Moderators: ronr, carl, themadmodeller, krwasson, resin-daddy

AMT '40 Ford Sedan Box Art Build - Completed 12-21

Bernard Kron
Advanced Member
Bernard Kron
Advanced Member

November 1st, 2015, 12:57 pm #1

The Australian Automotive Model Builders forum is honoring the 1940 Ford 75th Anniversary with a Group Assembly Scheme which is what they call a Community Build Project. This will be my entry for it. It’s my first ever box art build and will be the yellow custom from the side of the original release Trophy Series of the AMT ’40 Ford Tudor Sedan. I only have later releases and will have to substitute a few parts and have to do something about the scallop decals. But at least it’s otherwise relatively simple and gives me a chance to get it built in time for the December deadline.

Here’s the box top and the side panel:

And here’s a close up of the yellow custom version with the cool early style Dean Jeffries scallops. You’ll notice I circled the rear fender area. There are 2 scallops back there. If you compare the original decal sheet to the illustration and add up the number of decals, taking into account the rear deck decal on the sheet which wouldn’t be visible in a front ¾ view, there should be 11 of them. But on the sheet there are only 9! And to compound the problem the decals for the rear fender on the sheet don’t actually look like the ones in the illustration.

Here’s the yellow custom:

And here’s the original decal sheet as shown on the wonderful and invaluable Drastic Plastics Model Car Club instructions pages (see http://public.fotki.com/drasticplastics ... 40-ford-s/ ). I circled the offending decal.

Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Advanced Member
Bernard Kron
Advanced Member

November 1st, 2015, 12:58 pm #2

The rear fender decal is really quite large Here’s a picture from the inside of the instruction sheet showing a slightly different variation on the box art car – it’s a ’39, it’s dark colored, and, frankly, it sits way lower (no rake, too) than the kit offers. But, most importantly, the fender skirt scallop (in this version there’s only one) doesn’t look like the one on the sheet (it’s skinnier), and it’s much smaller.

The back of the decal sheet offers a clue as to what they intended, although I think it’s still too large, but at least it looks like the one on the sheet.

But, Box Art is Box Art, so yellow it will be, and with the double scallops on the rear fenders! So… since the original decals in the DPMCC scan were pretty funky anyway, I decided to reconstruct them using Photoshop. And, since I was doing that, I decided to create my own version of the two scallops on, and behind, the rear fender skirts. I think I did a pretty fair approximation. The challenge now will be to double check my work by making some proof decals and applying them to the actual body, and then find a custom decal house that can make some for me since they have a white border which I can’t print! Oh, and get it all done in time for the December build deadline.

Here’s my version of the kit scallops, including the fictitious double scallops on the rear fender:

Other than that I’m thinking of a pearlescent yellow paint job, in keeping with era (the box art is somewhat silent on the matter…). I have a set of the correct AMT style Moon discs but lack the original capped exhaust dumps that came in this release. I’ll probably use the somewhat larger set from the AMT ’49 Ford kit. I may also take some liberties with the very plain interior in the drawing, and perhaps finish the running boards and engine compartment in white, although the white ‘boards may prove to be too great a departure from the box art to survive.

The car will be lowered beyond the raked stance that the kit yields (the box art doesn’t appear to have any rake). And I’ll attempt hand painted whitewalls which would have been the practice at the time. Other than that it will be pretty much straight out of the box but with more modern attention to detail.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Advanced Member
krwasson
Advanced Member

November 1st, 2015, 2:40 pm #3

:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

carl
Advanced Member
carl
Advanced Member

November 1st, 2015, 3:46 pm #4

:))) rlr :)))

signmike
Advanced Member
signmike
Advanced Member

November 1st, 2015, 5:44 pm #5

Wow, nice. some memories for me. Can't wait to see you do your magic...
Michel Maheu

Bernard Kron
Advanced Member
Bernard Kron
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2015, 3:01 am #6

Thanks for the interest guys.

Thanks to the generosity of a member of the Model Cars Magazine Forum I was able to get a clean 600 dpi scan of an original decal sheet. The first image I had made it very hard to determine the white areas. In fact the sheet has white pinstripe and lettering decals which were completely invisible. By fiddling with the brightness and contrast on the high quality scan I got I was able to clearly see the white areas. Using those I re-drew the decal art and adjusted my rear fender and skirt decals to more closely match the details of the AMT original art. Here's a fake-o rendering of the original sheet with all 11 decals required to make the yellow custom on the box.

Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Advanced Member
Bernard Kron
Advanced Member

November 5th, 2015, 3:26 am #7

I think I’ve finalized the artwork. In order to test for fit and any detail changes I printed a set on plain paper with green substituted for the white borders and attached them to the bodywork. I was surprised on how good the fit turned out to be, especially for the skirt and rear fender scallops which are not on the original decal sheet but are on the box art drawing. I had though I might print some actual decals but it appears it will not be necessary. So, now to create proper vector-based master art and then off to the decal printers.

Here are a couple of (very rough) mockups showing the overall look. The scallop bits are held in place with cellophane tape.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Keep on buildin'

Another Rick
Advanced Member
Another Rick
Advanced Member

November 5th, 2015, 10:21 am #8

Going to be one really cool fat-fendered FORD. afs I like the work you have done with the decals.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Bernard Kron
Advanced Member
Bernard Kron
Advanced Member

November 6th, 2015, 2:56 am #9

Thanks Rick!

TRaK forum member John Goschke, a fine modeler who knows a thing or two about '40 Fords and scallop paint jobs, let me know that he thought the rear deck decal was actually supposed to be positioned inverted from the way that I have it positioned - on the lower splash pan pointing upward. A search of web images drew a blank and the instruction sheet doesn't show decal placement other than the box art and the little illustration shown above. So I checked the image sizing against the 1:1 scan and it was spot on. Next was to flip the test "decal" and place it in the lower position. The dimensions conform precisely to the width of the bottom pan and the contour of the trunk lid edges as they join up to the fenders. So, on the evidence it appears to be as John said. Below is a comparison of the two. Having set my "mind's eye" to the upper position it looked a little odd to me, but it's visually logical in that the scallops all work together to draw the eye toward the lower edges of the bodywork.

Keep on buildin'

Throback
Advanced Member
Throback
Advanced Member

November 6th, 2015, 3:59 am #10

Love your attention to details and the idea of a box art build is very very Cool!

:))) :))) :)))
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)