Moderator: TOMMYZ

Tommy Z Week 4 Top 10

TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame
TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame

9:10 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #1

Yes, its early.. But there is really no game of consequence today, so no reason to wait.

1. Muskegon - I mean really..Until Week 8 contest against Mona Shores, Musky will cut  through teams like warm butter.. Truth be told, Muskegon should not be in the Black division. Is what it is.

2. Cass Tech - Wake me up when they play King in the PSL championship game

3. King - See CT above

4. Oak Park - Rolled Stoney Creek, wont have a tough game till week 8 when they play West Bloomfield

5. Chip Valley - Steamrolled Anchor Bay..Will still have some tough games coming up.

6. Muskegon Mona Shores - Good Win over a tough Rockford team..Will cruise till the big game against Muskegon..

7. Clarkston - Beat up what seems to be a down Rochester Adams team..Still some tough games remaining

8. Novi CC - Blew right through UofD as they should..Still 2 tough games coming up against DLS and Rice

9. DLS - A very tough, hard fought win over what seems to be a good Rice team

10. Fordson - Beat a tough Churchill team by playing a very disciplined game. QB was spectacular. Athletes all over. Maybe, just maybe something good brewing over at Fordson

Instead of listing teams that are next, im going to talk about a few teams that are all right there and can be interchanged.. Lets start with the glaring omission from my list

Belleville - If it smells like a duck, quacks like a duck, is it a duck?  Is Belleville reading the news paper clippings? Do they believe they can just coast through games because they have a ton of talent? I dont know, and now I have serious questions about this team..They have talent to beat anyone in this state..But squeaking by Brighton in the first week in the last minute, being down to Churchill at the half before pulling away do to Churchill turnovers, then this week to only win 26-21 over Westland John Glenn? A team that has not been good for over a decade? Who just got beat down last week by Churchill? The coaches need to do a better job at getting these kids to play together or they very well could be a one and done in the playoffs

East Kentwood - Welcome back to the Party!! Holy crap!! A total beatdown of a good and undefeated Holland West Ottawa team.. I mean 56-7? yeesh!! I think THIS is the EK that was rated real high at the beginning... Now here is the catch..Are they gonna stay this way or fall off? I just dont know yet as EK should always be good..Yet they usually turn out to be Meh or bad..Big game next week against a Good Grandville team (on a side not, Grandville schedule..wow)

Is Rice good? Is Hudsonville Good?  Is Canton? On and on...There is still so much unknown because of opening losses.. New coaches... teams starting off slow...Things seem so wide open in D1, D2.. Fun start of the season so far..

E

coachtomd
All-State
coachtomd
All-State

9:22 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #2

TOMMYZ wrote: Yes, its early.. But there is really no game of consequence today, so no reason to wait.

1. Muskegon - I mean really..Until Week 8 contest against Mona Shores, Musky will cut  through teams like warm butter.. Truth be told, Muskegon should not be in the Black division. Is what it is.

2. Cass Tech - Wake me up when they play King in the PSL championship game

3. King - See CT above

4. Oak Park - Rolled Stoney Creek, wont have a tough game till week 8 when they play West Bloomfield

5. Chip Valley - Steamrolled Anchor Bay..Will still have some tough games coming up.

6. Muskegon Mona Shores - Good Win over a tough Rockford team..Will cruise till the big game against Muskegon..

7. Clarkston - Beat up what seems to be a down Rochester Adams team..Still some tough games remaining

8. Novi CC - Blew right through UofD as they should..Still 2 tough games coming up against DLS and Rice

9. DLS - A very tough, hard fought win over what seems to be a good Rice team

10. Fordson - Beat a tough Churchill team by playing a very disciplined game. QB was spectacular. Athletes all over. Maybe, just maybe something good brewing over at Fordson

Instead of listing teams that are next, im going to talk about a few teams that are all right there and can be interchanged.. Lets start with the glaring omission from my list

Belleville - If it smells like a duck, quacks like a duck, is it a duck?  Is Belleville reading the news paper clippings? Do they believe they can just coast through games because they have a ton of talent? I dont know, and now I have serious questions about this team..They have talent to beat anyone in this state..But squeaking by Brighton in the first week in the last minute, being down to Churchill at the half before pulling away do to Churchill turnovers, then this week to only win 26-21 over Westland John Glenn? A team that has not been good for over a decade? Who just got beat down last week by Churchill? The coaches need to do a better job at getting these kids to play together or they very well could be a one and done in the playoffs

East Kentwood - Welcome back to the Party!! Holy crap!! A total beatdown of a good and undefeated Holland West Ottawa team.. I mean 56-7? yeesh!! I think THIS is the EK that was rated real high at the beginning... Now here is the catch..Are they gonna stay this way or fall off? I just dont know yet as EK should always be good..Yet they usually turn out to be Meh or bad..Big game next week against a Good Grandville team (on a side not, Grandville schedule..wow)

Is Rice good? Is Hudsonville Good?  Is Canton? On and on...There is still so much unknown because of opening losses.. New coaches... teams starting off slow...Things seem so wide open in D1, D2.. Fun start of the season so far..

E
good stuff....yes Canton is good- I believe they'd beat Churchill in a rematch......yes BR is improved- they play good D......yes this is a talented Fordson team- very fast and playing in this league should help them- you know human nature the way it is- if one can win games by just showing up- one never gets better....agree 100% on Belleville- I think a Canton with what they do scores 40 on them

robertword
Junior

9:39 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #3

I don’t think it’s as wide open as you do. I think D1 is CT’s to lose. D2 will come down to King/DLS again. I don’t believe that teams like Ek, Belleville, oak park, cv, and Fordson can win the state championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsaker
Sophomore
gsaker
Sophomore

10:00 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #4

Nice list. I would probably put DLS at #4 though. The game against Muskegon really could have gone either way—DLS played them tough and the game was close until the end. DLS also dispatched a very good Grandville team by three touchdowns, whereas Clarkston only managed to beat them by 3 points. 

My top five would be:

1. King
2. Muskegon
3. Cass Tech
4. DLS
5. Novi CC
Last edited by gsaker on 10:05 AM - Sep 15, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame
TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame

10:03 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #5

robertword wrote: I don’t think it’s as wide open as you do. I think D1 is CT’s to lose. D2 will come down to King/DLS again. I don’t believe that teams like Ek, Belleville, oak park, cv, and Fordson can win the state championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CT is good, but they are not unbeatable..I dont believe they are as good (yet) as they have been in the past..Atleast from what I have seen.. Many teams will have a shot..Not sure on Belleville.. The others could win it...like I said, I do believe both to be wide open.. Yes, there are favorites but nothing like Muskegon walking through everyone in D3

EKDAD
Senior
EKDAD
Senior

10:20 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #6

I agree with your assessment of EK. We have all of the pieces in place to run the table in the OK Red and make a good run deep into the playoffs. Our achilles heel is the consistency of the defense. Our offense will get our share of points, but our defense doesn't always show up. Last night was the most complete game I have seen EK play in the 34 years we have been attending these games, including the Shillito years of 2002 - 2004. IF ... we the D can maintain playing up to it's potential, I think we can get to Ford Field and win. But as previously mentioned in a post above, we do not always handle success well and lose our consistent play. We shall see!!

10:59 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #7

I don’t know why anyone doubted EK because of their one loss. This just means Mona Shores is that good.

11:01 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #8

gsaker wrote:
My top five would be:

1. King
2. Muskegon
3. Cass Tech
4. DLS
5. Novi CC
King ranked higher than Muskegon even though they’ve played this year, and Muskegon won? 🤔

TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame
TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame

11:01 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #9

EKDAD wrote: I agree with your assessment of EK. We have all of the pieces in place to run the table in the OK Red and make a good run deep into the playoffs. Our achilles heel is the consistency of the defense. Our offense will get our share of points, but our defense doesn't always show up. Last night was the most complete game I have seen EK play in the 34 years we have been attending these games, including the Shillito years of 2002 - 2004. IF ... we the D can maintain playing up to it's potential, I think we can get to Ford Field and win. But as previously mentioned in a post above, we do not always handle success well and lose our consistent play. We shall see!!
The only thing that comes to mind there is coaching...This team has talent..Previous years has had the talent.. 4 playoff teams in 13 years is just mind boggling...Maybe im wrong.. I dont know

TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame
TOMMYZ
All-Searn Hall of Fame

11:02 AM - Sep 15, 2018 #10

MI Fball gooroo wrote: I don’t know why anyone doubted EK because of their one loss. This just means Mona Shores is that good.
Its not just because that..That team is so loaded, they should not have lost..Then look at the history when they were supposed to be good only to fall flat..