Warhammer 40k 8th Ed League Begins Aug 22!

Moderators: dragonofid, Zetan, Dr_Pain

Warhammer 40k 8th Ed League Begins Aug 22!

bamatrix

25 Jul 2017, 18:41 #1

The Warhammer 40k 8th Edtion Fall League at Atomic Empire will begin August 22nd!

I'm Blaine and I will be your guy on the ground running the show on league nights.

League Night will be Tuesdays at 6pm and, as stated above, we'll be getting started on August 22nd. I would have started it up sooner, but then I would have had to skip a week as I am attending Gen Con. This will give us more time to get ahead on painting up our new units for this edition! You can show up and start playing anytime on Tuesday. I will generally arrive around 5:30p and start setting up tables.

HERE IS THE REGISTRATION LINK

We will be utilizing Power Level lists, escalating by 10 each week. 10 PL is a reasonable amount to paint on a week to week basis, however painted models are not required. They will just give a bonus to your general match points as well as a shot at a prize. We want to do Power Levels for this first go around as it is a good way to get everyone used to the new rules, which is the primary focus of this first league.

SCHEDULE

WK1 (August 22) 30 PL, 1 detachment
WK2 (August 29) 40 PL, 1 detachment
WK3 (September 5) 50 PL, 1 detachment
WK4 (September 12) 60 PL, 2 detachments
WK5 (September 19) 70 PL, 2 detachments
WK6 (September 26) 80 PL, 2 detachments

NOTE: These dates are subject to change, so please check back on the forums for any updates.

LIST-BUILDING RESTRICTIONS
By the time this league kicks off we will have at least 2 codices released in addition to the indices. Codices will be getting released so quickly that I think about 5 will be released by the end of the league. Since this is the case, I am going to allow use of any codex as they come out. There will be no delays. The only stipulation here is that if your codex is out BEFORE the league starts, you must use that book for the league. If your codex comes out during the league, you can use it as soon as you get it. If you don't/can't get your new codex as soon as it comes out, you may continue to use your index until you get it. So be sure to get your pre-order into the store as early as possible if you want your codex fresh off the presses!

Also, since this is a casual league, focused on getting used to the new edition and so many people are just coming back, I'm going to restrict options for forces to 2 index armies/codices and your army must remain Battle-Forged. Examples: I can bring my Space Marines with some Officio Assassinorum or Astra Militarum, not both. If I bring my Harlequins, I can pair them with Eldar or the Ynnari, not both.

Forge World models are allowed, but only if your opponent agrees to it.

PAIRINGS
I'll post pairings on the forums for each week as well as a link to a google doc with a scoreboard for match points. You will not be paired against the same person twice, unless you've already played everyone in the league. In the event that one player can't make the league night, it is up to them to reschedule their game with their opponent for another time. If something can't be worked out, the player that didn't make league night will be assigned a loss and their opponent will be given a win. If both players can't make league night and can't get a make-up game in, then both will be assigned a loss. If a rescheduled game needs to take place after the next week's game, that is fine, just let me know. I will do pairings for the next week as if you had a draw and then go back and change the scores later. If you know you aren't going to make it to league night, please make a post on the forums to notify your opponent, so they don't go to the store and wait on you! If your opponent isn't going to make it, feel free to still come and play/paint/chat!

MATCH POINTS AND SPORTSMANSHIP/PAINT SCALES
Points will be award for victories, painting and sportsmanship. You will be given a match slip each week for each player, which will include the mission type on it (I will post more about missions, etc. as we get closer to the first league night). When your game is complete you will fill out your own match slip and turn it in to me. This should go without saying, but please don't collude about the points for sportsmanship. The point structure will go something like this:

Win a game: 3 match points for the winner
Draw a game : 1 match point for each player
Lose a game: No match points for loser

There will be a scale on the match slip for sportsmanship:
0) Your opponent was one of the least fun people you've ever played with.
1) The game was fine, some arguments/disagreements.
2) Game was fun, no arguments.
3) This opponent is one of the most fun people I've ever played with.

We will have a scale on the match slip for paint quality:
0) Not painted.
1) Base colors only.
2) Painted to a tabletop quality/based. (Completed miniatures)
3) Something that is a treasure to behold.

For these 2 scales, the 3 pointer should obviously be a rare thing. How these scales will work:

Person with highest scores for each scale will get 3 additional match points.
Person with second highest scores for each scale will get 2 additional match points.
Person with third highest scores for each scale will get 1 additional match point.
Any ties will be decided by the organizer (I can't select myself over anyone else)

That means that if you manage to get best sportsman AND paint, that you essentially got an extra 2 battle wins to count towards best general.

The player with the highest match points at the end of the league will be named Best General and declared the winner of the league. If there is a tie for first place, the players can either play a tiebreaker game, or just share the title/prize. That will be entirely up to them.

PRIZES
Prize structure will be based on participation. I will post specifics following the first night of the league about what prizes will be, since that's when I will have a final headcount on number of entries.

I WANT YOUR INPUT
Please chime in with your thoughts and opinions as I want this to be a fun experience for everyone. I can modify any of the above up to the first league night, then it is locked in until the next league.

Also, please post your name below and what army you will be playing as it will greatly help me with pairings and help you all get in touch with each other!

Paladin
Paladin

03 Aug 2017, 23:22 #2

Robert Thornhill
Imperial Knight House Terryn and Raven Guard

nstephenh

04 Aug 2017, 01:59 #3

Id love to join, but I have a class Tuesday nights. Oh well, maybe next Semester. Good luck to all leave participants.

bamatrix

04 Aug 2017, 21:06 #4

Hope you can make it out next time, Stephen! If you want to get in some games on another night, just drop a line!

I will be participating in the league with my Imperial Fists. Might bring some Assassins on down the road, but most likely just gonna stick to the Marines.

bnspalding

21 Aug 2017, 20:00 #5

Just moved out to the area and new(ish) to 40k. Is it too late (or a bad idea as a new player) to get involved with this league?

-Ben Spalding
Tyranids

gregory
gregory

22 Aug 2017, 01:14 #6

Can't make it tomorrow, but I'd love to play for the rest of the league. If that's okay:

Eric Gregory
Ultramarines

4ndroid
4ndroid

22 Aug 2017, 12:30 #7

have any of the match ups been posted?

haven't heard anything about this ?

bamatrix

22 Aug 2017, 13:58 #8

The pairings will be posted later today. I haven't got a final headcount/list of participants, as I just got home from Gen Con late last night.

Dr_Pain
Experienced Member
Dr_Pain
Experienced Member

22 Aug 2017, 14:13 #9

Dale Payne: Necrons
Egyptian Space Robots for the win!

cmcole
cmcole

22 Aug 2017, 22:15 #10

Christopher Cole: Eldar

I cant play tonight, but if anyone in the league can get a game in tomorrow Wednesday, August 22nd. Im free after 1200 hours.

bnspalding

28 Aug 2017, 20:28 #11

There will be a post at some point with pairings for the week that starts tomorrow, correct?

Thanks again so much for organizing!

4ndroid
4ndroid

02 Sep 2017, 17:17 #12

finally got registered

I'll be there this Tues Sept 5th

playing Imperial Guard

looking forward to meeting everyone

nstephenh

02 Sep 2017, 23:49 #13

After talking to some people in store, I'd like to join the league if its ok that I can't play Tuesdays (except this Tuesday), but am willing to come out Saturdays/Sundays (or some other time if necessary) to get in league games.

If so I'll sign up tomorrow. Regardless, I'll probably be at the store from 2:30 to 5:30ish looking for non-league games.

I'm Noah Haskell (just call me Noah) and I'll be playing Space Wolves.

Edit: due to a schedule mixup turns out I can't come this Tuesday after all. If I can still sign up without coming on Tuesday I'd love to be able too.

bamatrix

05 Sep 2017, 15:54 #14

I have had a few questions regarding proxies and I have decided that I'm going to allow proxies in this particular league (probably won't allow them in future leagues though). Examples of what I mean by "mostly representative" below:

Ok: dreadnoughts with arms that are not supplied in the box sets, necron destroyers proxyed for heavy destroyers, eldar guardians for dire avengers, etc.

Not ok: regular space marine for primaris marines, imperial guardsman for an ogryn, etc.

Honestly, as long as the base of the figure is the correct size, it has been made clear what your proxy is, and your opponent is cool with it, there should not be a problem. If there is a dispute regarding proxies, just call me over and I'll make a call.

See you tonight!