Goodger scratchs???

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 20th, 2010, 4:28 am #1

first Fahy now Goodger whats going on??? no one wants to double anymore?

GoodCoaches
GoodCoaches

May 20th, 2010, 5:09 am #2

Mac set the tone. Get to state and do well! It's better to do one well than two mediocre!

buzz thom
buzz thom

May 20th, 2010, 3:20 pm #3

Did anybody see the times at Escondido Invite? Brewer comes back from the 1600 and runs 9:33 in the 3200. Carpowich comes back in the 800 and runs 2:00. Fahy doesn't double at all, but comes back on Saturday to anchor the boys soph DMR in 10:59 at the frosh soph meet. Goodger is smart to focus on one race in the last weeks.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 20th, 2010, 5:06 pm #4

Brewer did go 4:11 and 9:24 at league finals. And I believe Carpowich went 4:14 and 1:55 as well as Wood going 4:18 and 9:23. Should they double?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 20th, 2010, 5:32 pm #5

Fahy is a sophomore - he has plenty of time for doubling! Give the kid a break.

Chris Ruff
Chris Ruff

May 20th, 2010, 5:52 pm #6

Actually, in my opinion, the fact that many of our top athletes are NOT doubling is a reflection of how strong our section actually is in the distance events. In years past there have been individuals who were just so dominant at our local SD level that they could outclass everyone in various combinations of the distance races at CIF finals, this is no longer the case. Gone are the days where an elite runner could run 4:10 or so in the 1600 and "toy" with everyone in the 3200 or 800. I for one think this is a good sign for our local distance prowess. Perhaps San Diego is beginning to close the gap on the HUGE Southern Section in depth, rather than just in a consistent 1 or 2 elite competitors at the state level in the distances.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 20th, 2010, 6:01 pm #7

it's possible to over race. i think it's smart for these guys to focus on one event as opposed to raping bitches in two or even three. we race a lot in high school as it is, and a lot of athletes pay for it with injury and what not.

buzz thom
buzz thom

May 20th, 2010, 8:03 pm #8

There's lots of depth, quality depth. Sure, Brewer doubled back in 9:24 at league, but he would have to be faster than that to get into the top three and qualify for state. If he's just doubling for team points, that's something else, but wouldn't it be better for him to save his legs for state?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 21st, 2010, 8:39 am #9

By not doubling, the host of juniors (Carpowich, Brewer, Urie) give themselves a realistic shot at a state final and a state medal. Even moreso, by not doubling, the sophomores (especially Fahy) give themselves a shot at making themselves into a statewide recognizable name and beginning to draw interests from college coaches/scouts. Lastly, for the seniors (Goodger, Blumberg), not doubling would mean a better chance of assuring themselves of at least one last state birth/place. However, Marx seems to be going for it (1600 and 3200), and you've got to at least cheer for someone who goes for it. Ultimately, I think Ruff said it best when he identified the increasing competitiveness of the SDS. 4 years ago Acosta cruised to wins in both 16 and 32 (and probably could've sandwiched an 800 state birth in between -- his early season PR was ahead of the CIF winning time)...there were about 3 boys under 920 and about 5 under 420. This year there are about 15 capable of breaking both barriers. For what it's worth, the 1600-800 double is much harder than the 1600-3200, only because at the state meet, you've got preliminary heats for both and no prelims for the 32.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

May 21st, 2010, 12:09 pm #10

Looks like McCarey is doubling too - 800 and 1600. Good for him!

Confirmation of reply: