Moderator: Boeing747

Liggett and Greenhills to join in 2017

tommiegun80
All-Area

May 5th, 2016, 11:43 am #1

Liggett and Greenhills will be joining the CHSL in 2017.
Look for maybe some more of the Michigan Independent Athletic Conference to join as well.

Not sure what that means for NDP going forward.

Does not help out all boys central division again with their football scheduling.

Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team
Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team

May 5th, 2016, 11:48 am #2

Ligget will either regret this, or use this as a great springboard. I've always believed if Ligget committed to being good at football they had the chance to do very good things in the postseason.

HSSportsGuru
All-Searn 1st Team
HSSportsGuru
All-Searn 1st Team

May 5th, 2016, 5:09 pm #3

does this mean that Greenhills will finally get their football program going?

This rich private school should have football by now.

tommiegun80
All-Area

May 6th, 2016, 9:24 am #4

Maybe Greenhills does not want football.
Jewish Academy and Cristo Rey also are CHSL members without Football, although cristo rey had co-opped with cesar chavez in the past

ftballfan
All-Searn 2nd Team
ftballfan
All-Searn 2nd Team

May 6th, 2016, 8:40 pm #5

tommiegun80 wrote:
Jewish Academy and Cristo Rey also are CHSL members without Football, although cristo rey had co-opped with cesar chavez in the past
I think some Greenhills parents would pull their kids out (to homeschool them) if they added football, although Greenhills adding football would be more likely than Jewish Academy (for religious reasons). However, I could see some of the big non-football charter schools (Grand River Prep, Arbor Prep, Canton Prep, etc.) adding football before Greenhills.
I could also see the rest of the football-playing MIAC schools making the jump to the CHSL (Lutheran NW, Lutheran Westland, Southfield Christian, Parkway Christian, Oakland Christian) and non-football school Roeper (Greenhills and Roeper are strong in the "country club" sports).

AuldSchool.searnfootballforum
All-Searn Dream Team

May 6th, 2016, 9:00 pm #6

ftballfan wrote:
tommiegun80 wrote:
I think some Greenhills parents would pull their kids out (to homeschool them) if they added football, although Greenhills adding football would be more likely than Jewish Academy (for religious reasons). However, I could see some of the big non-football charter schools (Grand River Prep, Arbor Prep, Canton Prep, etc.) adding football before Greenhills.
I could also see the rest of the football-playing MIAC schools making the jump to the CHSL (Lutheran NW, Lutheran Westland, Southfield Christian, Parkway Christian, Oakland Christian) and non-football school Roeper (Greenhills and Roeper are strong in the "country club" sports).
Now why would someone pull their kid from a school because of football?  Greenhills is not not planning on compelling students to play football are they?

PrimeTime01
Senior

July 8th, 2016, 9:29 pm #7

Pretty sure none of the other MIAC schools will be joining the Catholic league. They will be looking to add a few teams at least for football.
Made sense for Liggett because of the other sports like Hockey, Field Hockey, ect... that some of the Catholic league teams have, that the MIAC doesn't.

spartansd
Junior

July 22nd, 2016, 9:52 am #8

Everyone always seems to ask how any team added to the DCL would help the All boys division.

Name a school that you would want to join the DCL and go straight into the All Boys Division.

I can only think of a couple that could consider it.

Country Day (in league wont jump up)
Lansing Catholic (distance issue)
Flint Catholic (again distance )

The one team that could do it and compete IMO is GR West Catholic but they are just too far away except for maybe football.

I mean it is a tough task to play those teams every week.

I think DDC is looking to bolster the football program and make the jump. But they have to be able to compete against Loyola and UD before they can consider that jump.

So again name a school that could join the league and compete in the league. I am not saying who could come get their arses handed to them 5 times. I am saying a school that could legit compete for the crown. And fits in the league.

23scout
Junior

July 24th, 2016, 5:54 pm #9

I would say--play each other...TWICE

Boom--6 games--done

Now establish a crossover at Ford Field Week 9 with the PSL
7 games done...

Set-up a Week 1 Challenge with the OK-MAC or OAA

Week 2 find your own

Facts remain until a current CLS gets a TON more kids OR a Catholic school in Northern Macomb takes off I just don't see another team joining the Central..

Then the rest of the league can play within and get their houses in order....

NDP back in
UDJ back in

See if DCD wants to play NDP--UDJ--AAGR--Loyola--DC That would be a great league
Last edited by 23scout on July 24th, 2016, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spartansd
Junior

July 25th, 2016, 2:30 pm #10

23scout wrote:I would say--play each other...TWICE

Boom--6 games--done

Now establish a crossover at Ford Field Week 9 with the PSL

7 games done...

Set-up a Week 1 Challenge with the OK-MAC or OAA

Week 2 find your own

Facts remain until a current CLS gets a TON more kids OR a Catholic school in Northern Macomb takes off I just don't see another team joining the Central..

Then the rest of the league can play within and get their houses in order....

NDP back in

UDJ back in

See if DCD wants to play NDP--UDJ--AAGR--Loyola--DC That would be a great league
I am impressed and agree.

This works. And I like the second tier league.

I do feel for those Central teams. Just insanely tough to fill that schedule. I think CC is about to rattle off a few great seasons because it appears the other 3 are down except maybe OLSM.

Few schools willing to take them on. And heading down to Ohio means some tough games. The only plus is that a 5-4 recond is usually good enough to get in playoffs for these teams. But if one of these teams are down that is 3 loses in the league. And if you double them up it could be 6. And history has shown that no matter where these teams finish they can still go far or win the MHSAA Championship in their respective division. So that seems fact makes the doubling up a bad idea.