Div 4 thru 8 2018 Lets get the conversation started

For those who get tired of only hearing about D1-D3 high school football .. The focus here is on D4-D8

Moderators: Green4eva, cowsbiteyou

Big_Red_4_Life
Sophomore

July 6th, 2018, 9:14 pm #21

justaguefan wrote:
FridayFootball wrote:
BIGREDS89 wrote: Im not sure how many WMC kids they had. Looked to be 40-45 the two nights I saw them working out with Fruitport.
That would mean they had a great turnout. If that's the case, I would say they got about 15-20 kids from WMC. That's what they'll need if they have any hope in competing in D6, should they make the playoffs. 
I was estimating 7-8. That should do MCC pretty good. Now the question is do they have the team to compete in D6 (assuming they qualify first).
Most years MCC can consistently compete with D5 & D6 teams. Some years, even a couple of D4 playoff team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jshaffer
Junior

July 7th, 2018, 8:55 pm #22

Northpointe Christian lost 14 Seniors from last year, including 4 of their 5 O-line and their all-time leading rusher but they could still squeak into the playoffs, considering that the OK silver will probably be pretty weak this year. This is a young team, with only 4 Seniors.  NPC tweaked their spread offense to be more of a Texas Tech Air-raid to fit their Jr QB's skill set (he is accurate and makes the right reads) and their speedy receivers and running backs, along with taking the pressure off their mostly new O-line.  One of their RBs transferred in from Houston Tx and has lots of speed as well.  Their Defense returns a very talented JR DT in Adam Lambert (6-4 290) and 3 of their 4  D-backs (all of which started last year) but their linebackers have limited varsity experience.  This could be a team that scores alot of points but give up alot of points.  From what I can tell, this NPC will be competitive, but is probably 1 year from really making a serious run in D-7. 

wolvereen
All-State
wolvereen
All-State

July 8th, 2018, 6:05 pm #23

Monroe St. Mary will compete for the Huron League this year which normally means a long run.  JLC should be D6 this year and D7 next.

eagleCHAMP05
All-Searn H.M.
eagleCHAMP05
All-Searn H.M.

July 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm #24

justaguefan wrote:
eagleCHAMP05 wrote: Montague will be very good again. Lost some good kids but had a lot of underclassmen playing serious minutes last year. Should be the favorite to win the WMC again.

Oakridge lost very little and has had some great teams at the JV level the last couple years so they should see some talent added onto returning players. Should be in the top group of the WMC and hopefully give Montague a little better competition for the league crown.

Ravenna should be improved. They hired the OC from Holland West Ottawa who will bring a brand new look to the Bulldogs that has never been seen before as he's known for running an effective, up-tempo spread offense.

Not sure about the rest of the conference. NM and Whitehall will be battling with Ravenna and could sneak into that top group to contend for the conference.

Hart, Shelby, and Mason County Central will probably be battling it out to stay out of the basement.
I like you assessment but I wouldn't overlook North Muskegon. They return a ton as well and should also factor into the conference race. More so than Ravenna. The Norse will be the most athletic team in the league and have a team that could make a decent run in D7.
Not necessarily overlooking them. I agree they'll be more athletic than anyone and have enough talent to compete for the top of the WMC, I just feel like their talent doesn't get utilized like it should. They were athletic and talented last year and couldn't do much with it. If their coach shows me they know how to use the players they have, then I might take them more seriously.

justaguefan
All-State

July 10th, 2018, 6:11 pm #25

It's FOOTBALL TIME IN MONTAGUE

July 10th, 2018, 7:34 pm #26

According to your Calpreps link, the team lost all 5 OL plus the QB so how can they return 6 offensive starters?

justaguefan
All-State

July 10th, 2018, 7:49 pm #27

8 man football rocks wrote: According to your Calpreps link, the team lost all 5 OL plus the QB so how can they return 6 offensive starters?
Good question it is probably a typo.
It's FOOTBALL TIME IN MONTAGUE

wolvereen
All-State
wolvereen
All-State

July 10th, 2018, 7:54 pm #28

justaguefan wrote: Ottawa Lake Whiteford team preview
http://calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2018/previe ... _Lake,_MI)
They lost a good amount. However they are probably still the tram to beat in D8.

July 10th, 2018, 10:24 pm #29

We will see where exactly the D8 breakpoint occurs.  I have to update my preseason breakpoints to account for the new co-op, but wouldn't be surprised to see Hudson in D8 this fall.

AnyGivenFri
All-Searn Dream Team
AnyGivenFri
All-Searn Dream Team

July 13th, 2018, 1:02 pm #30

I agree with OLW being team to beat in D8.   

In D5 cant forget SSV was young team last year and made the D5 finals.  Speaking of SSV their first 3 games are Cedar Springs, Frankenmuth, Freeland.  Ouch.    

Just noticed Freeland starts the season with Marshall which is interesting.