Moderators: ronr, carl, krwasson, resin-daddy, wisdonm, signmike, Chargincharlie6

SNRA 9 New Winner

Chargincharlie6
Advanced Member
Chargincharlie6
Advanced Member

July 24th, 2017, 12:43 am #1

SNRA 2017 Late Model Race #9
Norfolk 50, Norfolk Speedway, Norfolk, VA. ¼ mile medium banked dirt oval. July 23, 2017.
The SNRA field continued with the short dirt oval portion, or the dog days of the season, on Saturday evening. However, the weariness wore off a bit as the teams enjoyed this beautiful city on the eastern seaboard. Time trials this time hinted at a better night for the small block competitors with Marky Desjardins Jr. taking the pole and the incredible Homer Shockey just a tenth behind.
The only big block in the top 4, rookie Molly Wallace-Sunter did get an excellent start in the dash however, and was able to pip the aggressive Homer at the line, with Marky and Bulldog Carman just behind.
url=https://postimg.org/image/l57dt3dol/][/url] Fast Timer ol W9 Desjardins
Qualifying
1. Marky Desjardins Jr. Chevy
2. Homer Shockey Chevy
3. Molly Wallace-Sunter Plymouth
4. Bulldog Carman Chevy
5. Mark Desjardins Sr. Ford Galaxie
6. Michelle Desjardins Ford
7. Brian Conn Ford Galaxie
8. Dave Charlie Bayer Plymouth
9. Carl Brennecke Ford Fairlane
10. Carl Bugman Ross Plymouth
11. Skunky Chris Sunter Chevy
12. Wisdonm Mueller Merc. Marauder
13. Frank the Crank Burval Plymouth
14. Kim Johnson Chevy
15. Kevin Sassman Chevy
16. Chuck Buel Merc. Comet
Trophy Dash
1. Wallace-Sunter
2. Shockey
3. Desjardins Jr.
4. Carman
Heat racing demonstrated more back to front action than usual in spite of the relative lack of room on the track. Norfolk Speedway was well groomed and after some major changes, Sassman and Buel moved up to third in each of their heats. Carl Ross and Charlie came from mid-pack in heat one to take first and second respectively, and Frank jumped off the outside pole and nipped a fast moving Skunky, another mid packer at the checkers in Heat Two.
This left the starting order of the feature as follows:
Row 1
Carman
Wallace-Sunter
Row 2
Shockey
Desjardins Jr.
Row 3
Desjardins Sr.
Mrs. Desjardins
Row 4
Wisdonm
Johnson
Row 5
Brennecke
Conn
Row 6
Buel
Sassman
Row 7
Bayer
Sunter
Row 8
Ross
Burval
Kirk Cousins, Quarterback of the Washington Redskins waved the field off and Molly Wallace-Sunter, who just seemed to be dialed in, took her 413 Wedge powered Plymouth out to a modest lead which she increased slowly over the first 20 laps of the race. On lap 21, Charlie, who had moved up to fourth, succumbed to the grind when his exhaust dump separated itself from the header collector and began to dig into the track. He headed to the pits for some desperate repairs but 2 laps later Wisdonm and Frank the Crank tangled in the marbles to avoid a spinning Kim Johnson. Both sustained minor suspension and sheet metal damage but enough to prevent them from continuing. Charlie and his crew chief Titus Lafontaine exectuted a quick fix by the end of the caution and finished the race but laps down. Again, Kevin Sassman and Chuck Buel had moved forward in the pack, but one of the best was Mark Desjardins Sr. At the restart on lap 24, he split Homer and Marky, on the next lap he passed Bulldog for second who began to drop back as the track became dry-slick. Molly remained fast and nearly made it, but on lap 45 Mark Sr. caught the Plymouth in his Galaxie and was able to use the cushion and momentum to get past on lap 48, and he pulled away to the checkers 2 laps later for another surprising big block win. Carl Ross was the hard charger of the race and brought his wedge powered Plymouth all the way from the last row to third. Kevin Sasssman came up to fourth with Skunky the only small block car in the top 5, with a fine run to fifth from near the back. Just behind him was Chuck Buel’s fast Mercury. The rest of the Desjardins, Mrs. D and Marky Jr. were seventh and eighth with Homer passing Bulldog and winding up ninth. Just behind Bulldog was Carl Brennecke who simply was pinned back in the wrong lane of traffic all day with Brian Conn just behind him, having the same trouble in the Galaxie. Kim Johnson did not have a great day on the slick surface but did finish in the lead lap with Charlie the last car running, 4 laps down.
Next week will be another southern dirt oval but a bit longer, the 1/3 mile Iron Bowl in Birmingham, Alabama and after that, to Chicago’s flat paved quarter miler at Soldier Field.
Finishing Order, Norfolk 50
1. Mark Desjardins Sr. 19 64 Ford Galaxie
2. Molly Wallace-Sunter M80 62 Plymouth Fury
3. Carl da Bugman Ross 13 63 Plymouth Fury
4. Kevin Sassman 11 56 Chevy Bel Air
5. Skunky Chris Sunter 55 56 Chevy Bel Air
6. Chuck Buel 56 61 Mercury Comet
7. Michelle Mrs. D Desjardins 3M 56 Ford
8. Marky Desjardins Jr. 17 56 Chevy Bel Air
9. Homer Shockey 6 57 Chevy 210
10. Chris Bulldog Carman 7LF 55 Chevy Bel Air
11. Carl Brennecke #7ER 65 Ford Fairlane
12. Brian Conn 7 59 Ford Galaxie
13. Kim Johnson 61 Chevy Bel Air
14. Dave CC. Bayer 15C 64 Plymouth Belvedere
15. Wisdonm Mueller 15 64 Mercury Marauder
16. Frank the Crank Burval 3 64 Plymouth Belvedere

Heat racing demonstrated more back to front action than usual in spite of the relative lack of room on the track. Norfolk Speedway was well groomed and after some major changes, Sassman and Buel moved up to third in each of their heats. Carl Ross and Charlie came from mid-pack in heat one to take first and second respectively, and Frank jumped off the outside pole and nipped a fast moving Skunky, another mid packer at the checkers in Heat Two.
This left the starting order of the feature as follows:
Molly had her best day ever.
Hard Charger of the race, Da Bugman.
Row 1
Carman
Wallace-Sunter
Row 2
Shockey
Desjardins Jr.
Row 3
Desjardins Sr.
Mrs. Desjardins
Row 4
Wisdonm
Johnson
Row 5
Brennecke
Conn
Row 6
Buel
Sassman
Row 7
Bayer
Sunter
Row 8
Ross
Burval
Kirk Cousins, Quarterback of the Washington Redskins waved the field off and Molly Wallace-Sunter, who just seemed to be dialed in, took her 413 Wedge powered Plymouth out to a modest lead which she increased slowly over the first 20 laps of the race. On lap 21, Charlie, who had moved up to fourth, succumbed to the grind when his exhaust dump separated itself from the header collector and began to dig into the track. He headed to the pits for some desperate repairs but 2 laps later Wisdonm and Frank the Crank tangled in the marbles to avoid a spinning Kim Johnson. Both sustained minor suspension and sheet metal damage but enough to prevent them from continuing. Charlie and his crew chief Titus Lafontaine exectuted a quick fix by the end of the caution and finished the race but laps down. Again, Kevin Sassman and Chuck Buel had moved forward in the pack, but one of the best was Mark Desjardins Sr. At the restart on lap 24, he split Homer and Marky, on the next lap he passed Bulldog for second who began to drop back as the track became dry-slick. Molly remained fast and nearly made it, but on lap 45 Mark Sr. caught the Plymouth in his Galaxie and was able to use the cushion and momentum to get past on lap 48, and he pulled away to the checkers 2 laps later for another surprising big block win. Carl Ross was the hard charger of the race and brought his wedge powered Plymouth all the way from the last row to third. Kevin Sasssman came up to fourth with Skunky the only small block car in the top 5, with a fine run to fifth from near the back. Just behind him was Chuck Buel’s fast Mercury. The rest of the Desjardins, Mrs. D and Marky Jr. were seventh and eighth with Homer passing Bulldog and winding up ninth. Just behind Bulldog was Carl Brennecke who simply was pinned back in the wrong lane of traffic all day with Brian Conn just behind him, having the same trouble in the Galaxie. Kim Johnson did not have a great day on the slick surface but did finish in the lead lap with Charlie the last car running, 4 laps down.
Next week will be another southern dirt oval but a bit longer, the 1/3 mile Iron Bowl in Birmingham, Alabama and after that, to Chicago’s flat paved quarter miler at Soldier Field.
Well deserved feature win for SR.
Finishing Order, Norfolk 50
1. Mark Desjardins Sr. 19 64 Ford Galaxie
2. Molly Wallace-Sunter M80 62 Plymouth Fury
3. Carl da Bugman Ross 13 63 Plymouth Fury
4. Kevin Sassman 11 56 Chevy Bel Air
5. Skunky Chris Sunter 55 56 Chevy Bel Air
6. Chuck Buel 56 61 Mercury Comet
7. Michelle Mrs. D Desjardins 3M 56 Ford
8. Marky Desjardins Jr. 17 56 Chevy Bel Air
9. Homer Shockey 6 57 Chevy 210
10. Chris Bulldog Carman 7LF 55 Chevy Bel Air
11. Carl Brennecke #7ER 65 Ford Fairlane
12. Brian Conn 7 59 Ford Galaxie
13. Kim Johnson 61 Chevy Bel Air
14. Dave CC. Bayer 15C 64 Plymouth Belvedere
15. Wisdonm Mueller 15 64 Mercury Marauder
16. Frank the Crank Burval 3 64 Plymouth Belvedere
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

IAracefan
Advanced Member
IAracefan
Advanced Member

July 24th, 2017, 2:39 am #2

Congrats Mark, nice win. :)))
Our old chevy has been consistent so far this year, can't complain about that.

Thanks Dave for another fine race report. fbr
Kevin

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 24th, 2017, 2:59 am #3

Congratulations Mark Sr. on the win :))) ....working traffic and making passes was at a premium , figured the winner would come out of one of the first few rows as long as they stayed out of trouble and didn't get caught up in lapped traffic.
I must have put my gears in backward or upside down as I backed up a couple of spots from where I started....tried to fallow Homer but a couple of cars were between his back bumper and my front.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Hosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Advanced Member
Lefturns75
Advanced Member

July 24th, 2017, 4:17 am #4

Brian, maybe you need a T-shirt like the one that was given to me many, many years ago after I made a mistake before a feature event. It reads: "BIG GEAR ON TOP STUPID" I was not only made to wear the shirt for the next two Saturday nights, I saw it printed on the inside of the metal gear box lid each time I opened it the rest of the season.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

wisdonm
Advanced Member
wisdonm
Advanced Member

July 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm #5

Congrats Mark. fbr

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 24th, 2017, 11:08 pm #6

Lefturns75,Jul 23 2017 wrote: Brian, maybe you need a T-shirt like the one that was given to me many, many years ago after I made a mistake before a feature event. It reads: "BIG GEAR ON TOP STUPID" I was not only made to wear the shirt for the next two Saturday nights, I saw it printed on the inside of the metal gear box lid each time I opened it the rest of the season.
I've got to crawl under there and swap gears before next weekend... I'm pretty sure I got the right gear in the right place :unsure:

Kind of reminds me of a story where one of the local yokels dropped the fuel funnel in the pits....went to fuel up the car for the feature, dumped fuel from the jug into the funnel,when the fuel was near the top of the funnel ,they quit pouring. After about 7 or 8 laps into a 20 lap feature the car ups and quits running.
While packing up the stuff to leave , someone notices a chunk of mud up in side the narrow part of the funnel.

My luck with the Big Gear on Top t-shirt would be either I would put it on backwards or inside out. roll

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Hosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Throback
Advanced Member
Throback
Advanced Member

July 27th, 2017, 5:00 am #7

Way to go Mark! maddr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)