Solar Chargers

May 29th, 2016, 11:00 pm #1

For those that use them, what solar charger/powerbanks are you using? Any good or bad experiences with them?

I just received my first "nice" solar charger. Looking at the box, I was a little surprised to read this on the box:

"The less you use the solar panel to recharge the battery, the longer the battery will last"

Looking online I found:
"RoamProofs product's battery life will decrease when the solar panel is used to recharge the device's battery. Extend the life of any internal battery by charging through a wall adapter using provided charging cables."

Is this the norm?

If you're interested in seeing specs and my photos of the unit I'm talking about, you can see them here:

Unboxing Photos: RoamProof SOS20K Portable Solar Powerbank & Package  

mattmaxon
Danger is my Middle Name
mattmaxon
Danger is my Middle Name

May 30th, 2016, 8:45 pm #2

Hiking long distance always moving during the day I don't a lot of time to layout a solar panel. I have hung the Anker 21w on my pack while moving.

I think just using a battery pack and power management is better
So many canyons...So little time
"You can't fix stupid" Ron White
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." James Madison
"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare." James Madison

June 1st, 2016, 7:49 pm #3

I use a GoalZero Switch 8 battery and Nomad 7 panel.  I charge the battery by a wall charger before I leave town.  I recharge my devices at night from the battery and charge the battery during the day from the solar charger.  I find that I don't need the charger for weekend trips using the battery and power management.  The solar charger works best for me in a base camp situation or when you have shorter days on the trail and time in camp to charge the battery.
Porque alpinismo? Para tocar el cielo!