Jasmine Gibbs' 20-11 Long Jump...

Jasmine Gibbs' 20-11 Long Jump...

Cameron Gary
Cameron Gary

May 14th, 2012, 3:21 am #1

I downloaded and Flash converted the video provided by Mishe Scott's parents of the disputed Jasmine Gibbs 20-11 long jump. I viewed it several times, including frame-by-frame.

For the sake of those who don't know me, I am USATF Level 2 certified in the Jumps, Sprints, Hurdles and Relays. I also coached (and competed) at the high school and collegiate levels.

In my opinion, Jasmine Gibbs' long jump was a clean jump. I saw no evidence of a "drag" by the hand, foot, or any other part of her body. I also saw that the pit crew measured the jump from the closest mark in the sand (her heels, although her "slide in" landing technique is deceptive to some), which is consistent with the rules. She also exited the pit appropriately.

I am not going to comment on her technique, but we ALL know she has more than enough speed and she is tall enough to be an effective horizontal jumper. I will say it is the first time I have ever seen her get the impulse/lift off the board as seen in this video. Thus, more height. Combined with her above-average speed, it will lead to an above-average result.

Lastly, I believe the jump was measured correctly. If you look at the alignment of the takeoff board to the yard marks on the football field, you will see the board somewhere near the 48 - 49 yard line. She landed somewhere near the 41 - 42 yard line, or seven yards (21 feet away).

Again, it appears to be a good jump. Thank GOD for video! And a big CONGRATULATIONS for Jasmine!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 14th, 2012, 4:25 am #2

So it was a lucky jump, lets hope we see it again.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 14th, 2012, 5:26 am #3

Yeah all that speed coming down the runway and the prep to hit the board and the great angle and position in flight was just luck. I guess anyone could be that lucky. "The harder I work, the luckier I get." Don't try to cheapen the accomplishment.

Cameron Gary
Cameron Gary

May 14th, 2012, 1:25 pm #4

So it was a lucky jump, lets hope we see it again.
There is video. There were PLENTY of on scene witnesses to the jump and the measurement. I highly doubt there was a conspiracy to fabricate the mark.

An effort like that from a high school (or any) girl takes a tremendous amount of speed and power. There isn't that much luck in the world. That is why it has NEVER been done before in this county (and rarely in the country) by any high school girl. She may be able to duplicate it. Maybe not. I hope she does. As one person posted, the real tragedy is that there wasn't a wind gauge.

However, she did it once. And there is proof.

She doesn't have to do it again.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 14th, 2012, 5:31 pm #5

You yourself stated that a jump of this magnitude much less any high school girl in the 19 foot range was unheard of. I recall seeing you state that a 3 inch improvement over a PR from last year in the first meet of the season was next to impossible.

I even recall multiple comments from you that her "technique" is less than desireable. She made the jump and congratulations to her, but in order for her to shut down the haters, she's going need to be consistent and do it again. Her PR of 19'9 was from 2010 and she's struggled to remain consistent in the 19's since then. It was a lucky jump as I'm sure Shadonna Hunter from Paramount with the 20'10" was a lucky jump. Her marks are even more sporatic then Jasmines.

In looking at what is listed on athletic.net, we have six high school girls across the country over 20 feet, with quite a few just under it. It's not impossible, but I agree with you, it's a difficult thing to do. It has made girls jumps a very interesting topic this year.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 14th, 2012, 6:00 pm #6

as most of San Diego uses it...only a handful of others outside of san diego use it...None of Florida hardly uses it and they are just as great in the sprints and jumps as Texas and California. Use Dyestat.com as everyone uses this and Track and Field News as well...

Cameron Gary
Cameron Gary

May 14th, 2012, 6:06 pm #7

You yourself stated that a jump of this magnitude much less any high school girl in the 19 foot range was unheard of. I recall seeing you state that a 3 inch improvement over a PR from last year in the first meet of the season was next to impossible.

I even recall multiple comments from you that her "technique" is less than desireable. She made the jump and congratulations to her, but in order for her to shut down the haters, she's going need to be consistent and do it again. Her PR of 19'9 was from 2010 and she's struggled to remain consistent in the 19's since then. It was a lucky jump as I'm sure Shadonna Hunter from Paramount with the 20'10" was a lucky jump. Her marks are even more sporatic then Jasmines.

In looking at what is listed on athletic.net, we have six high school girls across the country over 20 feet, with quite a few just under it. It's not impossible, but I agree with you, it's a difficult thing to do. It has made girls jumps a very interesting topic this year.
Firstly, I NEVER said a high school 19 foot jump was "unheard of". That would be ridiculous. Firstly because I coached the last 19-footer (Jackae Bridges) before Gibbs.

What I DID say was that jumping 19 feet (much less 20) was very difficult and highly unusual for high school girl. When Jackae jumped 19 feet in 2009, I believe she was the first 19-footer we had (in this county) in about six years. So the facts bear that out.

Gibbs is does not exhibit the "gold standard" of long jumping technique. That is no secret. But neither did Bob Beamon. And he was notorious for his inconsistency. Current World Record holder Mike Powell had some technical "errors" in his jump also. However, the fact remains that they jumped as far as they did in spite of these flaws. Maybe the altitude helped in Beamon's case (however, no one else jumped 29, or even 28 feet that day). But the fact remains that they did more things right than wrong. That is why they are/were the World Record holders...20 years plus in both cases...

I take exception with the "luck" assertion. Luck implies that ANY kid could (conceivably) do it. But that certainly is NOT the case. Most (in fact almost ALL) girls her age CAN'T do it - even on their best/luckiest day. The speed and power necessary for this type of an effort precludes luck. I am a pretty strong man. I can throw a baseball pretty well. But the fact remains that I can't throw one 100 mph. I simply lack the requisite physical attributes. No amount of "luck" will change that.

Perhaps Jasmine Gibbs will never jump that far again. I am not her coach. Nor do I know her personally. But I WILL give credit where it is due.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 14th, 2012, 6:23 pm #8

as most of San Diego uses it...only a handful of others outside of san diego use it...None of Florida hardly uses it and they are just as great in the sprints and jumps as Texas and California. Use Dyestat.com as everyone uses this and Track and Field News as well...
Given this information we probably have several more high school girla over 20 feet.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 14th, 2012, 6:24 pm #9

Firstly, I NEVER said a high school 19 foot jump was "unheard of". That would be ridiculous. Firstly because I coached the last 19-footer (Jackae Bridges) before Gibbs.

What I DID say was that jumping 19 feet (much less 20) was very difficult and highly unusual for high school girl. When Jackae jumped 19 feet in 2009, I believe she was the first 19-footer we had (in this county) in about six years. So the facts bear that out.

Gibbs is does not exhibit the "gold standard" of long jumping technique. That is no secret. But neither did Bob Beamon. And he was notorious for his inconsistency. Current World Record holder Mike Powell had some technical "errors" in his jump also. However, the fact remains that they jumped as far as they did in spite of these flaws. Maybe the altitude helped in Beamon's case (however, no one else jumped 29, or even 28 feet that day). But the fact remains that they did more things right than wrong. That is why they are/were the World Record holders...20 years plus in both cases...

I take exception with the "luck" assertion. Luck implies that ANY kid could (conceivably) do it. But that certainly is NOT the case. Most (in fact almost ALL) girls her age CAN'T do it - even on their best/luckiest day. The speed and power necessary for this type of an effort precludes luck. I am a pretty strong man. I can throw a baseball pretty well. But the fact remains that I can't throw one 100 mph. I simply lack the requisite physical attributes. No amount of "luck" will change that.

Perhaps Jasmine Gibbs will never jump that far again. I am not her coach. Nor do I know her personally. But I WILL give credit where it is due.
Exciting times nonetheless.

Jumper Fan
Jumper Fan

May 14th, 2012, 7:23 pm #10

I don't know why you keep saying it was a lucky jump because in most cases these kids are not being coached by professional jump coaches so they won't have the best technical skills and most of them are jumping off of natural ability. And to base their consistency off of athletic.net is insane because we all know that in most cases these kids only jumping enough to get points for the team so there is no need to try to PR at every dual meet. And Jasmine has been very consistent in her marks from what I've seen in the meets she competed in she's was hitting high 18's and low 19's from behind the board. So instead of wasting time being negative be happy that San Diego will be represented well with fine jump marks across the Nation.

Confirmation of reply: