Air defence factory

1/48 Kitech Airwolf

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

21 Jan 2008, 06:31 #1

Hi guys...

Another model kit in progress from me. I hope this year I can complete more than last year. It's actually a commissioned build from my friend. He asked me to build four models for him. One is a Blue Thunder helicopter (Kitech), this Airwolf helicopter (Kitech) and two Gundams (Bandai - the mech is yet to be decided).

Since this is a Kitech model kit, I don't think it will be a smooth building process. The model kit will surely test my nerve and patience on building it. The model kit itself is a copy of the long discontinued Airwolf model kit from MPC. Since it is a copy, this model has all the problems the MPC model has.

First is the panel lines. It is huge!!! Looks like a scaled down of the Nile River (ok, ok, I'm exaggerating here... :lol: ) but the panel lines is really thick and deep. I will have to fill it in with epoxy and scribe a new ones. Take a look at the picture below. I will also remove all the unnecessary lines, rivets and add some things to make it look like the Airwolf.

I start with the cockpit assembly. The ejector mark and fleshing is too thick and visible that I have to use my knife, files and sandpaper to smooth and level it... and this is only at the instrument panel.

When I have smoothed it out, I glue the front of the instrument to the housing. Fitting disaster again!!!... There are gaps everywhere!!! I decided to just let it as it is and to rebuild the instrument panel face using plastic sheet later and rebuild the gauges as well using the available reference.

The interior is very simplified that I have a hard time to restrain myself not to start cutting and detailing it as it won't be visible at all after the body halves has been attached. It is assembled and I will paint it later with whatever colour I think will suit it as there is also no colur guide for this model kit.

Another fitting issue. The side vents on the chopper is made out of two parts and when assembled, again, the gaps and misallignment are present. This will also needs to be puttied and sanded off.

There are a lot of problems with this model kit but I will try and document all the corrections, modifications, rebuilding and scratchbuilding that I'll do to this model kit to make it looks like the Airwolf helicopter as close as possible. Plus I will also need guidance when I build my own Airwolf... :lol:
What is understood need not be discussed

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia

Captain Kirk
Advanced Member
Captain Kirk
Advanced Member

21 Jan 2008, 07:03 #2

Nice work, dude!

Actually, this Kitech kit is still better than the original AMT/MPC kit. It has more additional (accurate) details added onto the fuselage, and provides pilot & crewman as well, for a cheaper price. Hahahaha

Go Figure! One of the few times the copy kit is better than the original. I have both kits and can definitely vouch for that! :D

Awaiting your progress on this (are you going to try to build Airwolf II as well? Red & Black colour version....)

cheers,

Ken B)
I reprogrammed the simulator so it was possible to rescue the Kobayashi Maru.... I Don't Like To Lose!

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

21 Jan 2008, 07:10 #3

Captain Kirk @ Jan 21 2008, 03:03 PM wrote: Nice work, dude!

Actually, this Kitech kit is still better than the original AMT/MPC kit. It has more additional (accurate) details added onto the fuselage, and provides pilot & crewman as well, for a cheaper price. Hahahaha

Go Figure! One of the few times the copy kit is better than the original. I have both kits and can definitely vouch for that! :D

Awaiting your progress on this (are you going to try to build Airwolf II as well? Red & Black colour version....)

cheers,

Ken B)
Wow! I didn't know that the Kitech is much more accurate than the AMT/MPC ones. Got to get me another one. :lol:

As for building Airwolf II, I'll have to see how this build goes like and decide (to build or not) when I finish this model.

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia

PoohBear
Snr Member
PoohBear
Snr Member

21 Jan 2008, 07:39 #4

Thank you, sir :)

Now I know where to look if I decide to build my 'Serigala-Udara' :D

Keep it coming.

cheers and happy modelling :)

honeymic
Advanced Member
honeymic
Advanced Member

21 Jan 2008, 08:00 #5

I will keep a close eye on this WIP also ... as Me also have that 2 Kitech Kits ... Udara Serigala ... and Biru Petir ...
Michael T

mr b
Snr Member
mr b
Snr Member

21 Jan 2008, 11:05 #6

Wah

Brings back alot of memories.......you are doing a great job.....I do have the kitech offering ....but only when I have a straight 2 weeks to work on it..or so.....when I will have such time I dunno....:)planning the airwolf II...

Got the Asohama << I think metal airwolf.....its based on the original plastic....kit ...but the rotors turn (Even the tail rotor) doors open and gear retract....

Do a search on ARC forum ......there was one tread with a testors colour one guy used very very close to the original.....HTH but to get the colour its not going to be easy....

Good Luck with you build.........

Rgds
Mr B
Mike Romeo Bravo

Make Love not War ......Peace Dude .....

kuman
Snr Member
kuman
Snr Member

22 Jan 2008, 01:44 #7

err.. they got Airwolf 2? where?

anyway... another one from Imran for 2008...
eventhough i dont have the "Serigala Udara" ..-yet... but i'll follow this as well justa s i follow the progress of Loo (?) "Petir Biru" last time which resulted me in getting the "Petir Biru" recently :D

keep on it Imran

kuman

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

24 Jan 2008, 03:03 #8

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Mr B: The actual colour for Airwolf is actually Phantom Grey Metallic by DuPont paint on top and pearl white on the underbelly. I will search ARC for the build-up that you mentioned. Thanks.

Kuman: Airwolf II also known as "Redwolf" is actually the same type of helicopter (BELL 222) which is build by the F.I.R.M (also the guys building Airwolf)actually to replace Airwolf but was then also stolen by their test pilot (how ironic :lol: ) and was eventually destroyed by Airwolf.

The only difference is that the Airwolf II has black (top) and red (underbelly and nose) colour scheme while the Airwolf has black (top) and white (underbelly). The Redwolf is also equipped with a laser weapon. I think the first debut was somewhere in the third season of the Airwolf series (which the Redwolf was also destroyed on the same episode).

Ok, enough of the history lesson :lol: . It's progress reporting time...

Not much though. I didn't have much time to do anything as yesterday and the day before was a very tiring day for me. Sleep as early as 9.30pm. :lol:

All that I've done the last few days is only thinning the air intake on the sides of the Airwolf. I have to remove the parts that I glued earlier and will need to rebuild it.

Before sanding and thinning process.

After sanding and thinning process... looks better don't you think?

I have also thinned the air intake on top of the helicopter near the main rotor.

Next, I will need to fill this with epoxy before I can glue the gun bays on. This will also needs more dry-fitting and putty before it is completed.

Ok, that's the only progress that I have currently. Now I will show some assembly instruction errors that is present on the instruction sheet.

First is the side air-intake assembly.

Take a look at this area, the part number B50 and B46?

The part B50 should not be glued to the part B46. It should be assembled at part number B43 where the jet exhaust should be (it's on the left-hand-side part in this picture)

The second error is again is the placement of parts. Shown below is the overall picture. Note part number B36.

Let's have a closer look shall we.

The part number B36 should not be attached on top of the helicopter near the rotor as shown in the instruction. It should be placed on the nose of the helicopter right in the middle. Further reference from the Airwolf helicopter (or even the BELL 222A) will confirm this.

That's all for now. :D

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia

dremel
Snr Member
dremel
Snr Member

24 Jan 2008, 03:47 #9

Aku respect lah dgn W.I.P you bro....with alot of an informations....well done ,keep it coming ;)

mr b
Snr Member
mr b
Snr Member

29 Jan 2008, 00:46 #10

druid_99 @ Jan 24 2008, 11:03 AM wrote:
The only difference is that the Airwolf II has black (top) and red (underbelly and nose) colour scheme while the Airwolf has black (top) and white (underbelly). The Redwolf is also equipped with a laser weapon. I think the first debut was somewhere in the third season of the Airwolf series (which the Redwolf was also destroyed on the same episode).
Hi

Airwolf II also did not have the turbo and weapons housing ...it was just a standard 222 with the cabin windows blacked off

Nice progress on your build.....hope to see it completed....soon

rgds
mr b
Mike Romeo Bravo

Make Love not War ......Peace Dude .....

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

31 Jan 2008, 03:17 #11

Ok, more updates...

I'm tackling the instrument panels as the gap was big and the only option I have is to rebuild the instrument gauge.

The dashboard is cleaned and angled using nail file.

Let's work on the instrument panel now shall we? First I sand off the gauge face to level out the surface.

Then using two pieces of 0.4mm plastic sheet, I draw the outline and cut it to shape. The first layer is glued onto the sanded-off gauge face and the second one will need some cutting to be done.

Shown below is the first layer plastic sheet glued onto the gauge face.

Some holes is drilled onto the first layer to replicate the gauge and after that plus some detail added, shown below is the completed instrument panel. It's still a bit rough though.

When that is done, I tackle the front landing gear housing next. Since it is attached to the interior of the helicopter, it is a hassle to get it allign properly before assembling the body halves.

To make it simpler, I cut off the landing gear area and separate it from the interior. By doing this, i can put the landing gear housing first and tinker with the allignment of the interior without worrying that it will affect the allignment of the landing gear.

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

31 Jan 2008, 03:31 #12

Continuing with the updates.

The one thing that really bothers me is the missile launcher. It is a solid piece without any holes where the missile will be launched.

Using various sizes of drill bits, I drill the holes on the missile launcher.

When all three is already drilled, here's the outcome.

When that is done, I continue with dry fitting the interior. It is visible in this picture that the seat is too thick that the holes where the controller stick should be located is partially covered.

To solve this problem, I file off some parts on the rear of the seat so that it does not cover the holes. Lucky the back of the seat is thick so I don't have to worry about the seat getting too thin and flimsy. After filing, the hole is of an acceptable distance from the seat.

After all that, the parts are all painted and glued together. Notice the controller stick location and the seat location that has been modified.

Next... more problem... <_<

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

31 Jan 2008, 04:01 #13

Ok, as mentioned in the previous post, the interior is completed and will be attached to the body halves before gluing it together. Prior to that, some of the clear parts like the windows minus the front window has to be attached first.

Here's the problem... there's some gap on the windows on the lower nose of the chopper. I'm not sure whether to replace it using clear plastic sheet or cast it in resin.

Looking at the future that I might be building one more for myself, casting another looks like a good idea but I still need to think about it.

Another area is the window on top of the windshield. This will also needs to be dealt with.

That's all for now. If I have decide on the approach to tackle the windows, I'll update it in here. :D

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia

PoohBear
Snr Member
PoohBear
Snr Member

31 Jan 2008, 04:52 #14

This is a nice site for some reference:-
http://projects.airwolf.tv/ssmockup/preview

druid_99
Snr Member
druid_99
Snr Member

31 Jan 2008, 04:54 #15

PoohBear @ Jan 31 2008, 12:52 PM wrote: This is a nice site for some reference:-
http://projects.airwolf.tv/ssmockup/preview
Yup, it's a good site. I've been using them for reference purposes. Thanks for the link PoohBear. :D

Imran
Selangor, Malaysia