Coaches, Please check your athletic.net marks....

Coaches, Please check your athletic.net marks....

Chris Ruff
Chris Ruff

March 15th, 2013, 7:07 am #1

23'9 long jump from a jumper who doesn't break 40 in the TJ and only jumped 18ft in his other two competitions this year. Podraza went from a 10'6 vaulter to a 16'6 vaulter, two girls from Mission Bay running sub 15 in the 100HH's(perhaps a VERY faulty hand time, or a short race)? If we're going to buy-in to athletic.net it is imperative that we do a better job vetting marks.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 15th, 2013, 3:55 pm #2

I thought you could just put what you wanted as a mark.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 15th, 2013, 4:22 pm #3

23'9 long jump from a jumper who doesn't break 40 in the TJ and only jumped 18ft in his other two competitions this year. Podraza went from a 10'6 vaulter to a 16'6 vaulter, two girls from Mission Bay running sub 15 in the 100HH's(perhaps a VERY faulty hand time, or a short race)? If we're going to buy-in to athletic.net it is imperative that we do a better job vetting marks.
well... I would make sure the marks you post are correct also (understanding you are not in total control) - there are some marks from Frosh Soph (Mira Mesa) that are not correct... you have guys in the wrong heat with the wrong time(s)

Not saying...only saying...sometimes the marks that are posted are mistakes - you as a knowledgeable coach should be able to differentiate legit times/marks especially with dual meet results and being this early in the season...

no system will be totally accurate - athletic.net is a great source but not end all be all

Chris Rurff
Chris Rurff

March 15th, 2013, 4:57 pm #4

When the meet was over, I went through every check-in sheet and checked every name against the final results. If there were names wrong, they checked in as someone else. Additionally, those marks can be overridden and names changed in each teams team page, which is what most coaches do. Again, I checked EVERY heat sheet against the final results, so if there is time attributed to the wrong kid, he/she showed up in the wrong heat or ran as someone else, that can't be determined by anyone but the athlete or the coach of that athlete. In other words, due diligence was followed.

When dual meet times are entered as state top 5 times, or national in the long jumper's case, some kind of bell needs to go off. Dual meet marks had to be entered by the coach or his/her helpers into athletic.net, most likely by hand rather than from an Hy-Tek file. Athletic.net has no vetting process...you can enter WHATEVER you want as a mark, which is one of it's weaknesses. At no point did I describe athletic.net as a program lacking value as a resource; my plea was for coaches to please "Check" your athletic.net marks in order to maintain the integrity of the marks being presented. It wasn't a personal attack, it was an attempt at getting the correct marks reported. I use athletic.net to gain research for announcing meets, college coaches use it to evaluate talent.....it should be taken seriously and reviewed to the best of one's abilities.

So, back to the original request.....coaches, PLEASE review your athletic.net marks and adjust where necessary. Especially when you have 5 foot improvements in the long jump and 3 second improvements in the hurdles.

Every Year
Every Year

March 15th, 2013, 7:43 pm #5

Yeah. Here comes the charge of the 100 and 200 meter hand times that the runners will never come close to touching the rest of the year with auto marks.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 15th, 2013, 8:05 pm #6

you mean the teacher out of postion timing a 10.60 is not accurate

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 15th, 2013, 8:22 pm #7

noticed at a couple invites that some officials are behind the board and calling fair or foul. Best position is along the board. And no not talking about Floyd.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

March 16th, 2013, 12:49 am #8

you mean the teacher out of postion timing a 10.60 is not accurate
LOL

Cameron Gary
Cameron Gary

March 18th, 2013, 12:30 am #9

You are absolutely correct...someone should correct that mark... it is an obvious typo....

Confirmation of reply: