Wilderness Park

3:23 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #1

I know it’s not something technical or hard or remote but it is really close to home for me. Drove over to the main parking area but the lower lot was full so we headed over to La Puerta to traverse the alternate route up Sycamore Canyon. From there it’s through Johnson’s Pasture and connect to CHWP down Burbank Canyon and finally back on the paved Thompson Creek trail. This way works out to the same mileage, just a bit less traffic for the first half of the hike.
With a little bit of sun it was a great day to be out. I saw these markers - one I’ve seen before, the other new to me but in the same general location.

This one I knew about although the ground has been eroding the last few years.

His one is unfamiliar, it’s about 50 feet from the other.

Pic just for attention, I like to go visit this lone oak tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours"
(Donald Shimoda)

Sean
Cucamonga Man
Sean
Cucamonga Man

11:32 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #2

The first disc is a reference mark for the second one, which is notable for being a traverse station. Typically you see triangulation stations in the Gabes.

4:04 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #3

If the first pic is a reference, would there have been one there prior to this? I ask since they are dated 20 years apart. I don’t think the arrow points to the other, I’ll have to go back and look.
And after reading the Wiki page I’ll have to go look for more markers along this traverse.

(Donald Shimoda)

Girl Hiker
Rock Scrambler
Girl Hiker
Rock Scrambler

2:30 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #4

What Sean said. He beat me to the punch!
"Never limit yourself to what you can do!"
Bart Yasso  
My Hero

Sean
Cucamonga Man
Sean
Cucamonga Man

4:02 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #5

JeffH wrote:If the first pic is a reference, would there have been one there prior to this? I ask since they are dated 20 years apart. I don’t think the arrow points to the other, I’ll have to go back and look.
It's the third reference mark ("RM 3") for that station. It should point toward the other mark. I suspect that it replaced a missing reference mark when surveyors returned to the site years later. There might be another reference mark (1 or 2) on the other side of the station. But these things have a tendency to grow legs and walk away, or get destroyed by firefighters building breaks.

tekewin
Resident Trailcam Guy
tekewin
Resident Trailcam Guy

9:49 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #6

I didn't know about Traverse Stations. Interesting. 

JeffH, do you have a link to a map of this park? Local parks are always a draw for the easy access.

2:15 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

This is an easy one - five mile loop or if you're ambitious it's a nine-mile round trip to Potato Mountain from the lower parking lot. As a kid my friends and I would be up here before it was a city park, hiking to Potato or going up to pee on the P that was on the mountainside (for Padua). Lots of folks refer to this place as the Claremont Loop.
http://www.ci.claremont.ca.us/governmen ... -park-chwp
By the way, email from the city last week said they are raising the parking rates once again, now something like $10 during peak hours in the morning. I have a resident permit for the lower lot but that fills up quickly. When that happens we'll park for free at the top of Indian Hill and go up via Sycamore Canyon to the fire roads.

Here is a standard loop:
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 7.12.32 PM.png

And here is the alternate loop from Indian Hill:
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 7.14.21 PM.png
Both are about the same distance and elevation gain - the one from Indian Hill is obviously much steeper at the beginning.
(Donald Shimoda)

tekewin
Resident Trailcam Guy
tekewin
Resident Trailcam Guy

2:24 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #8

Thanks, JeffH, will check it out. And $10 is too much for small park!

3:11 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #9

I knew there was a “10”in the email somewhere...

Single Use Four Hour Parking Permit
Saturdays and Sundays opening until 10:00 a.m., $7.00
All other days and times, $5.00

The 2018 Annual permits will remain valid in both lots and residential permits will remain valid in the Thompson Creek Trail parking lot.

Still too much for me but I’m spoiled by living close. The whole loop is 11 miles round trip from home, only 7 for the alternate.

(Donald Shimoda)