Coach Doyle Steel's Perspective on Long Jumping

Coach Doyle Steel's Perspective on Long Jumping

Doyle Steel
Doyle Steel

May 16th, 2012, 3:19 am #1

I usually have deep reservations on commenting on any current or past athletes' ability or accomplishments.

However, Tom Hunt hit the takeoff board perfectly with his comments regarding an athlete's proper preparation and mindset. As I learned myself 46 years ago, phenomenal distances can be achieved when the perfect body angle is in position during takeoff.

Do not be surprised if a few young ladies reach the 20' long jump barrier (or very close to it) in the next three weeks.

The Ladies Long Jump competition will be worth the price of admission. See you there at the CIF Prelims, Finals and State Meet!

JUMP FOR THE STARS!!!

JC
JC

May 16th, 2012, 5:41 am #2

Hit the takeoff board perfectly HA..looking forward to seeing everyone there this saturday

Cameron Gary
Cameron Gary

May 16th, 2012, 6:36 am #3

I usually have deep reservations on commenting on any current or past athletes' ability or accomplishments.

However, Tom Hunt hit the takeoff board perfectly with his comments regarding an athlete's proper preparation and mindset. As I learned myself 46 years ago, phenomenal distances can be achieved when the perfect body angle is in position during takeoff.

Do not be surprised if a few young ladies reach the 20' long jump barrier (or very close to it) in the next three weeks.

The Ladies Long Jump competition will be worth the price of admission. See you there at the CIF Prelims, Finals and State Meet!

JUMP FOR THE STARS!!!
As always, YOU hit the take-off board perfectly also. You and Rodney Van are two of the jump coaches whom I know and trust the most re: your insights and perspectives. Your words carry a lot of weight.

I hope you saw the video and read my earlier posts. Jasmine Gibbs hit a great jump. As Thom said, folks should accept it. Watch the video, folks! It was a good jump. From what I saw (and have seen from her ability) it was not a fluke. She will probably do it again. I don't know why some folks can't just be happy for her.

Confirmation of reply: