Zetan
Paragon Member
Zetan
Paragon Member

11 Sep 2017, 22:54 #1

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... p-and-run/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... m-refresh/
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... rdlist.pdf

This could get me back into Netrunner... it's definitely a different game than when I last played.

The quick and dirty: There's a new core set coming out. It replaces the old core set in terms of what's legal for tournament play. Every card from the old core set that you've ever said "That seems maybe a little too strong" is gone, except Sure Gamble and Hedge Fund. Here's a list of the biggest ones I noticed:

Kate
Noise
Core HB
Desperado
Account Siphon
Corroder
Yog
SanSan
Astroscript
Breaking News
Scorched Earth
Accelerated Beta Test

I think that's most of the big ones. All of those cards are no longer tournament legal as soon as the new core releases. They also made a few cards that were going to rotate not rotate, but I haven't really had time to figure that out yet.

So yeah... obviously I'll miss a few of these, but even the ones I used, I can admit they were a problem. And just... wow. The game will never be the same.
-Shane

Zetan rhymes with Tibetan.

I played swarm before it was cool. What's that? You say it's still not cool? Oh. Well, when it becomes cool, remember I was playing it now.

CruelAngel

12 Sep 2017, 02:16 #2

Yea, it's going to be interesting. Sadly they're not doing 3-of's so probably won't be buying the actual box.

Also, it goes into effect before the physical product comes out. They confirmed Worlds will use the Revised Core list.

Zetan
Paragon Member
Zetan
Paragon Member

12 Sep 2017, 02:57 #3

CruelAngel @ Sep 11 2017, 10:16 PM wrote: Yea, it's going to be interesting. Sadly they're not doing 3-of's so probably won't be buying the actual box.

Also, it goes into effect before the physical product comes out. They confirmed Worlds will use the Revised Core list.
Yeah, I see no reason to buy the actual box. Aside from maybe those sweet runners with the new art.

I think for runner, I'll probably end up with Smoke... I always wanted to make Stealth work, so it seems natural to give it a go now that it's actually got a solid amount of support.

No idea what I want to do for corp, though. NBN was always my go-to corp... what does NBN even do these days? With 0 Astroscript and 0 SanSan and 0 Breaking News, my old shenanigans definitely will not work. Is NBN Fast Advance still even a little bit of a thing? Did Spark ever become decent? Any way to make PsychoBeale into a more plausible win-con?
-Shane

I played swarm before it was cool. What's that? You say it's still not cool? Oh. Well, when it becomes cool, remember I was playing it now.

jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member
jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member

12 Sep 2017, 14:13 #4

Sync/Sol/CtM still have lots of way to stick tags between HHN, news team, raven, Gutenberg, news hound, etc. I don't think psycho Beale for 13 will be competitive but psycho FA will probably still see play.

neuropantser

12 Sep 2017, 14:20 #5

Agreed. Tagstorm still seems like a viable archetype. A successful HHN takes 4 clicks and 8 (12 in SYNC) creds from the runner at worst; at best, the tags stick around and you can punish with Closed Accounts, All-Seeing I, more HHN, Threat Level Alpha, etc. Some builds probably want to work towards an endgame of BOOM!, some builds probably threaten to score out with Psycho-Beale.

Titan FA seems not only viable but actually fairly strong in a world without its natural predator (Siphon).

jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member
jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member

12 Sep 2017, 20:20 #6

I agree on Titan. Armored Servers + Evergreen Atlas makes the deck very happy. Splash some low inf. Ice and you've got a solid FA/rush deck.

neuropantser

13 Sep 2017, 00:54 #7

Or, alternatively, run 3 Beanstalks and not enough ICE, then ruse your friends into playing it instead of you.

Hollenden

13 Sep 2017, 03:36 #8

I'm so confused now. How does one build a runner deck without Account Siphons?

Zetan
Paragon Member
Zetan
Paragon Member

13 Sep 2017, 13:46 #9

Hollenden @ Sep 12 2017, 11:36 PM wrote: I'm so confused now. How does one build a runner deck without Account Siphons?
Well, you could use Vamp instead...

Oh wait, that's rotating too.
-Shane

neuropantser

13 Sep 2017, 14:20 #10

Helpful guide to building runner decks without Siphon: guide to no siphon

neuropantser

13 Sep 2017, 16:25 #11

In all seriousness, crim seems to be in an interesting place whenever they get their econ suppression tool/siphon replacement (presumably in Kitara cycle). They have snatched the title of "faction with the best AI that doesn't nuke your influence" away from Anarch, and it synergizes with the Aeneas Informant playstyle that is already the faction's best answer to asset spam. Run a Sifr or two in case the corp purges with no open servers, and you got a stew goin'. Only issue is, with no Siphon, I have a hard time seeing how that currently translates into winning in a way that Shaper can't do better.

Zetan
Paragon Member
Zetan
Paragon Member

13 Sep 2017, 18:05 #12

neuropantser @ Sep 13 2017, 12:25 PM wrote: In all seriousness, crim seems to be in an interesting place whenever they get their econ suppression tool/siphon replacement (presumably in Kitara cycle). They have snatched the title of "faction with the best AI that doesn't nuke your influence" away from Anarch, and it synergizes with the Aeneas Informant playstyle that is already the faction's best answer to asset spam. Run a Sifr or two in case the corp purges with no open servers, and you got a stew goin'. Only issue is, with no Siphon, I have a hard time seeing how that currently translates into winning in a way that Shaper can't do better.
Plus, birds. ;)
-Shane

CruelAngel

13 Sep 2017, 19:53 #13

neuropantser @ Sep 13 2017, 11:25 AM wrote: Only issue is, with no Siphon, I have a hard time seeing how that currently translates into winning in a way that Shaper can't do better.
That's my issue with Siphon and Desperado going away. The only non-restrictive in-faction breakers for Criminals are way too expensive to install and use consistently. The Turtle/Aeneas combo is nice, but easy to shut off in a corp that doesn't spam assets and Macrophage/CVS haven't gone anywhere.

Hollenden

14 Sep 2017, 03:40 #14

neuropantser @ Sep 13 2017, 09:20 AM wrote:Helpful guide to building runner decks without Siphon: guide to no siphon
Hahaha... *crying*.

I'm curious to see what tools they'll give Crim in the new cycle. Hopefully a few actually good consoles, fun hardware and sneaky events that are high enough influence that it actually works better in Crim than either Anarch or Shaper. As long as there is a way to take corp money, it should be okay (I think?). Crim's thing has never really been to break ice for repeated accesses.

Zetan
Paragon Member
Zetan
Paragon Member

14 Sep 2017, 13:21 #15

Hollenden @ Sep 13 2017, 11:40 PM wrote:
neuropantser @ Sep 13 2017, 09:20 AM wrote:Helpful guide to building runner decks without Siphon: guide to no siphon
Hahaha... *crying*.

I'm curious to see what tools they'll give Crim in the new cycle. Hopefully a few actually good consoles, fun hardware and sneaky events that are high enough influence that it actually works better in Crim than either Anarch or Shaper. As long as there is a way to take corp money, it should be okay (I think?). Crim's thing has never really been to break ice for repeated accesses.
I mean, Shaper survived without good consoles for a long time... I'm sure Crim will be fine. :) And, I mean, Box-E isn't bad... it was always overshadowed by Desperado, but I could see it doing some good work now that Desperado is gone.
-Shane

neuropantser

14 Sep 2017, 16:27 #16

I think the crim console of choice is probably Doppelganger now. Open remotes become 2 turtle counters and 2*Aeneas Informant credits your first click of the turn. Also helps clear Temujin off faster.

jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member
jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member

18 Sep 2017, 13:35 #17

Gauntlet is also very attractive. That card is great, especially now with Agenda's more likely to build up in HQ. Without Jackson to safely overdraw and pitch agendas are bound to build up in hand. It also means you're likely to get a ton of free accesses (Read Temujin on HQ), or you're getting 2-3 accesses every run. And let's not forget the synergy with the Turtle.

CruelAngel

19 Sep 2017, 23:35 #18

If the leaked banned/restricted list is true they may as well just stick a fork in Criminal. Without Temujin, Desperado, or Account Siphon they're just not going to be able to afford their own good breakers and consoles. Geist might be the only Criminal left.

jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member
jdc_wolfpack
Advanced Member

20 Sep 2017, 14:50 #19

Yeah, thankfully the rumors would seemingly kill asset spam HB (although I'm not convinced). That should vault Geist into the forefront. He's easily the best Glacier match up Crim has, and he can take Sunny's killer if Gagarin Prison still kicks around (tour guide with no parasite is really gross).

After that I think Denial Los, or maybe just good stuff Leela would be the next picks.

In an asset spam world I'm not sure Crim is an option anymore. Val starts looking really good in that scenario with imp Friday Chip, scrubbers, bad pub, mining accident, etc..

That said I think Ag is the real winner of this rumored list. Strike and Critic on restricted is a huge boost. Paired with the loss of core set ice destruction, and the add of Celeb Gift they should be very well positioned.

CruelAngel

20 Sep 2017, 18:19 #20

It will slow down asset spam but I'm not sure it's dead either.

It's not just AgInfusion getting a boost. Almost all the popular Jinteki IDs do when you have to choose between Levy, Film Critic, and Employee Strike.