Rabbit chasing

Why does my saluki...? How can I teach my saluki lurcher...?

Rabbit chasing

The Pres
The Pres

Jul 7 2014, 02:28 PM #1

Hello;
I now have my Saluki Lurcher 16 months. He's a rescue dog and at the start he was very nervous and shy.Also his recall let an lot to be desired.
However after plenty of TLC and patience he is now a wonderful pet and very much part of our family.
He gets me up early in the morning for a walk which I reallly enjoy as well.
He also gets a run in the evening but a part from that he is very happy to laze around.
We go to a park in the morning where there are plenty of rabbits running about.
Sometimes he goes after them but when he gets close to one of them he always seemed to back of. To me it looked as if he just enjoyed the chase.
However yesterday morning he actually caught one.What he did was run over to some hedgeing and bury the poor thing.
Then again this morning he caught another one and did the same thing.
I dont know what to do about this or if I can do anything.
Can you help?

LurcherGirl
Top Dog

Jul 8 2014, 08:59 AM #2

I am not quite sure where the burying thing comes from. Perhaps any of our members that work their salukis and know more about the salukis' hunting behaviour knows more?
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, MAPDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

The Pres
The Pres

Jul 9 2014, 01:47 PM #3

Hello;
Maybe bury is to strong a word. An accurate description would be to hide it in hedgeing or undergrowth. Sorry about that.
He does the same thing sometimes when he gets a treat.He gets all excited and looks for somewhere to hide it !!

susie fischer

Jul 10 2014, 09:38 AM #4

Salukis and saluki x's often mature slowly and so his recent change to killing the rabbits is just him maturing. I expect the hiding of the rabbit is natural instinct to save it for a later time when he is hungry.

I don't work my dogs as such but I don't discourage them from chasing rabbits. I took in a bitch at 3 yrs of age who would not work with her then owner for whatever reasons but who has developed a prey drive since living with my pack. If any of my pack catch a rabbit, she will retrieve it to me. My cream bitch who also came to me as a "failed worker" will kill, given the opportunity, but because she has never been trained to retrieve will generally make a half hearted attempt to cover it or simply leaves it and Willow will pick it up and bring it to me.

My borzoi bitch on the other hand, lets the others do the work and then whenever possible steals the rabbit and eats it!

I think your dog is just doing what a running dog is designed to do. Chase, catch, kill. Because he is not wild and is well fed the fourth stage, to eat his catch, is not
necessary so he just saves it for later. Clever dog!

The Pres
The Pres

Jul 15 2014, 08:07 AM #5

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.

Sep 22 2014, 01:30 AM #6

Its in the dogs natural instincts to do this, my girls were bred to be workers and to be honest it can be hard work to get a dog to chase etc. But when a dog naturally does it and you want to stop them it will be a near impossible task as well as recall when they are focused on that one thing can be a very hard thing to do as well
My suggestion would be to keep the dog on the lead until all the rabbits have gone maybe just take a walk around the area you run him before letting him off, and if he pulls when he sees one use basic obedience training to stop him .....easier said than done because its a natural instinct..
As for the hiding them my girl will bury her bone or toy under the bedding she has but when she catches rabbits etc. will just lie down until I retrieve it from her

slookimum

Sep 5 2015, 11:27 PM #7

My saluki boy loves to chase rabbits, foxes etc, but when he actually gets to them backs off or tries to engage them in play. He also does bury a lot of things that he loves. Guess your dog is combining these behaviours.