Your score: 95 - 2xGIR

Your score: 95 - 2xGIR

August 1st, 2012, 11:30 pm #1

The above formula has been found to be the most accurate predictor of a person's score, when compared to other possible stats such as number of putts, number of pars or better, fairways hit, etc.

I've been watching it this year on my scorecards. Normally I cannot achieve the predicted score. This shows a short game and/or putting to be lacking. Which is true. Since I've gone back to the IMA grip, I'm hitting greens again. It's typical to hit 8,9,10 greens. But my scores are not in the 70's as the formula suggests. I did have one score that hit the predicted number. On that day I barely missed several greens and was able to chip close and make putts.

Try it out on your scores and see how you stack up.

August 2nd, 2012, 3:29 am #2

My formula is based on 8 GIR = 79. For every GIR over 8 I subtract 1.5 strokes from 79. For every green below 8 I add 1.5 strokes to 79.

Tom

gsw

August 2nd, 2012, 11:35 pm #3

The above formula has been found to be the most accurate predictor of a person's score, when compared to other possible stats such as number of putts, number of pars or better, fairways hit, etc.

I've been watching it this year on my scorecards. Normally I cannot achieve the predicted score. This shows a short game and/or putting to be lacking. Which is true. Since I've gone back to the IMA grip, I'm hitting greens again. It's typical to hit 8,9,10 greens. But my scores are not in the 70's as the formula suggests. I did have one score that hit the predicted number. On that day I barely missed several greens and was able to chip close and make putts.

In my game I have found that chipping or pitching the ball close seems to be the determining factor as to whether I shoot a good round or not. I usually putt about the same and my long game is fairly steady. If I can chip and pitch the ball up close all day then I can get around the course in close to a par score but if I leave myself 10 to 15 foot par putts all day then I don't score so well.

I think that most golfers have about a ten stroke margin in their 18 hole scores no matter how good or bad a golfer is. A pro might shoot 62 on his best day and 72 on his worst day and have an average score of 67 while an amateur may shoot 85 on his best day and 95 on his worst day and average 90. Either way the stroke swing is usually about ten strokes.

Stan

August 3rd, 2012, 3:03 am #4

My formula is based on 8 GIR = 79. For every GIR over 8 I subtract 1.5 strokes from 79. For every green below 8 I add 1.5 strokes to 79.

Tom
Both formulas give 79 with 8 GIR. I wish I could get there! I'm closer to 95 - GIRs. Tonight I had 12 GIRs and shot 82. I think I only got up and down once, and I had a couple ridiculous holes. Apparently guys who can hit double digits GIRs should be better golfers than I am.

August 13th, 2012, 2:52 pm #5

think I am also like 95-GIR and I think that has to do with my horrible putting (way too many 3-putts). I think the formula is probably fairly accurate for an average putter though!