Moderator: TOMMYZ

2018 Open Dates

HSSportsGuru
All-Searn 1st Team
HSSportsGuru
All-Searn 1st Team

May 31st, 2018, 10:11 pm #1

2018 Open Dates (last updated July 18....)

http://up-football.com/forums/viewtopic ... 16&t=15593
Last edited by HSSportsGuru on July 18th, 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

HSSportsGuru
All-Searn 1st Team
HSSportsGuru
All-Searn 1st Team

June 11th, 2018, 12:33 pm #2

updated

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 11th, 2018, 2:09 pm #3

I'm surprised Clare and Shepherd don't sign a 1 year deal. 

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 11th, 2018, 2:26 pm #4

Also saw that michigan-football has Farwell playing Gladstone in Week 9. Crazy what changing up scheduling will do to a conference. I'm curious if they're playing at a neutral location or not. 

fsufsufsu999
Freshmen Unranked Walkon
fsufsufsu999
Freshmen Unranked Walkon

June 13th, 2018, 4:13 pm #5

No 2 year back to back home and home with Gladstone/Farwell.   Not sure who is first.  
Not that biggy, Escanaba (same conf) plays Detroit Loyola in Esky

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 14th, 2018, 10:15 am #6

fsufsufsu999 wrote: No 2 year back to back home and home with Gladstone/Farwell.   Not sure who is first.  
4.5 hour drive for the Gladstone/Farwell games. Esky hosting Loyola...that's a DRIVE (6.5 hours)! It's cool & interesting to see teams play each other who generally never will though. 

fsufsufsu999
Freshmen Unranked Walkon
fsufsufsu999
Freshmen Unranked Walkon

June 14th, 2018, 10:28 am #7

Vandals05 wrote:
fsufsufsu999 wrote: No 2 year back to back home and home with Gladstone/Farwell.   Not sure who is first.  
4.5 hour drive for the Gladstone/Farwell games. Esky hosting Loyola...that's a DRIVE (6.5 hours)! It's cool & interesting to see teams play each other who generally never will though. 
Escanaba went to Loyola last year and won 21-20.  They had a 3 year Away, Home, Away with Detroit Country Day prior to Loyola and before DCC they were playing Detroit Westside Christian.  
I would bet if looking at last 30-40 years, Escanaba is by far the most traveled Regular season school in the entire state, along with the rest of the GNC in the top 10 as well.  

I find it cool and interesting as well.  Part of this WHOLE thing is also a learning experience.  Cultural exchange, being on road, meeting new fans and players.     Teams that just play within their own little 30-45 mins drive radius are 1) not prepping themselves for playoffs well (no matter how good the competition is close to them) and 2) Robbing the kids of the experience this was meant to be.   Travel expense is the weak minded, loser excuse and really is not a very good argument.

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 14th, 2018, 12:38 pm #8

fsufsufsu999 wrote:
Vandals05 wrote:
Escanaba went to Loyola last year and won 21-20.  They had a 3 year Away, Home, Away with Detroit Country Day prior to Loyola and before DCC they were playing Detroit Westside Christian.  
I would bet if looking at last 30-40 years, Escanaba is by far the most traveled Regular season school in the entire state, along with the rest of the GNC in the top 10 as well.  

I find it cool and interesting as well.  Part of this WHOLE thing is also a learning experience.  Cultural exchange, being on road, meeting new fans and players.     Teams that just play within their own little 30-45 mins drive radius are 1) not prepping themselves for playoffs well (no matter how good the competition is close to them) and 2) Robbing the kids of the experience this was meant to be.   Travel expense is the weak minded, loser excuse and really is not a very good argument.
I saw that on michigan-football for Escanaba. Good for them. I've noticed that the UP teams are not afraid of travel including in other sports. In competitive cheer we would often see Manistique and Munising among others downstate at meets so they could see how they stack up against others. I agree that it's important to travel and get those experiences. A 9-0 team in one area might be an 0-9 team in another. I think your travel argument is a bit harsh as a lot of schools are underfunded. Also, coming from a small school area I know a lot of people aren't handing out money to the school as they just don't have it. Some can barely afford to have their kids play sports at all. 

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 18th, 2018, 11:25 am #9

Vandals05 wrote: I'm surprised Clare and Shepherd don't sign a 1 year deal. 
Michigan-football now shows this happening. Guess other people thought the same thing! 

Vandals05
Sophomore
Vandals05
Sophomore

June 19th, 2018, 9:38 am #10

Hamtramck has Melvindale B&T in Week 9