Got a question

Got a question

JC
JC

June 26th, 2012, 4:58 am #1

How does qualifying for the Olympics work? If you hit the Olympic A standard during the year do you get a ticket to London, do the top 3 go from trials even if they do not hit the standard?

Cameron Gary
Cameron Gary

June 26th, 2012, 3:51 pm #2

You have to have met the "A" standard during a specified qualification period (usually it is a year or so prior to the Games). That is why you hear about qualifiers who may have already met the standard but not necessarily so at the Trials. I don't believe you are specifically required to make the standard at the Trials. The best combo (in this country) is to have made the standard during the qualifying period AND finished in the top three at the Trials. That should assure one a spot on the team.

If I missed anything, someone please update me so I am not putting out incorrect info...

Stat Bozo
Stat Bozo

June 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm #3

JC
JC

June 26th, 2012, 5:33 pm #4

be unnecessary? They both hit the A standard as did the 5th, 6th and 7th place.

Stat Bozo
Stat Bozo

June 26th, 2012, 5:35 pm #5

Max 3 per event

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 26th, 2012, 8:19 pm #6

be unnecessary? They both hit the A standard as did the 5th, 6th and 7th place.
or the whole 1500m field would be a couple american and the rest African runners from Kenya, Ethiopia and other amazing runners from that area

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 27th, 2012, 2:37 am #7

How does qualifying for the Olympics work? If you hit the Olympic A standard during the year do you get a ticket to London, do the top 3 go from trials even if they do not hit the standard?
You must hit "A" standard sometime during the qualifying year then be in the top 3 at Trails. For instance if in your country (eg any other country) your top 3 do not make "A" standard they cannot be in the Olympics regardless of time or height.

Stat Bozo
Stat Bozo

June 27th, 2012, 3:43 am #8

From IAAF

NOCs may enter up to three athletes for each event on the athletics program, provided they have achieved the A standard. In addition they can enter one reserve athlete for the same event provided he/she has also achieved the A standard.
NOCs may enter one athlete for each event on the athletics program if he/she has achieved at least the B standard. In addition they can enter one reserve athlete for the same event provided he/she has also achieved at least the B standard.

example for U.S.A.
W TJ no "A" qualifiers so U.S. only sending 1 athlete
She did not hit the "B" at trials , but had reached it during qualifying period

Confirmation of reply: