Disappointing

Disappointing

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

November 23rd, 2011, 5:54 pm #1

How come we don't have pics of every finishing athlete? Not a single pic of my son this entire season taken. He even made it to CIF. Do they only take pics of certain schools?

old coach
old coach

November 23rd, 2011, 6:17 pm #2

Who would you like to perform this service? A professional who wants to sell pictures? Another parent?
My team is fortunate to have several parents who take pictures and even a few videos, which are then posted to our team site or linked from Flicker. In that way, parents can watch their kids compete and photograph the other races. Maybe your team parents can get together....

Chris Ruff
Chris Ruff

November 23rd, 2011, 6:19 pm #3

How come we don't have pics of every finishing athlete? Not a single pic of my son this entire season taken. He even made it to CIF. Do they only take pics of certain schools?
EOM

Chris Ruff
Chris Ruff

November 23rd, 2011, 6:22 pm #4

Who would you like to perform this service? A professional who wants to sell pictures? Another parent?
My team is fortunate to have several parents who take pictures and even a few videos, which are then posted to our team site or linked from Flicker. In that way, parents can watch their kids compete and photograph the other races. Maybe your team parents can get together....
then thought better of it and erased what I originally posted. I agree with you 100%. The disappointment can be easily quelled by photographing your own child and sharing those photos with them. Sherri Cortez started by taking pictures of her daughters and has now progressed into a darn good x-country and track photographer. Perhaps what we need is more of those parents to set up flicker accounts etc. and share them with everyone..that would be cool.

George Green
George Green

November 23rd, 2011, 8:52 pm #5

EOM
That's what I thought so I didn't bother with a response <EOM>

old coach
old coach

November 23rd, 2011, 9:46 pm #6

then thought better of it and erased what I originally posted. I agree with you 100%. The disappointment can be easily quelled by photographing your own child and sharing those photos with them. Sherri Cortez started by taking pictures of her daughters and has now progressed into a darn good x-country and track photographer. Perhaps what we need is more of those parents to set up flicker accounts etc. and share them with everyone..that would be cool.
I only paid attention to D1 this year, so I was most grateful to have the excellent detail about the other races of the day.
Thanks on behalf of all of the spectators.

Dennis McClanahan
Dennis McClanahan

November 23rd, 2011, 9:46 pm #7

Sherri and Gabriel to walk around with a sign saying "will take your athletes picture for $20" Guess you did not that.

Dennis McClanahan
Dennis McClanahan

November 23rd, 2011, 9:49 pm #8

To whoever this AC is....

Since I help set up the photographers throughout the year and also at this meet I will respond to this in a effort to assist you with your understanding of the pictures that many see.

Over the last three years I have been helping Dyestat, Milesplit, and Track Mag with getting pictures to go with results. Gabriel Santana, Andrew McClanahan, Sherri Cortez (added this year) and myself do our best to take pictures of SD athletes at various XC and Track Invitationals.

We use our own cameras and lenses, we get no money, no free food; get SDCIF Media passes and do our best to try and take pictures of SD athletes in action. We set up our own flickr accounts that cost money to have, not the free ones.

After a meet the photographers go home to proof and edit pictures. That may involve editing over 1500 pictures taken that day. Not every pic turns out in action photography. It usually take till sometime on Sunday to get them all done. Then they are posted on this site, Milesplit, and Dyestat for showing

I think that what we do for the kids in SD is pretty good compared to other types of media here in SD. But I will be the first to admit we show highlights, not every kid. And sometimes things happen that you can't plan for so you don't get all the picture you take.

Hope this helps

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

November 23rd, 2011, 10:41 pm #9

You folks do a great job. Thanks for all the photos over the years. Nice effort, nice work.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

November 23rd, 2011, 11:13 pm #10

In response to the original poster:

Probably because you didn't take any of your child.

I must have missed the part where the volunteers, coaches, other parents are required to take pictures of all children running, spend hours to edit them, post them and then notify each parent there is a picture of their child.

Then go back and remove pictures that parents/children don't like, or feel their privacy was violated.

Confirmation of reply: