Moderator: TOMMYZ

majorhoople
Senior

February 19th, 2018, 9:49 am #41

robertword wrote: Well then they should move it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To when? MHSFCA already moved it from early August, when it used to be, to early June to accommodate scholarship signees.

Can't have it during school year because under MHSAA rules it would affect kids' eligibility.

robertword
Sophomore
robertword
Sophomore

February 19th, 2018, 11:09 am #42

I was going to say to early spring. The coaches should get together and change the mhsaa rules to allow it.

Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team
Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team

February 19th, 2018, 11:29 am #43

Oh, it's that simple..coaches come on just change the MHSAA rule  :)

robertword
Sophomore
robertword
Sophomore

February 19th, 2018, 2:05 pm #44

Qman wrote:Oh, it's that simple..coaches come on just change the MHSAA rule  :)
Aren’t coaches the coach’s the people who make the rules?

robertword
Sophomore
robertword
Sophomore

February 19th, 2018, 2:05 pm #45

Sorry, aren’t coaches the people who make the rules?

Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team
Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team

February 19th, 2018, 2:14 pm #46

Not that rule, that's the MHSAA governing body. 

majorhoople
Senior

February 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm #47

robertword wrote: Sorry, aren’t coaches the people who make the rules?

No offense, robertword -

But do you really think coaches in any sport can make up whatever "rules" they want without any oversight at state level? 

Jet44
Senior
Jet44
Senior

February 19th, 2018, 11:07 pm #48

Qman wrote:
Jet44 wrote:
Qman wrote: Just because a player isn’t enrolled early doesn’t mean the college will allow him to play. Or the player even wants to play.  If I was a D1 guy I wouldn’t want to play in this.
True, but you don't know that is the case. The fact is that he is nominated. I feel like if he didn't want to play his coach wouldn't go through the trouble of nominating him. There had to be some kind of dialogue between the coach and player. 

Coach: hey Theo I'm going to nominate you to play in the all star game
Theo: ok cool
Coach nominated him
Or
Theo: no, I'm not interested
Coach: ok, no big deal...

And MSU players played in this before so I highly doubt he is not allowed to play. 
You’d think that’d be the case, but having served on selection committees I can tell you it’s not.  

In regards to Big School fans traveling vs small school. I can point to numerous examples of small school players bringing way more than large school. It’s often a bigger deal at a smaller school that rarely or maybe never had a kid before.  A kid from Cass can make it annually and loses its excitement for the community.  

You’re a great example, you want big School kids only yet you call it a second rate game, you won’t hear that from the mid and smaller school people.
What committee? I thought coaches nominated their own players.

Not talking about traveling. I'm saying if the game is played in SE Mich you're going to get more fans from the big schools than you would from the small schools if the game were to be in Saginaw, alma, or wherever. Of course Cass fans aren't going to travel to Saginaw to watch a 2nd rate event. 

When did I say I want big school kids? I want the best kids available. Yes, I said kids from bigger schools will draw better, but that's if it's a 1st class event played close to home. I wouldn't doubt that smaller schools will travel better to Saginaw or alma, etc..

Jet44
Senior
Jet44
Senior

February 19th, 2018, 11:09 pm #49

onicapla wrote: Just imagine the conversation going this way.

Person doing nomination to star player "Hey I was going to nominate you for that game"
Star Player "Not interested in it, college coach said no"
Person doing nomination "Okay I won't nominate you"
People on internet " Why wasn't (insert name of star player) nominated for this game?  This is a joke"

The DZone was sending out tweets trying to encourage college coaches to let kids play in the game, if they are doing that I would think that certain college coaches say no to games like this as people have already mentioned. 

Speaking of Dzone, I believe that is the online source where nominations could take place.  Check with them. 
Again, the players I am talking about were nominated. I would understand if Theo day wasn't on the roster and not nominated. But he was nominated and not on the roster. 

Jet44
Senior
Jet44
Senior

February 19th, 2018, 11:11 pm #50

majorhoople wrote:
Jet44 wrote: And through all of this, my major point has not been addressed. This year the best QB in the state, Theo Day, has been nominated to play, and was not picked in favor of a bunch of 2nd rate kids. How does that help to promote the game and turn more of a profit? 
Each school can have only player selected to play. East team coaches must have felt they needed the Divine Child lineman more.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. If that's true then that's more evidence of this being a 2nd class event.