West Fork Water and Bears - 08-JUL-2018

Rescues, fires, weather, road closures, trail updates, water reports, etc.

West Fork Water and Bears - 08-JUL-2018

July 10th, 2018, 11:20 pm #1

Did a night ride Sat PM / Sun AM, Red Box->Rincon->Shortcut->Hwy 2->Red Box.  Observed the following:

1) West Fork is drying up.  Descending Rincon between Valley Forge CG and West Fork CG, the first 2 water crossings were a trickle and the 3rd crossing (closer to West Fork CG) was dry.  The Shortcut Road crossing was also dry.

2) I realize now that West Fork is a 'teddybear picnic'.  I've encountered bears (either seeing or hearing) on about 50% of my outings there this year.  Sun AM I heard a bear in a side canyon after starting the Shurtcut climb north from the river.  S/he was 'wrowr'ing at me, though didn't sound angry/distressed...just a generic 'wrowr'.

3) Another person on bicycle was descending Rincon westward from Newcomb Pass at about 2:00 AM Sun.  If that was one of our regulars on here...HOWDY!

July 11th, 2018, 2:27 am #2

You go riding up there at night? There wasn't even a moon this weekend! Could you even see anything outside your light beam?

July 11th, 2018, 5:27 am #3

Got surprisingly good night vision.  Also, city light + high clouds makes for decent ambient light.  And I'd rather be climbing Shortcut at 80*F than at 105*F.