San Diego Indoor Track

San Diego Indoor Track

Hoagie
Hoagie

February 21st, 2013, 2:28 am #1

If you look at the all time US performance list in the 2 mile a lot of them were run in San Diego. Where is/was this track?

Dennis McClanahan
Dennis McClanahan

February 21st, 2013, 2:37 am #2

The meet was run in the SD Sports Arena. Part of the plywood track is now being used as part of the roof repair on that arena.

JC
JC

February 21st, 2013, 4:32 pm #3

My cousin is the maintenance manager at the Valley View Sports Arena and he says they got rid of the track many years ago. I asked him what came of it and it was cut and used under the ice for hockey, and it eventually wasn't taken care of and thrown out. Shame that meet died, would of been nice to have an actual indoor facility for the athletes of this generation to run on.

BC
BC

February 21st, 2013, 5:21 pm #4

It's too bad that in all of San Diego County, with many schools of 3000 students or more, there's no indoor facility. I went to school in the boondocks of Arizona and there as a school with only 600 kids that managed to build a dome for football that had an indoor track. That was a new experience, getting used to the sharper turns and running 16 laps for the 3200. Of course, that town would often get several feet of snow in the winter so a dome made sense.

Confirmation of reply: