Moderators: ronr, carl, krwasson, resin-daddy

78 Mustang II Late Model WIP

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:35 am #1

Posted: Sep 1 2014, 07:57 PM

This build has a story behind it...and the story continues on....this is an on again/off again project that I am working on

It starts with this 1:32 scale Monogram Ford Mustang II funny car that I built some time in the mid 70's......
Hosted on Fotki

As what happened to many builds back then , I decided to convert it to a dirt late model 34-35 years ago.....needless to say my skills and abilities where quite lacking as far as building a dirt late model went.

As time marched on and my interest changed, that build along with a few others , where boxed up some time between the early to mid 80's.....a few years ago,(2008) while going thru some stuff at my folks home in the basement, I found the box with the Mustang II late model in it....only the body was salvageable.
Hosted on Fotki
I decided to build the car right this time since I had gained some skills and had the right tools to do so. I was up for a challenge ,so I decided to up size the car from a 1:32 scale to a 1:25 scale in small areas of the body while leaving other areas alone...such as the roof, which has a lowered appearance to it since that portion is still in 1:32 scale. The body width and length was increased. The wheel base was increased to a 1:1 scale 108" (108mm. 1:25 scale) I used a 1:25 Mustang II hatchback body as a reference.
Hosted on Fotki
I never was satisfied with the rebuild...I hurried in areas like the front and rear suspension as well as the body.....the build represents a dirt late model built locally to qausi N.D.R.A rules in 1980.
Hosted on Fotki
I have started an extreme make over with this project...no time constraints, no excuses..
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Hosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:40 am #2

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:41 am #3

Posted: Sep 3 2014, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys for your comments...always appreciated!

QUOTE (sentsat71 @ Sep 3 2014, 02:03 PM)
Looks great....

I don't know how the builders back in the 1960's up to the age of the personal computer and related cottage industries ever built the models that showed in the magazines of the time (Car Model and Model Car & Science)!!

...From what I have been made to understand from reading about the builders from back in the day is that they, for the most part, had the ability to see what the end result should/would look like in their head and built off of that. The small hand tools we use today have been around for many,many years, in fact, we have more unique tools at our disposal now than what was available 30-40 years ago.

I have seen some builds from the 60's...early 70's that where done to award winning quality.....lots of scratch building.....what was visible to the eye as seen sitting on a table top was incredible to say the least.

I would imagine it was more difficult and took longer to build a kit(not a glue bomb) back then than what it is now....I would also imagine that a builder took more time, on purpose, to build a top notch kit simply due to necessity.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:44 am #4

THE EXTREME MAKE OVER

This begins what will,hopefully, be the last time I have to do anything with this build. I like for my builds to be challenging, but not impossible. As I stated before ,I was never satisfied with the way it turned out. I didn't want to part this one out for other builds. I did the build previously pictured in the Summer of 2008...by the grace of God, my abilities have improved some what from where I was then. There are tools at my disposal that I did not have in 2008 that make this make over a lot easier than the re-build I did then....mainly a digital caliper and a magnetic base jig.
I still have issues with glue control and painting...I have learned some new techniques that I will be trying with this make over.
I am farther along than what these pictures show...I am just bringing everyone up to speed as to how things have progressed.
Hosted on Fotki
This is what I will be starting with on the make over.....multiple issues with this cage and chassis...first jig built frame that I did...needless to say that particular jig is a thing of the past due to design flaws that came up later on in the build.

Engine cross member is not centered properly, thus the engine and transmission did not align properly with the rear suspension.
The front frame stub needs replaced ahead of the engine cross member...design flaws of the jig caused issues with mounting steering components and coil over shock set up.
Both the front and rear suspension were lacking any real detail...this build is supposed to represent the 1980 racing season....I need that detail to show and be period correct.
The rear stub frame rails are too short in length, thus the rear suspension was off.
Hosted on Fotki
Removed all of the Black electrical tape that was suppose to be the Black plastic that was used back in the day. If you want the look of Black plastic, then use Black Plastic. As it turns out, this body is still too narrow ( remember this use to be a 1:32 scale that was up sized to a 1:25 scale) ...I now have a set of digital calipers that I did not have in 2008 , so now I use the AMT/ERTL 1977 Mustang II to get all of the proper measurements utilizing the digital calipers.

The Left half side of the roof has issues....more than likely due to all of hacking and whacking that has taken place on it.

Going to re-work the front clip...make it a little bit shorter and re-do the fender wheel well radius' and flares....bubbled fenders and hood
Hosted on Fotki
The only piece's from the build that does not need anything done to it is the engine and tranny....Clevor engine (Cleveland heads on a Windsor block according to the magnifying glass) ,Detail Master pre wired distributor and oil breathers, scratch built Moroso deep sump oil pan, scratch built Moroso valve covers (carved from BB Chevy resin pieces),solder headers,cast Moroso air cleaner cover,scratch built Holley intake, scratch built Lakewood bell housing, scratch built shifter linkages.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:47 am #5

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:52 am #6

....Do hope those buckets of popcorn are with free re-fills....
Hosted on Fotki
For what ever reason I failed to get a picture of the engine cross member replacement...this is as close as it gets...for the cross member I took 2 pieces of Evergreen Part#285 H-Column 5/32" (.156) (4.0 mm) and made it a "U" column (didn't have any "U" column laying around)...the center section of the cross member is flat material. The cross member is designed so that strut type lower control arms will fit into the channel that is the "U" column....similar to the Ford style of the 60's and 70's .
To help insure proper engine placement and alignment this time, the flat center section of the engine cross member also sits flat against the magnetic frame jig base like the center frame rails. Before, the engine cross member had an aprox 1.5 - 2mm gap, as I recall, between the bottom of the cross member and the flat surface which resulted in a misalignment....

Hosted on Fotki
Simple scratch built strut type lower control arms...these are longer than the kit offerings so that they can be used with a coil over shock front suspension....end portion is tapered to fit in the U channel of the engine cross member snug.

Hosted on Fotki
The old cross member had issues....this is how much of the interior I had to remove to accommodate the new and correct position of the bell housing,shifter linkages and tranny. The seat will have to be moved slightly outboard as well as the Left side halo portion of the roll cage. With the seat moved outward, the roll bar was directly above the seat and not to it's Left as it should be. As this picture shows I have a little wiggle room left.

Hosted on Fotki
With the engine/tranny combo in the correct position you can see the transmission tail shaft end piece (directly below the gauges)...the interior that is adjacent to the bell housing and shifter linkages has already been moved to the Left.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 12:56 am #7

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 1:00 am #8

Hosted on Fotki
Got the lower control arms mounted into the new cross member.....snug fit allows them to be moved around in the channel until they are aligned, then glued into place.

Hosted on Fotki
This is the point where I realized that there was an issue with mounting the coil over shocks and the front stub frame rail being too wide.....I blame the jig designer mm1 (mad at myself) .......everything marked in Black has to go.

Hosted on Fotki
I figured with the problems that I had encountered with attempting to mount the coil over shocks that I should check the rest of the front stub...sure enough, more design flaws....front cross member is wrong, it should drop down and not be flat so that the lower control arm struts mount properly.....front portion of the stub is too wide to properly mount a front steer set up....so the front portion of the stub got removed.

Hosted on Fotki
Used the magnetic base jig to rework the front stub.....wish I had this jig set up back when I first did this....mock up of the coil over shock and tubular upper A arm show no issues.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 1:03 am #9

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki

Brian Conn
Advanced Member
Brian Conn
Advanced Member

July 5th, 2017, 1:04 am #10

Posted: Sep 14 2014, 08:10 PM

...This post thread is sort of deceiving...at this present time I am a lot farther along than what it appears...I am feeding it to you a bit at a time so that it will make sense later on....but ,none the less you are right, I have encountered several obstacles to overcome along the way...most of which are "what was I thinking at the time" related.....and there are more to come, trust me.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Hosted on Fotki