Moderators: Green4eva, cowsbiteyou

Mr NCAA
Searn Forum Legend
Mr NCAA
Searn Forum Legend

5:18 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #11

I only put some facts out so people can compare on how things work out.  If OLW is in D8, then Addison will be in D8 this fall since they are below OLW in the SEN.

I thought that it would be closer to Hudson last year than it turned out to be.  So who knows for sure unless someone wants to project all the games before the season starts.  I think Hudson should have a decent and better shot at being in D8 this year compared to last year based on the info that I posted.

About the 3 Class C co-op teams moving down only 1 made the playoffs based on the 3 teams that I can recall off the top of my head.  I am not quite certain, but there might have been a 4th team that discontinued their co-op program and moved into Class D.

Mr NCAA
Searn Forum Legend
Mr NCAA
Searn Forum Legend

10:26 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #12

One more interesting fact is that 4 teams right below Potterville qualified for the playoffs last year to provide somewhat of a buffer for Hudson to become a D8 team.

HBalum
All-State
HBalum
All-State

1:02 PM - Aug 14, 2018 #13

Interesting story out of Harbor Beach. Former GTC rivals Harbor Beach and Deckerville (now moved to 8-man and doing quite well) competed against each other in the "Farm Fit Challenge". In the kind of thing that probably only happens in the thumb, the former rivals football players completed what amounted to a 25 minute obstacle course that looks to be a pretty tough workout. Story and pics below at this link: https://www.michigansthumb.com/sports/a ... 153738.php

midmi1
Senior
midmi1
Senior

2:50 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #14

GoBlueAggies wrote: I hope to see my Beal City Aggies in contention in 2018!  The first two games may be rough - Clare in week 1 and Kent City in week 2. Go Blue!
When I was taking a look at Fulton-MIddleton's long CMAC win streak that went from 03-09, I noticed that Beal City played Fulton 4 times and was 4-0 against them while Fulton went 44-0 against a very strong league. Beal City has a very competitive schedule this year, no weeks off or easy wins, but 6-8 regular season wins are possible.

Mr NCAA
Searn Forum Legend
Mr NCAA
Searn Forum Legend

11:06 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #15

Looking forward to AuldSchool's weekly projections starting in week 3 to see how this all pans out.

AnyGivenFri
All-Searn Dream Team
AnyGivenFri
All-Searn Dream Team

10:58 AM - Aug 17, 2018 #16

My guess is on one side of bracket you have contenders OLW, Mendon and Hudson and on the other side you have Ishpeming, West Iron County and Beal City.  I'm likely missing a team or two that could make things interesting.  

HBalum
All-State
HBalum
All-State

11:28 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #17

Nouvel would probably be the big one you're missing. They return a lot of talent from their team last year. 

AuldSchool
All-State
AuldSchool
All-State

8:56 PM - Aug 23, 2018 #18

These are the break points for each Division by past history.
Not that history ever exactly repeats…

Thanks to Mr NCAA for originally giving me these a few years ago.
What I've done since we have been having a shrinking number of teams is to do it by precentages and take an average of that.
So Division one usually has a lower limit that scores out at 10.4% of the total number of teams. This year that would equate to the 57th largest school by enrollments.

FIXED LINK
Once again some strange things happen when trying to post to this board
Last edited by AuldSchool on 4:06 PM - Aug 24, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

AnyGivenFri
All-Searn Dream Team
AnyGivenFri
All-Searn Dream Team

8:27 AM - Aug 24, 2018 #19

Breckenridge over Beaverton 20 - 19. 
Last edited by AnyGivenFri on 7:10 AM - Aug 25, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

HBalum
All-State
HBalum
All-State

9:30 PM - Aug 24, 2018 #20

Harbor Beach 34 Bad Axe 20

Not sure how I feel about this one. Harbor Beach's offense was unstoppable for the 1st 3 quarters. Any concern that the loss of Jimmy Schelke to graduation quickly melted away as Michael Anderson proved more than capable of leading the offense, starting the game 8/8 with 125 yards and 2 TD's passing, and over 100 yards rushing. The only drive in the first 3 quarters of the game Harbor Beach didn't score on was after taking over on downs with less than a minute to go in the first half. 

The Pirates led 34-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter and started to empty the bench a bit which.... did not go well. The offense that was unstoppable the first 3 quarters turned the ball over on downs, and then lost 2 fumbles in their own territory on 2 consecutive plays, leading to 2 Bad Axe scores to make the final 34-20.

The real concern with this team though could be the defense. Only giving up 6 points in 3 quarters may not sound like a bad performance, but I don't think it tells the entire story. Bad Axe was consistently able to pick up some nice chunks of yardage, but shot themselves in the foot a few times by losing a fumble and committing costly penalties. Harbor Beach was definitely in bend don't break mode, which is a bit worrisome. The single wing that Bad Axe runs seemed to confuse the Pirates a bit, but luckily they won't be seeing that offense again.

All in all a first game that could have been better, could have been worse. I still don't know how good this team actually is. The offense may be fine, but the defense sure needs some work.