SoCal notes for the girls teams...

SoCal notes for the girls teams...

pretty amazing stuff
pretty amazing stuff

October 18th, 2008, 9:38 pm #1

Well, what a day it turned out to be for the SoCal meet!

Torrey Pines girls posted their top two runners under 14!! They appeared to have a few key people not present - and posted a 1 point win over Escondido's girls. Yes! Esco is no longer a "sleeper" team! And their results match up pretty well against RBV (based on dual results). LCC had two really fast runners yet their back squad still not enough to match up with Esco's performance. RB didn't run their varsity, and Poway not present. Vista had a really fast girl but appeared to have some absentees as well. So it appears that the D1 girls race come CIF may not be a three team only domination!

I didn't look at the D2 girls results - but I think Ramona's female squad edged Westview (anyone absent for them?). So looks like Ramona deserves some recognition in the rankings. Mt.Carmel wasn't there so the girls D2 race will be a exciting as well at CIF!

Many girls under 15 minutes today! Great efforts! Will be interesting to compare today's results with the NCC league meets hosted at Guajome in a month!

Congrats to the girls who competed today! Can't wait to see the results posted here

Vista Coach ( Ed Matheus)
Vista Coach ( Ed Matheus)

October 18th, 2008, 11:08 pm #2

It was a good day of racing. The course was different and we don't know how that affected the times. When I used GoogleEarth the course measured just about the same. Good day for all runners. El Camino did a great job putting on the meet.

thanks
thanks

October 18th, 2008, 11:39 pm #3

I was thinking about checking google earth as well. How did you do it? By plotting and the automeasure thing comes up? I actually was using it to measure the course earlier in the week - but I don't think I was very accurate - and lost interest pretty quickly.

May I suggest the same course be used for leagues if for no other good reason than season comparisons?

I'm also working on year to year comparisons -- I did a very brief look into 2001, 2004, this year (before George just posted the varsity results) and it looks like the girls competition and results have dramatically improved over the years...my initial thoughts are that flipping the order (#1's first in the cool morning) has something to do with this...others thoughts???

I haven't looked at the boys yet...I also noticed at the best marks posted at the meet today - am I way off in thinking that AJ had gone under 15? The best mark was 15:18 by him in 04.

btw - some years (I think 02, 03) the result link goes to some odd website - any input on this? If not I'm thinking to check dyestat...

KNOWS MEET MANAGMENT
KNOWS MEET MANAGMENT

October 19th, 2008, 12:57 am #4

THE COURSE WAS 85 METERS SHORT OF ANYTHING RUN THIS YEAR ACCORINDING TO MEET MANAGMENT. iT WAS WHEELED OFF ON FIRDAY.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

October 19th, 2008, 1:11 am #5

I was thinking about checking google earth as well. How did you do it? By plotting and the automeasure thing comes up? I actually was using it to measure the course earlier in the week - but I don't think I was very accurate - and lost interest pretty quickly.

May I suggest the same course be used for leagues if for no other good reason than season comparisons?

I'm also working on year to year comparisons -- I did a very brief look into 2001, 2004, this year (before George just posted the varsity results) and it looks like the girls competition and results have dramatically improved over the years...my initial thoughts are that flipping the order (#1's first in the cool morning) has something to do with this...others thoughts???

I haven't looked at the boys yet...I also noticed at the best marks posted at the meet today - am I way off in thinking that AJ had gone under 15? The best mark was 15:18 by him in 04.

btw - some years (I think 02, 03) the result link goes to some odd website - any input on this? If not I'm thinking to check dyestat...
well, judging by the significant increase in performances, the course change seems to have allowed a much more racable course. Some female athletes really stepped up from their SunDevil performances: Cruz (Vista), Garcia (Fallbrook), Ingrande & Souza (LCC). Plus Esco's squad with Westview & Ramona...With certain absences (SAT?, no RBV, RB, PO, MC, ...) plus the course change and good fortunate weather, its hard to do some comparisons for ranking/dope purposes. I tried plugging in certain absent athletes, but too many variables made the stats too challenging considering all the different variables of weather, course adjustment, athletes stepping up...

So I hope these top teams will all be at MtSAC!

Again - the simple course adjustment appears to have a big change...I'm thinking that the "squiqly" had a significant elevation increase combined with the sharp turns then sharp elevation decrease. The "new" course adjustment seems to allow better racing coming down the hill with a more gentle elevation decrease despite the added sharp turn (the athletes racing more than controlling a downhill pace??).

Just puttin in my two cents again to keep the adjustment the same for leagues. The athletes will be able to compare themselves - as well as coaches with their teams...

Congrats to EC for the meet and the athletes that competed!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

October 19th, 2008, 1:13 am #6

I was typing my post and after I posted - I saw the note about 85m shorter...

so much for me and my elevation estimations, ... go figure

Vista Coach (Ed Matheus)
Vista Coach (Ed Matheus)

October 19th, 2008, 2:19 am #7

The NCC League Meet will not be held at Guajome this year. It will be held at Kit Carson.
If you run the regular course there is one more short hill.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

October 19th, 2008, 3:08 am #8

bummer about not being back to Guajome - NCC was at Kit last year - why back to it again? conflicts with Guajome?

anyway, Chargers are away manana so I'll have some time - I'll work on "converting" the marks using the 85m difference...as I mentioned in the subj line - 85m @ 6:00pace is worth 19secs, but of course we can't just add 19 secs to everyone b/c paces are all different...I don't imagine I'll do each individual pace, but I'll round up/down every 10 secs of pace...

Lastly - meet management - what was the distance entered in the computer to compute the mile paces listed in the results? (ok - I'm not arguing how long guajome is!!!! just for statistics sake of the conversions)

Anonymouse
Anonymouse

October 19th, 2008, 5:49 am #9

Well, what a day it turned out to be for the SoCal meet!

Torrey Pines girls posted their top two runners under 14!! They appeared to have a few key people not present - and posted a 1 point win over Escondido's girls. Yes! Esco is no longer a "sleeper" team! And their results match up pretty well against RBV (based on dual results). LCC had two really fast runners yet their back squad still not enough to match up with Esco's performance. RB didn't run their varsity, and Poway not present. Vista had a really fast girl but appeared to have some absentees as well. So it appears that the D1 girls race come CIF may not be a three team only domination!

I didn't look at the D2 girls results - but I think Ramona's female squad edged Westview (anyone absent for them?). So looks like Ramona deserves some recognition in the rankings. Mt.Carmel wasn't there so the girls D2 race will be a exciting as well at CIF!

Many girls under 15 minutes today! Great efforts! Will be interesting to compare today's results with the NCC league meets hosted at Guajome in a month!

Congrats to the girls who competed today! Can't wait to see the results posted here
westview was missing two of their top runners due to sickness and injuries. great job to everyone who ran!

anony-mouse
anony-mouse

October 19th, 2008, 8:35 am #10

come up with your own nick name

Confirmation of reply: