30th ANNIVERSARY FANZINE PROJECT

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Aug 16 2017, 12:12 AM #1

The information below has been updated September 9, 2017.

I was contacted by Jellybean-Catbird and she was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the project and has decided to step down from running it. We wish her all the best and hope to see some submissions from her. I was not expecting to run this project, but I guess I am now, so here we go. I’ll do the best that I can.

Here, as usual, is a website link with the information in a handy spot you can always find: http://samuraireflections.com/fanzine/zinemain.html

I have updated it slightly since I can now make solid decisions without waiting for feedback from another party. This will be a non-profit fanzine where fans will be able to buy a copy online at cost to make it as cheap as possible. Currently, I am looking at Blurb.com for printing and we’ll do the 8x10 size, soft cover and full color. If anyone has other places they would like me to look at and consider, please let me know.

I am going to start setting periodic/monthly goals for those participating to keep everyone on schedule.

For September: I need everyone planning on participating to e-mail me at rwfanzine@gmail.com. I need to know what you are planning to submit to help get a better idea of how many pages this book will be. If we are low on art, it will allow us to be more generous with the length of written submissions.

I need the number of art pieces you plan to submit and a brief description. For short stories: a brief summary, word count if you have it or a rough estimate of length. For articles: topic and brief description. Word count estimate if you have it.

Sending an e-mail will also ensure you receive personal updates to the project by a member of staff as well as periodic reminders and requests for updates toward the deadline to keep you on schedule.

Samurai Reflections -- Now with Tumblr!
"Damn those dumb people. Don't they realize you have more important things to do, like write awesome stories about hot guys?" ~Mel
I'm in the "Kento is Hot Club" because he is a fine piece of ass.

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Aug 16 2017, 12:39 AM #2

Hey guys, since this is a project we want everyone involved in, we would like to hear thoughts from you about a couple things in particular.

1. How the fanzine should be sold.

Jellybean-Catbird and I have been butting heads on this topic and I'd like to get some thoughts from you guys. I proposed selling the zine at cost. Meaning anyone who wants a copy would just go to the website and purchase it for the cost of printing and shipping. We would make the zine as low cost as we possibly could so anyone who wanted a copy could afford it. No one would make any money of the project. It would be a gift to the fan community from its members.

Jellybean-Catbird thought it would be fun to sell it at conventions. But the idea of any one person making profit from a project where many people contributed could be problematic. Attempts to pay the whole gaggle of people that are going to no doubt be involved in the project a tiny percentage of each sale seems like a monumental task of itself. It also means that purchasing a copy would be a lot more expensive in order to make a profit.

Thoughts anyone?

2. What do you want to see in the fanzine?

This project is by fans for fans. What are your hopes and expectations for this final product? What do you guys think about the allowance of fan article submissions? What would be some good ideas for articles? Is there anything else you'd like to see in this book? Share your ideas! We want everyone involved!

3. Submitting old content.

I'm torn on whether we should make it a requirement that only new, unpublished works will be welcome as submissions. This isn't a secret, hush-hush project, but I would like the final reveal of the book to be a surprise and perhaps you only get certain content if you buy the book and it's not available anywhere else. Thoughts?

4. Alerting fans to the project.

I'd really like to reach out to fans who used to be a staple in the community but aren't currently active so they have an opportunity to contribute to the project if they want. People like Swiftgold, Dawn Sanada, Mirror and Image... I'm sure there's many more, but I can't think right now. If anyone knows how to get in touch with any old fans they know of, please drop them a line and let them know about the project so they can participate if they would like to.

Thanks everyone! We are eager to hear your thoughts!

"Damn those dumb people. Don't they realize you have more important things to do, like write awesome stories about hot guys?" ~Mel

emwing
White Belt
emwing
White Belt

Aug 16 2017, 02:57 AM #3

This sounds like a ton of fun, and also a challenge for our small community for sure. I have experience with this kind of project, and I hope that some of it can help. I don't have tumblr, but I'm also happy to help out with the graphic design and production side as well.

1. When I submitted art to a comic anthology, the sales arrangement was as follows:

-everyone who submitted received one (1) free copy of the book (however, payment was required to cover the shipping cost).

-if artists/authors wanted additional copies to sell at conventions, they could buy a quantity of the book for a steeply discounted price (essentially at the print-cost plus shipping), and then were allowed to sell at whatever price they wanted at conventions to cover their own costs.

-everyone who submitted was encouraged to promote on their galleries and social media networks with the anthology's main site for buying the book at full price which was set to generate a standard profit (double the print-cost) that was meant to be used for the next anthology and help out the team producing the book.

I'm not sure if this model would be appropriate for this fanzine, as I'm not sure what you and Jellybean-Catbird have in mind for a printing service (would you be using an online print-on-demand service or would you buy a large quantity up front and distribute/manage inventory as needed?). There are pros and cons to both.

2. With the submission max for fan art currently set at 5, there could be some trouble keeping the book layout clean and consistent between multiple entries. From a publishing standpoint, we want to watch out for "odd numbers". What I mean by this is that when it comes time to layout the book, it's easier to work within increments of 4. A book is almost always printed with pages in sets of 4; grab a single sheet of paper and fold it in half--you now have four pages, and to build a book, repeat this and insert the folded sheets into one another. With a book being 8.5x11 for its final size, the printer will be using 11x17 sheets that they will fold in half to produce the final product. This will be especially noticeable if the book is saddle-stitched (stapled together along the fold).

From a production-cost standpoint, black and white/grayscale images would be cheapest, but from a fan standpoint, nothing beats full color.

Personally, I'd love to see straight-up fan art, no OCs or very minimal OC-centric stuff. This is our first American-made fanzine! If it could be completely centered around the series itself, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm just one of many fans and majority rules in this democracy.

I'd also love to see artist bios! The anthology I was in put the bios in the back of the book, treating them like movie credits. There was a maximum word count and space enough for a standardized picture/logo. This was a nice way to allow the participants to talk a bit about themselves and promote their own sites.

3. Old content? Hard to say. Perhaps put a cap on the old stuff, like nothing older than 2 years from the deadline if it was already published somewhere?

Also ask about NSFW or 18+ content? I'm not sure if this applies to our community, but it was something that had to be addressed in the anthology.

4. Social media's going to be your best friend here. There's recently been a fair amount of activity on Facebook with the armor plus fan page, but the series page itself has been pretty quiet. I don't know who runs either one, but the armor plus is pretty responsive (seems to be someone Italian?).

5. Additional thoughts:

-For the art stuff, I highly recommend sending out a page template that will help with individual page layouts. This is something that'll prevent important parts of art from being accidentally cut off, especially text if it's in a word-balloon. This'll come into play if the final printing service won't do full-page bleeds and instead forces a border that cuts off art rather than shrinking it.

-For the writing stuff, again, a template may be a friend to your future selves. If you can, find a font and font size that is nice and legible at the print size while still representing our fandom (I've been a fan of Google Fonts Quicksand lately myself). Google Docs are pretty popular, and since there's spell-check built in, it'll save some time down the road, especially since you'll also be able to preview the page count. I'm not sure if you want to encourage name consistency with this book, like should everyone be identifying Touma as Touma or Rowen/Rowan?

-This thought may be too much work, but the anthology I was in issued a few milestone deadlines to help keep the project moving forward, and they sent emails around those deadlines as well. I'm using example dates for what they did below:

a. on August 31st, interested parties had to have submitted their contact information along with their project proposal (what is it, how many pages, color or black and white, etc).
Doing this let the anthology team get an early idea of how big the book was going to be, which allowed them to start looking for printing services and do cost and production comparisons.

b. on September 1st, templates and due dates were sent to all interested participants.
Having this sent out as soon as possible to participants gave everyone the foundation to get started right away.

c. on October 1st, sketches/1st drafts were "due".
Nothing actually had to be submitted, but this was a checkpoint to see if projects were moving along according to the pitch or if things were changing drastically (example: did a proposed comic of 8 pages change to become 2 pages?).

d. on November 1st, tightened art/2nd drafts were "due".
Again, nothing had to be submitted, but another checkpoint to again confirm projects were staying on course.

e. on January 31st, everything including the artist bio and artist image were due.
Ideally there would've been a checkpoint in between this one and the previous, but I think you get what I mean at this point; for the example dates, I was trying to avoid the holidays.

If participants didn't respond to the checkpoint emails within a week, then they supposedly forfeited their spot in the book. However, I'm pretty sure the production team was flexible because, in the end, the entire schedule was adjusted to add an extra month for all artists to get their stuff done.

I hope this helps. And again, I'd be more than happy to also help with the graphic design/production side if you'd like. Shoot me a pm and I'll send you my personal email address to ensure you'll reach me.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what our community can do!

