Moderator: TOMMYZ

onicapla
Senior

June 28th, 2018, 2:32 am #161

TheOAADude08 wrote:
onicapla wrote: https://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/inde ... ton_t.html

Mlive posted this today, was already known here it seems but here you go.
Thanks for posting this! Does anyone know what this means for the schools in the GAC Blue? Do they just keep moving forward or do they look for entry somewhere? The tough thing would be finding schools with similar enrollment in the area.  
I don't know the answer at all, seems like they could continue on their own or as some suggested look into what the smaller TVC teams are doing.

My solution that won't happen anytime quick or at all is either consolidation or being absorbed by other school districts.  All of those school districts (Bentley, Bendle, Atherton, Hamady, and Beecher) are from a time when the area had a thriving population and plenty of GM jobs to go around, when it seemed like every little area could support their own high school.  Without looking too far into it I would suspect Bentley could be absorbed by Davison and or Kearsley for example, Atherton by Grand Blanc, Bendle by Carman Ainsworth and or Davison, Beecher by Mt Morris, Hamady by Carman Ainsworth and or Mt Morris just for examples.  

Did look a little into populations, Mt Morris Township (Beecher and Hamady) according to the 2010 census had 21,000 people, just has an example Clio Schools which would be made mostly of Clio, Thetford Township, and Vienna Township have a total population of around 23,000 and covers twice the area as Mt Morris Township.  No one would think it would be a great idea if Clio Schools were split into two different high schools I don't think.

As for the "City" of Burton, it is mostly just a smaller in area township.  Population is 29,000, does not make a whole lot of sense anymore to have three different high schools in my opinion especially since they are all small ones.  

Dabullett
Sophomore
Dabullett
Sophomore

June 28th, 2018, 9:45 am #162

You have much history going on with these 5 school districts. Hamady, for the most part, was a part of Beecher before they started the new school district. I just don't see them merging, and neither are going to be a part of Mt. Morris. The Burton schools have voted in the past to merge, but have been shot down every time. Not that I am against schools merging, think of the savings in admin costs, but if it is left to the voters, too much pride and history come into effect.

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 28th, 2018, 4:54 pm #163

So let's say Burton voted to merge their districts. That doesn't necessarily eliminate any high schools. Are any of the buildings large enough to merge into 1 central high school? Many times when districts consolidate it saves them money by having one central administration (superintendent, athletic director, etc.) instead of multiple ones, but often the schools stay open or most of them do while they close down the ones that they are able to. I don't know anything about the Burton schools so I'm actually just asking the question. Would they be able to close any of them if the districts merged? 

As for the GAC without any mergers occurring they are at 5 teams which is hard for scheduling especially in football. I think they could add MLS, Nouvel, and Valley Lutheran to become an 8 team conference. All smaller schools, all in Saginaw and Genesee counties. 

onicapla
Senior

June 28th, 2018, 7:16 pm #164

Vandals05 wrote: So let's say Burton voted to merge their districts. That doesn't necessarily eliminate any high schools. Are any of the buildings large enough to merge into 1 central high school? Many times when districts consolidate it saves them money by having one central administration (superintendent, athletic director, etc.) instead of multiple ones, but often the schools stay open or most of them do while they close down the ones that they are able to. I don't know anything about the Burton schools so I'm actually just asking the question. Would they be able to close any of them if the districts merged? 

As for the GAC without any mergers occurring they are at 5 teams which is hard for scheduling especially in football. I think they could add MLS, Nouvel, and Valley Lutheran to become an 8 team conference. All smaller schools, all in Saginaw and Genesee counties. 
I have not been in any of those schools for years now so not sure what they have done inside any of the buildings, ie closing classrooms or any other modifications to adjust to years of decreasing enrollment.  Each school did however have bigger enrollments in the past so just guessing I might assume a building could handle more students.  Bentley is down to low 300s and Bendle in the 350s, at one time both had close to 500 a piece, they were also both Class B schools at various times in the 70s I think.  Have no idea if the same buildings then are being used today. Long winded answer is I suspect they could find a way to consolidate but not sure exactly. 

I understand community pride and not wanting change especially if you are the one who is shutting down but just my opinion the population in Burton does not warrant three schools anymore and Mt Morris Township does not need two schools.  Now honestly Mt Morris Township might be even harder because they are not even using old Beecher High anymore, (it might have been actually torn down by now, cannot remember), Beecher at one time was a large B school almost A school.  The old High School building would have handled a combined Beecher and Hamady with no issues but don't think that is possible anymore.

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 29th, 2018, 9:21 am #165

onicapla wrote:
Vandals05 wrote: So let's say Burton voted to merge their districts. That doesn't necessarily eliminate any high schools. Are any of the buildings large enough to merge into 1 central high school? Many times when districts consolidate it saves them money by having one central administration (superintendent, athletic director, etc.) instead of multiple ones, but often the schools stay open or most of them do while they close down the ones that they are able to. I don't know anything about the Burton schools so I'm actually just asking the question. Would they be able to close any of them if the districts merged? 

I have not been in any of those schools for years now so not sure what they have done inside any of the buildings, ie closing classrooms or any other modifications to adjust to years of decreasing enrollment.  Each school did however have bigger enrollments in the past so just guessing I might assume a building could handle more students.  Bentley is down to low 300s and Bendle in the 350s, at one time both had close to 500 a piece, they were also both Class B schools at various times in the 70s I think.  Have no idea if the same buildings then are being used today. Long winded answer is I suspect they could find a way to consolidate but not sure exactly. 

I understand community pride and not wanting change especially if you are the one who is shutting down but just my opinion the population in Burton does not warrant three schools anymore and Mt Morris Township does not need two schools.  Now honestly Mt Morris Township might be even harder because they are not even using old Beecher High anymore, (it might have been actually torn down by now, cannot remember), Beecher at one time was a large B school almost A school.  The old High School building would have handled a combined Beecher and Hamady with no issues but don't think that is possible anymore.
Ah okay. Sounds like they may be able to consolidate from 3 to 2 at least. I'm sure even if that ever happens it's not going to very soon so the GAC schools may want to look for homes in a new conference or invite some others to join them. 

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

July 5th, 2018, 8:41 am #166

http://grandblancview.mihomepaper.com/n ... eover.html

This article is from last year, but it looks like the GAC did reach out to several schools from the TVC last year when they heard about the schools leaving for the MMAC. I didn't realize there was such an issue with Millington. Maybe there really isn't? I just assumed it was because a lot of schools don't want to take the loss from them each year. 

Peter P
Junior

July 20th, 2018, 12:13 pm #167

https://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/in ... lignm.html

I think this has been posted elsewhere, but with the above comments regarding Millington, I thought that I would mention the TVC realignment and the fact that Millington was transferred from the East division to the West division where it will now butt heads with Ithaca football. Also, elimination of the East division, rearrangement of teams into the Central and West divisions, will cause interruption of old rivalries and creation of new ones.

insidescoop
Sophomore
insidescoop
Sophomore

July 26th, 2018, 11:02 pm #168

With Hazel Park joining the MAC in 2019 there will be another division realignment after this year. The question is will it be for all levels or just the three lower levels. Some meetings and votes going to be taken in the coming weeks

bsmith03
Senior

July 27th, 2018, 9:43 am #169

insidescoop wrote: With Hazel Park joining the MAC in 2019 there will be another division realignment after this year. The question is will it be for all levels or just the three lower levels. Some meetings and votes going to be taken in the coming weeks
Hazel Park looks like a perfect candidate for the Silver.  Enrollment hovering between A & B, with an equally up & down football team.  Like a bigger, better version of Clintondale.  Could talk me into the Gold division, but they would be up & down between Gold & Silver regularly.

bsmith03
Senior

July 27th, 2018, 9:45 am #170

bsmith03 wrote:
insidescoop wrote: With Hazel Park joining the MAC in 2019 there will be another division realignment after this year. The question is will it be for all levels or just the three lower levels. Some meetings and votes going to be taken in the coming weeks
Hazel Park looks like a perfect candidate for the Silver.  Enrollment hovering between A & B, with an equally up & down football team.  Like a bigger, better version of Clintondale.  Could talk me into the Gold division, but they would be up & down between Gold & Silver regularly.
They lost to Clintondale in 2017.  Maybe bigger, but not necessarily better.  Silver for sure.