Moderator: Boeing747

Anyone attend the CC/Simeon game?

pavlov
All-Searn H.M.
pavlov
All-Searn H.M.

4:34 PM - Sep 09, 2013 #1

Thoughts?
I was impressed with Simeon. Very athletic, big, well coached. Was surprised that CC matched up so well with them once the game started. Seemed like CC was able to execute the running game well all night while Simeon struggled outside of a QB scramble here or there for decent yardage. Simeon didn't seem to have the ability to execute at the LOS against CC. Couldn't pass, and could not find running room for the RBs. 

Defensively, CC caused some mistakes that lead to turnovers and subsequently some easy quick points, and Simeon got a score on a very short field after a CC fumble as well. But CC was able to stop Simeon nearly all night otherwise. I think the CC defense imposed their will at the LOS and took away everything outside of the QB scramble. 

The Simeon QB was an exceptional athlete and runner. Against some previous CC teams, he would have been able to split the safeties for bigger gains, but the CC DB's looked very quick this week in keeping as contained as they could hope to.  

fbubet
Sophomore
fbubet
Sophomore

10:19 PM - Sep 09, 2013 #2

I agree with your assessment of Simeon.  They are a team that will only get better as the season progresses.  Some of the mistakes they made (poor shotgun snap) need to get corrected.  They hit hard and play hard (to the very end even when the game was out of reach).  Their line is huge and I have no idea why they wouldn't just line up and run the ball down an opponent's throat.  Great athleticism at the skill positions.  They will win a lot of games this year. 
CC has more athleticism themselves than in recent years so Simeon wasn't able to capitalize as much with their speed.  CC's O-Line opened up some huge holes and the coaching staff did a good job calling plays that took advantage of what Simeon was doing defensively.  Other than the fumble and an occasional pass block breakdown CC executed their game plan extremely well.
I think the key to the game was CC's answer after Simeon capitalized on the fumble and punched it in.  The momentum was all Simeon as they cut the lead to 14-7.  If CC doesn't score to push the lead back up to 14 who knows what would have happened.  The pick 6 was then the back breaker just before half.  But, again to Simeon's credit they wouldn't give up and played all out until the final seconds ticked off.
Now on to Whitmer who I'm sure will be extremely motivated to not lose two times in one year to Michigan teams...

pavlov
All-Searn H.M.
pavlov
All-Searn H.M.

7:49 AM - Sep 10, 2013 #3

fbubet wrote:
I agree with your assessment of Simeon.  They are a team that will only get better as the season progresses.  Some of the mistakes they made (poor shotgun snap) need to get corrected.  They hit hard and play hard (to the very end even when the game was out of reach).  Their line is huge and I have no idea why they wouldn't just line up and run the ball down an opponent's throat.  Great athleticism at the skill positions.  They will win a lot of games this year. 
CC has more athleticism themselves than in recent years so Simeon wasn't able to capitalize as much with their speed.  CC's O-Line opened up some huge holes and the coaching staff did a good job calling plays that took advantage of what Simeon was doing defensively.  Other than the fumble and an occasional pass block breakdown CC executed their game plan extremely well.
I think the key to the game was CC's answer after Simeon capitalized on the fumble and punched it in.  The momentum was all Simeon as they cut the lead to 14-7.  If CC doesn't score to push the lead back up to 14 who knows what would have happened.  The pick 6 was then the back breaker just before half.  But, again to Simeon's credit they wouldn't give up and played all out until the final seconds ticked off.
Now on to Whitmer who I'm sure will be extremely motivated to not lose two times in one year to Michigan teams...
I've been watching CC football a long time. And while I agree with your assessment that the Simeon TD which cut the lead to 14-7 was a huge play with potential momentum implications, I had absolute confidence that CC would score again and stretch the lead back to 14 before Simeon even threatened to score again. I had seen enough of the two teams to feel pretty good about that. It's what CC does in that situation. 
They knew Simeon had simply caught a break with the TO and scored on a very short field. They knew that outside of that, Simeon had been struggling to sustain a drive and keep their offense on the field. CC didn't get rattled at all, despite the numerous new starters on both sides of the ball. They showed tremendous poise, which I believe they draw from the coaching staff. They just continued on about their business.

Not all 14-0 leads are the same. It might have been different for a lot of other teams in that situation. And it might have been different had it been against an opponent who had shown the ability to move the ball against CC up to that point. Perhaps a CHSL Central rival. But CC did not get nervous, did not fold, remained confident, took care of the football, and just kept playing their game.

Onemansthought
Sophomore

9:05 AM - Sep 10, 2013 #4

I agree Simeon has a very large OL and DL. Good size poor Synergy between OB and Center at times. Possibly due to the fact that Simeon had 3-4 different players take a snap. Traditional alignment, shotgun, wildcat etc...  I was pleasantly impressed that CC was able to get the corner on Simeon with all the athletes Simeon has. CC line did not "blow" Simeon off the line on O or D. CC played the leverage and hit the angles, which is good coaching as the line is not as "big" as many think a CC line would be or has been.QB and WR were very good athletes for Simeon and CC did a good job containing them and keeping them in-between the hash-marks most of the time. Turnovers and execution after the turnovers were key for CC. I also want to make note of the Kickers, CC kickoff and punts were great, kept the ball out of the speed Simeon.  
Overall solid game, good to see the defensive backs, and LB flow to the ball and play a little press on WR's.
This weekends game should be a great game and another quality test to see how will CC can play a diverse athletic team, that has strong lines.
CHSL Central will be very tough this year, Glad to see UofD winning tough games.