Moderator: TOMMYZ

Big Change In Transfer Rule Announced

bsmith03
Senior

May 15th, 2018, 9:57 am #1

"The new transfer rule will make transferring student-athletes ineligible for one year in any sport played during the previous year at their previous school — unless that student-athlete’s situation fits one of the current 15 exceptions that allow for immediate eligibility."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... /34901625/ 

Tugboat69
Senior

May 15th, 2018, 1:23 pm #2

just buy a house and rent an apartment and you are good to go

Big_Red_4_Life
Sophomore

May 16th, 2018, 9:02 am #3

bsmith03 wrote:"The new transfer rule will make transferring student-athletes ineligible for one year in any sport played during the previous year at their previous school — unless that student-athlete’s situation fits one of the current 15 exceptions that allow for immediate eligibility."

What about a family that can't afford tuition at a Parochial school? The student is being "punished" because of a financial issue with the family?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fallfridaynights
Freshmen Unranked Walkon
fallfridaynights
Freshmen Unranked Walkon

May 16th, 2018, 9:07 am #4

Big_Red_4_Life wrote:
bsmith03 wrote:"The new transfer rule will make transferring student-athletes ineligible for one year in any sport played during the previous year at their previous school — unless that student-athlete’s situation fits one of the current 15 exceptions that allow for immediate eligibility."

What about a family that can't afford tuition at a Parochial school? The student is being "punished" because of a financial issue with the family?
You are so right Big_Red.  I know from personal experience.  Dealing with that as we speak.  So, even though, we pay taxes for the district we are in my kid can't play "his" sport there and we have no option but to transfer because of increase in tuition with his current private school.  Pretty frustrating that the kid is punished for this.

ftballfan
All-Searn 2nd Team
ftballfan
All-Searn 2nd Team

May 17th, 2018, 2:27 pm #5

fallfridaynights wrote:
Big_Red_4_Life wrote:

You are so right Big_Red.  I know from personal experience.  Dealing with that as we speak.  So, even though, we pay taxes for the district we are in my kid can't play "his" sport there and we have no option but to transfer because of increase in tuition with his current private school.  Pretty frustrating that the kid is punished for this.
IMHO, if a kid transfers from a private school to their PSOR (public school of residence) for financial reasons, immediate eligibility should be allowed.

bsmith03
Senior

May 22nd, 2018, 9:58 am #6

ftballfan wrote:
fallfridaynights wrote:
Big_Red_4_Life wrote:
IMHO, if a kid transfers from a private school to their PSOR (public school of residence) for financial reasons, immediate eligibility should be allowed.
That would be something to pose to the local Athletic Director for him/her to take to the Representative Council, unless a "financial hardship waiver" already exists.  A "financial hardship" would be the only method to prove a transfer from a tuition based school to a non-tuition based school wasn't athletically motivated.  Otherwise, this is an area that could easily be manipulated, such as with the QB who transferred from Country Day to Cass Tech for 2017.

Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team
Qman
All-Searn 2nd Team

May 22nd, 2018, 10:47 am #7

I know of a scenario where a student's family purposely stopped paying on a car, so that it would be reopossessed. They used that as a claim for financial hardship.  Then after the transfer went through bought a new house.  

bsmith03
Senior

May 22nd, 2018, 1:19 pm #8

Qman wrote: I know of a scenario where a student's family purposely stopped paying on a car, so that it would be reopossessed. They used that as a claim for financial hardship.  Then after the transfer went through bought a new house.  
That's deep. 

YOOPERNIB
Senior

May 22nd, 2018, 6:41 pm #9

Wow hard to believe this crap really happens.. 

TOMMYZ
All-Searn Dream Team
TOMMYZ
All-Searn Dream Team

June 4th, 2018, 7:01 am #10

This is interesting as ive  now talked with 8 coaches... 2 catholic and 6 public.....The 2 catholic coaches liked the new rule... 5 of the public hated it...1 coach did not care, lol