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Aug 16 2017, 10:47 PM #4

First of all Emwing, THANK YOU for all the feedback and suggestions. This is a lot of great information. I was thinking about addressing all your points, but that's going to take more sit down time than I have this week.

So I'll cover a few more pertinent points that were brought up.

No OCs or 18+ content. Only characters from the show and the content will be the same rating found in the show and the art books.

I do like the idea of submitter bios. We will have to put together a form or guidelines for submitters to fill out.

I also like the idea of milestone deadlines. We may do this as well.

Thank you one again for all this information. You've given us some great information to ruminate on. And we'll keep you in mind if we need more help on the staff. I've already got one other person who proofreads and works in advertising professionally to help with layout, but we'll see if we need more when submissions start coming in.

RaeSeddon
Martial Artist
RaeSeddon
Martial Artist

Aug 17 2017, 09:01 PM #5

Hey, so first of all I'm hyped that articles are being considered for submission because I've had a "meta" about the Message OVA that I've wanted to tighten up into an actual academic article for ages-- it mostly deals with the historical and cultural background of the movie, and how that feeds into and shapes it's central theme.

Any hard limits on word count for articles? I'm an English major and I don't want to go too crazy, but this is my bread and butter and something I've wanted to do for a really, really long time.

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Aug 17 2017, 11:05 PM #6

We are pressing for brevity on both articles and short stories. I would gear it to more of an entertainment genre than an academic publication. Maybe make an abridged version of the article for the zine.

RaeSeddon
Martial Artist
RaeSeddon
Martial Artist

Aug 18 2017, 03:24 PM #7

Alright, I'll see what I can do-- I have fiction pieces as well but they're old and I'm more confident in my non-fiction writing at this point.

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Sep 9 2017, 03:33 PM #8

I have updates and new information for you all. Please read the beginning post.

And please e-mail rwfanzine@gmail.com with information on what you plan to submit.

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Sep 19 2017, 02:05 AM #9

Hey guys, just a reminder, if you plan on participating in the zine, please e-mail me at rwfanzine@gmail.com. I need numbers by the end of September.

I am trying to get an estimate of how many people plan to participate. So far, the numbers have been very low. If I can’t get a good number of people to participate (I’m estimating around 20 or so) then I don’t think it will be worth the effort to put something together for publishing.

We still could have some kind of community event, but probably something a little less high maintenance than a published book. So if you were planning on participating, definitely let me know and let me know what you were planning on submitting.

emwing
White Belt
emwing
White Belt

Sep 20 2017, 04:42 PM #10

I sent a facebook message to the RW/YST page with the link to the fanzine info. Hopefully they'll post something about it for other fans to see and respond.

LegendsGuardian
Subarmor

Sep 21 2017, 12:57 AM #11

The FB group posted the information :) Took me about twenty minutes to remember my password to log into here, but I figured it out! Very happy to see this. I'll shoot you an e-mail through the "official channel" Ty-Chou. Be happy to help in whatever way I can :)
“Oh man,” the teen visibly winced. “I can’t get over it! I’ve seen the Ronin Warriors fight plenty of times. But that? Geez-“
“Don’t say it,” Mia blandly commented cutting him off.
“Huh?”
Mia gave a roll of her eyes, “That they got creamed.
“Creamed?” He cried out before stating, “Mi, come on! They got their butts handed to them on a silver platter with gold inlay.”
“Yuli!”
-TGOL Book 4: The Ending of an Era

Ty-Chou
Ancient One
Ty-Chou
Ancient One

Sep 24 2017, 03:52 PM #12

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

amisam
Martial Artist
amisam
Martial Artist

Oct 3 2017, 04:33 PM #13

I just got back from France, so this is the first time I'm seeing this. XP
Sounds like a fund project! Good luck to everyone.
~Seize the day!~

emwing
White Belt
emwing
White Belt

Dec 26 2017, 05:52 AM #14

https://www.emily-wing.com/rwfanzine/im ... uma-lg.jpg
(for whatever reason, I can't insert an image into my post...)

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having/had a safe, healthy, and happy holiday.

The 30th Anniversary Fanzine project is moving forward, and submissions are still very welcome. Check here for the project update and info! If you have any questions, feel free to reply here or send an email to rwfanzine@gmail.com.

Thanks, and I hope to chat with you guys in the new year! :D

Confirmation of reply: