Moderator: TOMMYZ

Ohio Rumor

tommiegun80
All-Area

7:38 AM - Sep 06, 2018 #1

I Heard a rumor that Ohio got rid of kickoffs for Freshman football and is planning to get rid of them for varsity football by 2020. Can someone confirm or deny this please thank you.

bsmith03
Senior

8:56 AM - Sep 06, 2018 #2

Maybe they're using the college rule where a fair catch brings the ball to the 25 yard line?

10:16 AM - Sep 06, 2018 #3

It's true. Except the varsity adopting this by 2020 would be rumor at this point.

https://ohsaa.org/news-media/ArtMID/909 ... l-Practice

"Also of note, kickoffs are no longer permitted in freshman games, and they are only permitted in junior varsity games if both head coaches mutually agree. Kickoffs are already not permitted in junior high games."

pavlov
All-Searn H.M.
pavlov
All-Searn H.M.

12:32 PM - Sep 12, 2018 #4

I know that when CC Freshman (and I believe JV as well) played Toledo Whitmer and Toledo CC, there were no kickoffs. Ball was placed on receiving team's 35, first and ten.

kaycob
All-Area
kaycob
All-Area

1:48 PM - Sep 12, 2018 #5

pavlov wrote: I know that when CC Freshman (and I believe JV as well) played Toledo Whitmer and Toledo CC, there were no kickoffs. Ball was placed on receiving team's 35, first and ten.
Did they also just "call" punt on 4th down and move the ball 35 yards? 

pavlov
All-Searn H.M.
pavlov
All-Searn H.M.

3:25 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #6

kaycob wrote:
pavlov wrote: I know that when CC Freshman (and I believe JV as well) played Toledo Whitmer and Toledo CC, there were no kickoffs. Ball was placed on receiving team's 35, first and ten.
Did they also just "call" punt on 4th down and move the ball 35 yards? 
That, I don't know. But plays like this will get us there. He's lucky he didn't get vaporized. One really bad injury as a result of shenanigans like that and we'll be seeing the fair catch banned, or the punt return get banned. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -return-td

jv8888
All-State
jv8888
All-State

7:56 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #7

agreed.  they want to cut back on all the serious injuries from hits as much as possible and I understand that but they do what they can to stop the actions that lead to these situations.  Stop running back from dropping their heads when running into tackler.  Stop QBs from holding on to the ball until the very last second and you will stop having tacklers that finish their tackle and possibly cause injury.  

Or just deal with it and say injuries are part of the game.  

But it's got to be fair and consistent.  That penalty on clay matthews was so outrageous.  Textbook perfect tackle, shoulder into belly, one arm around waste, the other grabbing his leg and tucking it so he can't run away.  If you can't do that, then QBs should not be allowed to scramble/run.  How often do we see Big Ben take hits just like that where the guy doesn't wrap his legs, slides down and he steps out then makes the big throw.  So sick of seeing RBs dip their head and then the tackler has to stoop down to meet them and any helmet on helmet and tackler is thrown out.  Throw out the runner that created that situation.

I fully support the intention of these new rules if they are properly defined and enforced.  You don't want players getting lit up?  Don't let them do garbage like that return.  Don't let QBs run around "tricking" guys with pump fakes, last second slides, etc... but then punish the tackler if something goes wrong.  I thought we were at a good place a while ago, besides head shots.  Now they are getting ridiculous, essentially doing whatever they can to avoid anything that increases the risk of injury to QB.  Basically telling them you aren't allowed to tackle a QB unless he is running with the ball tucked and make sure you don't hit him "too hard".  If you can't do, what clay matthews did sunday...then just put a red jersey on them.