Moderator: TOMMYZ

onicapla
Senior

6:49 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #31

Just imagine the conversation going this way.

Person doing nomination to star player "Hey I was going to nominate you for that game"
Star Player "Not interested in it, college coach said no"
Person doing nomination "Okay I won't nominate you"
People on internet " Why wasn't (insert name of star player) nominated for this game?  This is a joke"

The DZone was sending out tweets trying to encourage college coaches to let kids play in the game, if they are doing that I would think that certain college coaches say no to games like this as people have already mentioned. 

Speaking of Dzone, I believe that is the online source where nominations could take place.  Check with them. 
Last edited by onicapla on 7:49 AM - Feb 19, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

robertword
Junior

7:19 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #32

For those of you saying that big time college programs don’t want their recruits playing in all star games-

How do you account for the massive amounts of big time kids playing in the under armour game and other National all star games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majorhoople
All-Area

7:41 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #33

robertword wrote: For those of you saying that big time college programs don’t want their recruits playing in all star games-

How do you account for the massive amounts of big time kids playing in the under armour game and other National all star games?

A national All-American game little different than a statewide All-Star game. No comparison.

onicapla
Senior

7:42 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #34

The ones that receive national TV coverage?  Think that might answer that question.  

majorhoople
All-Area

7:57 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #35

Jet44 wrote: And through all of this, my major point has not been addressed. This year the best QB in the state, Theo Day, has been nominated to play, and was not picked in favor of a bunch of 2nd rate kids. How does that help to promote the game and turn more of a profit? 
Each school can have only player selected to play. East team coaches must have felt they needed the Divine Child lineman more.

When picking the team it's a balancing act by number of players needed for each position, can only take one player from a school, regional representation, and minimum numbers required for Class A, B, C, D, 8-man.

Especially since roster sizes have been reduced from 44 to 34.
Last edited by majorhoople on 9:50 AM - Feb 19, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

robertword
Junior

8:19 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #36

onicapla wrote:The ones that receive national TV coverage?  Think that might answer that question.  
Why would a college coach care if the game is on national tv or not? That would be s selling point for the players obviously. But I’m talking about college coaches not letting kids play. Which I assume is for injury reasons. The same threat to get injured exists if the game is on national tv or not.

onicapla
Senior

8:50 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #37

robertword wrote:
onicapla wrote:The ones that receive national TV coverage?  Think that might answer that question.  
Why would a college coach care if the game is on national tv or not?  That would be s selling point for the players obviously. But I’m talking about college coaches not letting kids play. Which I assume is for injury reasons. The same threat to get injured exists if the game is on national tv or not.

Future recruits seeing current recruits going to a school on national TV would be a major positive for college coaches I would think.  Sitting at home watching the game and the player announcing that he is going to College A is a major thing in recruiting big time talent.

I honestly am having a hard time understanding why this is hard to understand.  This game is taking place in the summer before these big time players are getting ready to head to campus or are already on campus.  They will be playing in Michigan Stadium, Notre Dame Stadium, Beaver Stadium, etc soon.  Really not seeing how playing a game at SVSU, or if it is moved to Wayne, or even GVSU would be high on their priority list especially with the injury factor. 

majorhoople
All-Area

8:58 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #38

Under Armour game is played in first week of January so even if a kid gets injured he would have a lot more time to rehab-heal before reporting to college, unlike the East-West game.

Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team
Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team

9:35 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #39

robertword wrote: For those of you saying that big time college programs don’t want their recruits playing in all star games-

The date of the game is the big issue.  You'll see all-star games that take place in December/Jan in some states with decent participation as well.  In some cases these kids haven't committed to a school yet at that point.  But a Summer all-star game is facing a big uphill battle trying to get the top kids.  Just the way it works down.  

robertword
Junior

9:40 AM - Feb 19, 2018 #40

Well then they should move it up.