who never knows when to quit. I wouldn't have backed off if you hadn't nudged me. That's the thing - I needed somebody to tell me to chill.
Somehow, I feel better now. The pressure in my head is still there, but it's alright. Things are more calm. I'm the same guy I was before, but something happened, and I got a good look at the Real Authentic Genuine Article, so to speak. But still, I must take a break for a while. Maybe a day or two.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

March 13th, 2017, 11:49 pm #4

Sacred Fire: I would not take a break, do less time. Taking a break gives the ego some space to work on you. Strange things happen when you meditate every day and it is hard to know what has happened to you. Mental anguish is one thing, real pain is something very different.

I remember that I used to get compulsive desires to scratch an itch during meditation and when I did there was no itch, nothing, it was construct of my mind.

March 14th, 2017, 5:18 pm #5

It has lately occurred to me that those sensations from meditating are sensations that I get when stressed, anxious, angry, and frustrated. Got to tread carefully here - short meditations for now.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

March 14th, 2017, 5:29 pm #6

It can certainly be dangerous. Courage is recommended. Foolhardiness is not.
Listen to your body, not your mind. Or to anybody else :)

March 16th, 2017, 2:00 pm #7

It's anger. More accurately, it's one of Buddha's five hindrances, ill-will. The inability to get rid of it during meditation, and the extent to which it distracted me, is characteristic of what it does to me during the rest of my life. Reducing it in day-to-day life is vital to getting past it as a roadblock in meditation. Metta, that's the key.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. This thread has worked well for me. And it may work well for anyone else suffering from this same problem, who finds this thread.
Metta, yes... I had practiced metta toward other people. But I had seldom, or never, directed it at myself. Gotta love me too!

crow
Fifth
Fifth

March 16th, 2017, 3:54 pm #8

Excellent. Every step is a step closer.
Even so, metta is a tricky customer, widely misunderstood even by those who don't know what it is.
The only love and goodwill that counts for anything, is towards oneself.
Manage that, and the rest follows.

Forgiveness towards oneself, for oneself, is all that counts, in concert with a sincere commitment to be one's best.
One will often fall short, naturally, but the commitment is the thing. A permit-able desire.

I appeared to fall short of this, just yesterday, but actually didn't. The right action, not too little, not too much, happened without user intervention, did the trick, delivered the Zen slap, and then retired to a sensible distance.

Life is a finesse game. There are very few masters. Nor should there be.

Ardy
Second
Second
Ardy
Second
Second

March 16th, 2017, 10:16 pm #9

Never heard the word Metta, what do you understand of this word?

Looked up the google description which seems all encompassing, I find the all encompassing is an outcome not an aim.

crow
Fifth
Fifth

March 16th, 2017, 10:23 pm #10

Just another word, and unnecessary to either know, or use.
Pure of heart, of goodwill, best directed in, before directing it out.