why is there 5 divisions in CC and...

why is there 5 divisions in CC and...

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

August 4th, 2011, 1:58 am #1

Only 2 in Track? I know its all because of the SS having over like 1000 schools but someone got a good reason?

old coach
old coach

August 4th, 2011, 2:09 am #2

Try to come up with a way to have five divisions with their own CIF track meet; then select athletes for state.
(When your brain gets tired, google the southern section track schedule.)

George Green (still in Ghana)
George Green (still in Ghana)

August 4th, 2011, 7:51 am #3

Only 2 in Track? I know its all because of the SS having over like 1000 schools but someone got a good reason?
... Cross Country is mainly a team not an individual sport, whereas Track is really an individual sport that has team competition. The goal of the CIF meet in track is to advance the top 3 (plus those who make standards) to the state meet... The Division championships is actually a side issue that frankly is usually for only the top (larger) schools in each division. The CIF championships in CC, on the other hand, is to to advance the top teams per division to the state meet as well as determine division championships. You need 5 divisions in CC otherwise it wouldn't be fair to the smaller schools.

By the way, I see my "Board Guards" have been keeping this board clean while I'm gone... thanks guys.

-GG

buzz thom
buzz thom

August 4th, 2011, 3:51 pm #4

At the state level in cross country, there are five divisions, so our CIF will match those divisions by enrollment and even by race schedule. Not all sections do it this way; I know of one smaller CIF section that runs one race and then sorts out by results after the meet.

At the state level in track and field, there is one division. Sections that have their own separate division championships, such as the mammoth southern section, and the San Diego Section, have come up with their own constructs to increase local competition, and then add on a "masters meet" to qualify individuals and teams for the state meet. The Southern Section Masters is a separate meet altogether while the San Diego meet combines two meets in one.

Your question could just as well have been, "why two in track?" Not, "only two in track?"

old coach
old coach

August 5th, 2011, 1:51 am #5

Here's this year's Texas State meet schedule - some long days!
http://www.uiltexas.org/track-field/state/

Danny P.
Danny P.

August 5th, 2011, 7:30 pm #6

Thats a lot of 3200s....2 hours on friday morning ouch. Glad cali runs just a final.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 10th, 2012, 4:31 am #7

Zzzzz

Confirmation of reply: