Music and Ronins

Threads so great we want to keep them forever!

Jul 7 2016, 01:58 AM #76

My best friend and co-author turned me on to them. Their Astoria, Ever After, and Masterpiece Theatre are all just amazing. Yes, I can never ever ever ever listen to Wildfire without thinking of Ryo! It's awful...but not. Obviously. Since I'm not the only one. :D I haven't really thought of many more of the songs as being Ronin-centric, but I've written a lot while listening to Trench. It's been a little bit since I've listened to the whole of the latest album, though... I should do that, like, right now. While I'm writing my current Ronin fanfic, of course. ^_^

Skillet has a bunch of songs I've wanted to use for angsty stories, haha. Maybe one day I'll get to them... *glances sideways at long list of uncompleted stories*

Ooooh 30 Seconds to Mars is a cool band. I've sadly only really listened to one of their songs (This Is War), but as with some of the other stuff on here, they've all given me fic ideas I haven't gotten to flesh out yet... *sighs* (And actually someone might've made an AMV to this for RW...although I could be confusing it with FMA. Which was flippin' awesome. And speaking of AMVs, someone also made a Sage one to Blow Me Away by Breaking Benjamin.)

...Ohyeah, there was that one idea a friend and I had of turning Adam Lambert's For Your Entertainment into a Ronin slash fic... ^^; *shoves bunny back in cage* Back, evildoer!
[color=22FF66]"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." ~ Hero's Shade, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess[/color]

White-Pumpkins
Martial Artist
White-Pumpkins
Martial Artist

Jul 7 2016, 08:12 PM #77

I'm loving the variety we all have in our song choices. XD These are all great!

I like to have music to help set the tone of the stories I write and often I get scenes are are inspired by the music. I don't go looking for music as theme songs for the guys per say but of course ones pop up that remind me of them. Once upon a time I had a bunch of youtube playlists but I've moved to Spotify because better variety and don't worry a vid will be taken down because 'copywrite issues.'

Skillet is also really great for inspiration! I'd also recommend the band Apocolyptica, they are a metal instrumental band blending the cello and violin into rock/metal sounds.

Anywho I shall share some of what I got

Might Long Fall by One OK Rock has become the theme song for A Part. It's got a great beat to it!
Immortals by Fall Out Boy has just always struck me as a great song for the guys.
Hiten from the Rurouni Kenshin Live Action OST is not only from a kick butt movie but the track just fits the guys on the battlefeild.
Everybody Wants to Rule the World, specifically LORDE's cover of the song.

Shipping! For we are all guilty of this to one extent or the other

Ryo x Rachel
I Can't Lose You Twice
Not Strong Enough
Comatose

Rowen x Sileny
Over and Over
Broken

Character themes that have popped up:

Ryo
Hallway Fight
A World on Fire
Heat

Sage
See It, Remember
Drive

Cye
Prologue (Apprehension)
Bjorn’s Choice from Vikings Season 2 OST (can't link song, sorry)

Kento
Distraction
Fogwell's Gym

Rowen
Misconstruction
The Sunstone from Vikings Season 1 OST (Can't link this one either)

Rachel
There is a Place
Mirena

Sileny
Faraway
Ragnar Meets Ingstad from the Vikings Season 2 OST (can't link)

Jul 7 2016, 10:07 PM #78

Oh, Immortal is a great one! Hadn't considered applying it to the guys, as I have another fandom it suits better (well, Phoenix suits that, anyway), but I do love that song. Centuries, too, would probably be a good one for the Ronin.
[color=22FF66]"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." ~ Hero's Shade, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess[/color]

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Jul 9 2016, 04:02 PM #79

Fall Out Boy's "Centuries" actually reminds me of the Warlords more. Nicklback's songs "Someday" and "How You Remind Me" has always reminded me of the Warlords, too.

Samurai Reflections -- Now with Tumblr!
"Damn those dumb people. Don't they realize you have more important things to do, like write awesome stories about hot guys?" ~Mel
I'm in the "Kento is Hot Club" because he is a fine piece of ass.

White-Pumpkins
Martial Artist
White-Pumpkins
Martial Artist

Jul 9 2016, 05:02 PM #80

Ty-Chou @ Jul 9 2016, 09:02 AM wrote:Fall Out Boy's "Centuries" actually reminds me of the Warlords more. Nicklback's songs "Someday" and "How You Remind Me" has always reminded me of the Warlords, too.
Agreed.
"Will I" from Rent has also oddly struck me as a song for the Warlords. No idea why. "I Don't Care" by Apocalyptica with Adam Gontier (three days grace) is another.

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Jun 7 2017, 02:59 AM #81

I just found this song, "Electric Blue" from Icehouse. The instruments and the sound of the song is very similar to the same instruments and sound from the show and vocal CDs. And I just love the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwdNIF2GEs

Samurai Reflections -- Now with Tumblr!
"Damn those dumb people. Don't they realize you have more important things to do, like write awesome stories about hot guys?" ~Mel
I'm in the "Kento is Hot Club" because he is a fine piece of ass.

Suzaku
White Belt
Suzaku
White Belt

Jun 12 2017, 04:44 PM #82

Edit: OK, I'm done. =_=;;

I don't understand these suggestions, you all know that Ryo only listens to Linkin Park... CRAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN

I definitely have music playing about all the time when I'm drawing. I have a bunch of playlists for general moods or if I'm shooting for a certain theme in general, but a lot of my picks are based on feeling and energy.

There's also a lot of cheese. It's fun, but it's so cheesy. If you want to listen to power metal riffing on wizards and dragons written by guys who look like they just got back from LARP-fest, I have a million tunes to send your way.

-------------------------

General

Thrice
- The Alchemy Index, Vols 1 & 2: Fire & Water - Digital Sea
- The Alchemy Index, Vols 3 & 4: Air & Earth
- Really down tempo stuff great for background listening and mood setting. Thrice was a fun bordering-emo band back in the day, their sound has matured a lot in recent years.

Hadouken - Parasite
- The whole 'Every Weekend' album is great

Symphony X - The End of Innocence, Candlelight Fantasia

Bullet for my Valentine - Scream Aim Fire

Trivium - In Waves
- I love a lot of Trivium in general, they're one of my favs.

Character-centric feeling stuff

Ryo
Anthrax - Safe Home
Trivium - Shogun, Silence in the Snow
The battle goes / On and on / Make your stand

Touma
L'arc~en~Ciel - Dive To Blue, My Heart Draws a Dream

Seiji
Boss & Swan - Raging Bull

Shu
Unleash the Archers - Tonight We Ride
I’ll find my destination / don’t tell me where to go
I won’t give in this time / feel the power
Not this time / scream it louder

Shin
Nightwish - Nemo
Glay - Winter, Again
I love Glay D:

Nasuti
Nightwish - White Night Fantasy
Crestfallen soul / Rest for this night
Love is here / Right here under my wings

Jun & Nasuti
Nightwish - Dark Chest of Wonders
Not the music so much, but the lyrics make me think of opening Pandora's box, or looking at a strange new world through a child's eyes
Dark chest of wonders / Seen through the eyes / Of the one with pure heart

Shuten
Killswitch Engage - In Due Time
All in due time / see the world through different eyes

Naaza
Alice Cooper - Poison
I didn't wanna but it's almost an obligation to go with this :/

Rajura
Avantasia - The Toy Master
I come to bring you pain / and a little Novocaine
Welcome to my world / to my toy factory

Anubisu
Wintersun - Death and the Healing
A snowstorm blew inside a wolf's eyes / And the frozen tears covered all the mountainsides
But then the time got by and the wolf died / And someday that wolf would be I

Or if you follow my blog... *sobs*

Kayura
Dream Theater - Through the Looking Glass (when she's evil)
You are caught up in the gravity / glorifying stardom / singing your own praise

MaRiA - Girls (for sassy post-evil Kayura)
I didn’t come here to listen to you talk yourself up / What exactly are you aiming to make happen with me?

Post-series off-screen Warlordy redemption arc
Dragonforce - Seasons
The words are dying in the night / No winter lasts forever
The seasons pass and the sunlight will shine / On my life again
So let the past now burn down in flames

For my OCs

Kotori
Kamelot - Center of the Universe
Hemenway - Caress of Venus (L'arc Cover)
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Loki (villain from another rp that I'm gonna repurpose & post a profile for later)
Ghost - Square Hammer
HIM - Vampire Heart, Join Me in Death
This band in general fits him aesthetically

Gamma Ray - Armageddon
Now all you sinners / this is the prophecy
the revelation of your own destiny
You had a dream once / a dream that you have sold
And now my brothers / annihilation is foretold

And now for the cheese

Edguy - Vain Glory Opera

Heavenly - The World Will Be Better
Troopers protecting the earth and nature and stuff

Dragonforce - My Spirit Will Go On
The epitome of cheese here. Makes me think of an epic battle, but oh I laugh every time I listen to this

Dragonland - In Perfect Harmony
The entire Starfall album

And the parting shot

I dunno which of you brought up boy bands first, but try to picture the guys performing this hotness (I still can't believe this isn't a parody)...
🌸 🌸 🌸 🌸 🌸
Ask Yoroiden Samurai Troopers!

Jun 12 2017, 05:01 PM #83

Ty-Chou wrote:Nicklback's songs "Someday" and "How You Remind Me" has always reminded me of the Warlords, too.
Somehow I managed to miss this when you first posted it... Whoops. XD I love those songs! Again, I fell in love with them for another fandom, but I could totally see them going for the Ronin, too.

Two more songs I've discovered (again thanks to a friend...seriously I get like half my music from them, I swear xD) are The Wanted's Lightning and ATL's Take Cover from their new album. The first one would be a Sage romance song, and the second I see as sort of a "group vs the world falling apart" song, maybe. Sort of a follow-on to the Future Hearts songs from earlier.
Ty-Chou wrote:I just found this song, "Electric Blue" from Icehouse. The instruments and the sound of the song is very similar to the same instruments and sound from the show and vocal CDs. And I just love the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwdNIF2GEs
Also, this song is awesome. Love that 80s feel! (I practically grew up on 70s and 80s thanks to my dad... :lol:)

Jul 9 2017, 12:00 AM #84

Juuuust gonna throw this one out there. Anyone else seeing a Cye AU story set on an ocean? No? Just me? >.>

Stormwatcher
Martial Artist
Stormwatcher
Martial Artist

Jul 9 2017, 10:38 PM #85

I don't understand these suggestions, you all know that Ryo only listens to Linkin Park
Of course! Because he sounds so much like Chester, it's easy for him to sing along to! Seriously, when I heard 'In The End', I was like, "...Ryo?" And I used 'New Divide' as inspiration for my story-trio, Home & Kin, Corruption, and New Ally. "I remembered black skies, the lightning all around me..."

On a lighter note, 'Calypso' by John Denver is absolutely perfect for Cye.

Oh yeah, and a friend just lately sent me the Top Gun Anthem soundtrack; it's instrumental and it really has the 80's sound. The first part sounds sort of Message-ish to me, but the second part is definitely combative and I could see all kinds of classic or Kikoutei stuff going on to that background.

YouTube Top Gun Anthem

Jul 9 2017, 11:50 PM #86

Stormwatcher @ Jul 9 2017, 06:38 PM wrote:Oh yeah, and a friend just lately sent me the Top Gun Anthem soundtrack; it's instrumental and it really has the 80's sound.  The first part sounds sort of Message-ish to me, but the second part is definitely combative and I could see all kinds of classic or Kikoutei stuff going on to that background.

YouTube Top Gun Anthem
Squee! Totally just made my day with that suggestion. I love the Top Gun theme! Another cheesy 80s classic... :lol: (My pipe band director actually rearranged it for the bagpipes. It. Is. Flippin. AWESOME!)

And yes, yes it absolutely would make a FANTASTIC Kikoutei/battle sequence backdrop. :D

Raiden
White Belt
Raiden
White Belt

May 14 2018, 10:57 AM #87

Now that new Super Robot Wars games were released, I've found more bgm themes for the RW cast~

Ryo in Kikoutei: Coupling Mode from Buddy Complex, Heroism from Getter Robo Armageddon
Talpa: Hungry beasts from Super Robot Wars X (final boss theme; it's speed metal with a choir)
Kento: Great Dash from Brave Express Might Gaine
"I'm pleased to meet you, Professor Balderdash. My name's Itagne. It was good of you to introduce yourself. Thanks awfully, old boy." -The Hidden City (David Eddings)

lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom