Moderators: ronr, carl, krwasson, resin-daddy

D I Y plastic soft drink bottle tires

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

February 19th, 2018, 2:24 am #1

This is the second part D.I.Y on how to use plastic soft drink bottle caps to create tires.

The plastic caps that are used on plastic soft drink bottles are a larger diameter than those used on plastic water bottles so a different holding device will need to be built. Here's what you will need...available at better hardware stores everywhere.
Hosted on Fotki

1ea. Black pipe 1" X 3/4" Reducer...I suggest Black pipe since it is less expensive than Galvanized.

1ea. Black pipe 3/4" X 1 1/2" Steel Pipe Nipple

2 ea. O-Rings 13mm. I.D, 18mm. O.D, 2.5mm. Thick

1 ea. K&S Metals Stock # 8144 21/32 x .014 x 12" Round Brass tube...a section of this will be placed in the center of the tires and will allow the bore bit to accurately make a hole in the cap....this is the same Round Brass tube as was used with the plastic water bottle caps....there is enough length with one of these tubes to build both versions of the holder.

How to assemble:

Hosted on Fotki
Screw the nipple into the reducer.

Hosted on Fotki

Insert a bottle cap into the open end of the reducer...there should be no lateral movement of the cap.
Insert the Round Brass tube into the open end of the nipple until it touches the bottle cap. Make a mark on the round Brass tube at the point where it enters into the nipple. Cut the tube at that point.

Unscrew the nipple from the reducer. Insert the round Brass tube into the nipple until both the end of the round brass tube and the nipple are flush.

Hosted on Fotki
Insert an O-ring on the flush end of the round brass tube so that its on the end of the tube as pictured...the O-rings are used to keep everything centered.

Hosted on Fotki
Insert an O-ring on the other end of the round brass tube until it is flush with the opening of the nipple.
CONTINUED.......

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Hosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

February 19th, 2018, 2:26 am #2

CONTINUED......

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Screw the nipple back on the reducer making sure that the portion with the exposed round brass tube is inside of the reducer.

Use the instructions as posted in the how to for plastic water bottle caps as far as how to make the tire itself...they are the same , only a different diameter of cap is used is all.

You may find other caps that will work in either size of the holders...just make sure that they are held in place correctly centered. At some point in time I might build an actual holder for the small plastic water bottle caps, since I now have a coffee can full, verses putting a small water bottle cap inside of a large water bottle cap.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave

March 4th, 2018, 5:28 pm #3

Brian,your the man! How much easier that must be compared to other way! Could have new business making and selling tire tool! wnw

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

March 8th, 2018, 12:09 am #4

Thanks Dave .z. .....yes, it is much easier and safer than simply carving a round hole in a cap with an X-Acto knife. I don't want any part of a business that is tied in with model building...model builders tend to be a fickle bunch , besides I think most would balk at the price that it cost me to construct the Black pipe version for plastic soft drink bottle caps.
What would thrill me to no end would be for someone to take the time and build one of these and do their own tires...for me its kind of like the Proverb of "Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki