Some observations from Mt. Carmel

Some observations from Mt. Carmel

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 4th, 2013, 3:32 am #1

I always enjoy the first meet, even though performances are not really up to the standards they'll reach later on. Its the start of track, which is a great thing in my book.

Anyway, here are a few observations from my attendance at Mt. Carmel. Just to apologize--I didn't see any of the throws. Also, I realize, there were some good performances at the Tiger meet as well, and i don't want to slight those, but I'll just write about what I saw:

1. As usual at Mt. Carmel, the meet was well run. The parents there are always incredibly hard working. Thank goodness my kids don't go to Mt.Carmel--I couldn't keep up! But thanks also to all the coaches I noticed working the track, timing and long jump pits. We parents appreciate the extra labor in keeping the meet on time!

2. In general the boys seem a little ahead of the girls in their early season fitness. Nicolette Sorenson of Torrey Pines had a great meet, with two fast relay legs--about 2:18 in the 4 X800 and a 5:10 1600 in the DMR (I think--I don't know her exact times for sure) but otherwise I didn't see any exceptional performances from the girls. I expect those in later meets.

3. My favorite race by far was the last heat of the boys 800, where Alex Gronotte of Westview led almost from the beginning, running hard, and he looked like he was going to hang on, when Alex Grigoriev came from pretty far behind to pass him on the last turn. Grigoriev looked great in his finish, running around a 1:57. I had always associated him with the 400, but after watching him yesterday, I think the 800 is definitely his event--I'll look forward to seeing what he can do later in the season.

4. In the field events that I did see, I noticed several boys doing the pole vault/high jump double. Future decathletes perhaps? The group included California state multi-event champion Grant Zebold (12'6"/5'7") and Scott Snow(11'6"/ 5'9") --given his distance running ability, I wonder how he is in hurdles and the throws? . But the guy I was impressed with was Poway's Charlie Bush--only minutes after just missing at 14'06" in the pole vault (his 14'00 finished 3rd) he then cleared 6' 3" to win the high jump. Wonder how he is at the sprints, mile, discus and javelin?

I'm sure there were other highlights I missed. Follow up on my post to let me know!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 4th, 2013, 6:28 am #2

Samantha stab of scripps went 18 feet in her Long jump. She didn't compete at cif I don't think but jumped 18'8 as a freshmen.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 5th, 2013, 3:22 pm #3

I always enjoy the first meet, even though performances are not really up to the standards they'll reach later on. Its the start of track, which is a great thing in my book.

Anyway, here are a few observations from my attendance at Mt. Carmel. Just to apologize--I didn't see any of the throws. Also, I realize, there were some good performances at the Tiger meet as well, and i don't want to slight those, but I'll just write about what I saw:

1. As usual at Mt. Carmel, the meet was well run. The parents there are always incredibly hard working. Thank goodness my kids don't go to Mt.Carmel--I couldn't keep up! But thanks also to all the coaches I noticed working the track, timing and long jump pits. We parents appreciate the extra labor in keeping the meet on time!

2. In general the boys seem a little ahead of the girls in their early season fitness. Nicolette Sorenson of Torrey Pines had a great meet, with two fast relay legs--about 2:18 in the 4 X800 and a 5:10 1600 in the DMR (I think--I don't know her exact times for sure) but otherwise I didn't see any exceptional performances from the girls. I expect those in later meets.

3. My favorite race by far was the last heat of the boys 800, where Alex Gronotte of Westview led almost from the beginning, running hard, and he looked like he was going to hang on, when Alex Grigoriev came from pretty far behind to pass him on the last turn. Grigoriev looked great in his finish, running around a 1:57. I had always associated him with the 400, but after watching him yesterday, I think the 800 is definitely his event--I'll look forward to seeing what he can do later in the season.

4. In the field events that I did see, I noticed several boys doing the pole vault/high jump double. Future decathletes perhaps? The group included California state multi-event champion Grant Zebold (12'6"/5'7") and Scott Snow(11'6"/ 5'9") --given his distance running ability, I wonder how he is in hurdles and the throws? . But the guy I was impressed with was Poway's Charlie Bush--only minutes after just missing at 14'06" in the pole vault (his 14'00 finished 3rd) he then cleared 6' 3" to win the high jump. Wonder how he is at the sprints, mile, discus and javelin?

I'm sure there were other highlights I missed. Follow up on my post to let me know!
I find it interesting that you only thought Nicolette had note worthy performances. Others that should be noted are as follows.
Anne Charles: 2:16 split on 4x800 and a 5:14 1600 to follow.
Delaney Miller: 2:17 800
Sabrina Seay: 2:21 split in 4x800 and 5:11 split in DMR.
Bryn Rohner: 5:14 in 1600.
Myself and a few others were timing all the top girls who were there.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 6th, 2013, 7:11 pm #4

I found it interesting that you found that interesting.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 6th, 2013, 8:46 pm #5

Well then, that must be interesting!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 6th, 2013, 10:32 pm #6

I find it interesting that you only thought Nicolette had note worthy performances. Others that should be noted are as follows.
Anne Charles: 2:16 split on 4x800 and a 5:14 1600 to follow.
Delaney Miller: 2:17 800
Sabrina Seay: 2:21 split in 4x800 and 5:11 split in DMR.
Bryn Rohner: 5:14 in 1600.
Myself and a few others were timing all the top girls who were there.
As the original poster, I just wanted to say that I wasn't trying to disrespect the young ladies mentioned--for one thing, I didn't have all the splits,so thanks for those. Also I think all those times are going to drop dramatically, so in later meets their outstanding performances will be noted by all. As far as the post noting Samantha Staab of Scripps Ranch, I didn't see her or her results listed at Mt. Carmel. But I did see that she jumped 18 4 as a freshman in last years Eastern league finals, so she is definitely someone to watch.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 7th, 2013, 4:39 am #7

I was the official at the pit she jumped 18 even her mark was not posted on athletic.ney due to it being such a high mark they need to verify it... Wind was good for the big jumps, on both sides. San Diego jumps are getting stronger and with successful youth programs will continue to strive as well as other events. Only problem is club sports I know every coach has that stud athlete that happens to be a club soccer player or club volleyball. I think I heard that she missed cif last year for a soccer tournament but I'm not for sure. Jalen spencer from sultana is the state leader in the triple and for a couple mins was the state leader in the long.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 7th, 2013, 5:38 am #8

INTERESTING! VERY INTERESTING!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 7th, 2013, 7:40 am #9

As the original poster, I just wanted to say that I wasn't trying to disrespect the young ladies mentioned--for one thing, I didn't have all the splits,so thanks for those. Also I think all those times are going to drop dramatically, so in later meets their outstanding performances will be noted by all. As far as the post noting Samantha Staab of Scripps Ranch, I didn't see her or her results listed at Mt. Carmel. But I did see that she jumped 18 4 as a freshman in last years Eastern league finals, so she is definitely someone to watch.
Provided she chooses to compete in track and field as opposed to her club soccer team.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 7th, 2013, 7:45 am #10

I was the official at the pit she jumped 18 even her mark was not posted on athletic.ney due to it being such a high mark they need to verify it... Wind was good for the big jumps, on both sides. San Diego jumps are getting stronger and with successful youth programs will continue to strive as well as other events. Only problem is club sports I know every coach has that stud athlete that happens to be a club soccer player or club volleyball. I think I heard that she missed cif last year for a soccer tournament but I'm not for sure. Jalen spencer from sultana is the state leader in the triple and for a couple mins was the state leader in the long.
That is correct. She did play in a club soccer game instead of competing in the CIF meet. Unfortunately, she cost an Eastern League athlete the opportunity to compete at the CIF meet by not dropping out of the long jump the day of the Eastern League finals.

Confirmation of reply: